HR Sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:03 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
HR Sway bar

Does anybody have one? I'd like to hear an opinion. Especially if you've compared it with a comtech...

Those teflon bushings with a 'lifetime greasing' are what I really want...
Old 04-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They look alittle pricey compared to a comptech, but they make a front and rear for the 3rd gen

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/...honda_arb.html

H&R Sway Bars
H&R Sway Bars are the perfect compliment to H&R Springs, Coil Overs, Performance Shocks and Cup Kits.

Designed to reduce body roll, increase lateral stiffness and improve handling, H&R Sway Bars are crafted from a special 50CrV4 spring steel that is both stronger and more resilient than competitive sway bars. H&R Sway Bars are bent on proprietary machines designed by H&R that seamlessly produce beautiful complex curves making H&R Sway Bars a perfect fit for your vehicle.

Also included are H&R exclusive bushings made from a Purim / Teflon composite that eliminates squeaks, and don't require lubrication. That means no mess, no maintenance-just bolt in H&R Sway Bars and go!

$466
Old 04-19-2006, 11:17 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder if it would be worth it to do the H&R front with the Comptech rear...
Old 04-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
I am just now starting to order parts for my car and I will be getting the H&R sway bars for my '06 TL. Once I do I will let you all know what I think.

This may be a really dumb question but I notice that everyone replaces the sway bars on the TL but what about the strut bar?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:42 PM
RAR

we already have a pretty beefy strut bar. this hr strut bar may be one of the first I've seen designed for the 3g. lots of people talk about using greddy and what not, but those are accord strut bars.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
If I remember correctly, the H&R FSB is larger than the stock FSB (28mm vs. 25mm AT/27mm MT)...increasing the thickness of the FSB will increase understeer...not sure why you would want to do that. The H&R RSB is the same size as the CT RSB and will therefore have the same effect...failing to see how the additional $$ is justified.

Some people have replaced the strut bar; however, there is not currently a strut bar for the 3G TL...the people that replaced theirs used ones for 7G Accords. There are a couple of threads in the Photograph section about this...members who have done it are ACCURATEin and I want to say JDM5lugHatch, but I'm not sure.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by chill_dog
If I remember correctly, the H&R FSB is larger than the stock FSB (28mm vs. 25mm AT/27mm MT)...increasing the thickness of the FSB will increase understeer...not sure why you would want to do that.
If this is the case why are people putting them on their cars? Also, why would they be sold to the general public as opposed to a race setting where you may need to adjust under and over steer?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:27 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Well...if you spend a lot of time on these boards (and I do for one)...you'll find you're probably the first and only person to consider putting on the FSB. I haven't seen one other person do it yet due to the understeer issue. But to answer your other question, why would they sell them? Because they can and they make a ton of $$ selling RSBs for that price and FSBs for an unusually high price, and someone obviously buys them somewhere...lol. Doesn't mean it's the right product for this car though, or that it's a good idea, or I think you'd see a ton of us doing it by now, but hey, by all means spend the $$ and let us know what you think, you can be the first to let us know!

The bushings make some sense, yes, I upgraded mine to the aftermarket Energy Suspension ones for that reason over the rubber comptech ones, but it's not true that they will never need lubrication. Only if you don't want it to squeak ever! hehe....same is true of the aftermarket poly ones....want it completely 100% squeak free you grease them periodically. By the way, aftermarket poly ones cost about $15...so for the $100 sway bar and the $15 bushing kit I have the same bar as the H&R, there's no difference the bars themselves just the bushings. Actually, mine are better cause they have grease fittings so I can easily re-grease them at anytime.

I looked into replacing the stock bushings with the poly ones on the front sway bar by the way. Couldn't figure out how to get them off the car, then I received my service manual...ouch...you have to remove/drop the whole front aluminum sub-frame engine assembly to get it out...pretty big job for a product you don't really need to be honest.

If you want to get more bang for your buck do the RSB, suspension, then look into things like exhaust, racing pulley, CAI, grounding/voltage system, etc., don't waste all the $$ on the front SB, and unless you want to spend $300 more than you need to on the RSB get Comptech and aftermarket bushings.

Personally once I get to that point then I'm going to be spending some $$ on dynamatting the whole car then upgrading the stereo speakers, sub, and amp next.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gqchicago
Well...if you spend a lot of time on these boards (and I do for one)...you'll find you're probably the first and only person to consider putting on the FSB. I haven't seen one other person do it yet due to the understeer issue. But to answer your other question, why would they sell them? Because they can and they make a ton of $$ selling RSBs for that price and FSBs for an unusually high price, and someone obviously buys them somewhere...lol. Doesn't mean it's the right product for this car though, or that it's a good idea, or I think you'd see a ton of us doing it by now, but hey, by all means spend the $$ and let us know what you think, you can be the first to let us know!

The bushings make some sense, yes, I upgraded mine to the aftermarket Energy Suspension ones for that reason over the rubber comptech ones, but it's not true that they will never need lubrication. Only if you don't want it to squeak ever! hehe....same is true of the aftermarket poly ones....want it completely 100% squeak free you grease them periodically. By the way, aftermarket poly ones cost about $15...so for the $100 sway bar and the $15 bushing kit I have the same bar as the H&R, there's no difference the bars themselves just the bushings. Actually, mine are better cause they have grease fittings so I can easily re-grease them at anytime.

I looked into replacing the stock bushings with the poly ones on the front sway bar by the way. Couldn't figure out how to get them off the car, then I received my service manual...ouch...you have to remove/drop the whole front aluminum sub-frame engine assembly to get it out...pretty big job for a product you don't really need to be honest.

If you want to get more bang for your buck do the RSB, suspension, then look into things like exhaust, racing pulley, CAI, grounding/voltage system, etc., don't waste all the $$ on the front SB, and unless you want to spend $300 more than you need to on the RSB get Comptech and aftermarket bushings.

Personally once I get to that point then I'm going to be spending some $$ on dynamatting the whole car then upgrading the stereo speakers, sub, and amp next.
nicely said!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gqchicago

nicely said!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by chill_dog
If I remember correctly, the H&R FSB is larger than the stock FSB (28mm vs. 25mm AT/27mm MT)...increasing the thickness of the FSB will increase understeer.
I want to start by saying that I just ordered the H&R RSB and that at this time I will not be purchasing the FSB.

Another thought I had but am also aware that it is not at the same scale. I race on road and off road R/C cars and in our on road cars we have front and rear sway bars that can be attached depending on the track and the conditions. if I put on a .055 sway bar compared to a .063 in the front, yes it will make a drastic difference in how the car dives into a corner and comes out of a corner but on a 3,500lb car is 1mm going to create that much understeer under normal driving conditions? I'm not saying I am correct but it seems hard to believe that a 28mm FSB is going to be that much different than a 27mm FSB. Just my
Old 04-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Technically, it's 0.8 difference (27.2 vs. 28)...you're right, I doubt you'll notice anything with that. Not sure about the 2.6mm increase the H&R is over the AT FSB, but if you do feel anything, it won't be good. So if you're not going to feel anything or if you do feel something that is bad, why spend the money for it?
Old 04-25-2006, 01:14 PM
RAR

Just be glad the TL came with such a beefy FSB. Too bad the RSB in the MT wasnt standard across all models. Out of curiosity, has anybody looked into buying the MT rsb?
Old 04-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Moved to the LOU

I'm not going forward with the FSB mod I was just throwing the question out there about the .08mm difference. I'll keep you all posted on what I think about the H&R RSB though. Should arrive later this week.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:41 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by twigglius
I'm not going forward with the FSB mod I was just throwing the question out there about the .08mm difference. I'll keep you all posted on what I think about the H&R RSB though. Should arrive later this week.
That would be great wish you could drive one with a comptech to provide a comparison
Old 04-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by leedogg
Just be glad the TL came with such a beefy FSB. Too bad the RSB in the MT wasnt standard across all models. Out of curiosity, has anybody looked into buying the MT rsb?
I'm sure people have considered the MT rsb, but since the cost of the CT rsb is not so prohibitive, people haven't really tried to purchase them in droves.

I still have my MT rsb, but I am holding on to all my stock parts...

By the way, gqchicago - You said pretty much everything I wanted to say regarding the front sway bar and the bushings.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Moved to the LOU

I know the stock RSB for the AT is 17mm but what is stock on the MT?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:27 PM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeh, I dont get why they are so over priced compared to the CT. The same thing with their Coilovers compared to the Teins basics...like a 400 dollar difference. I guess it's like people who get a BMW for more money and less power than a TL
Old 04-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Moved to the LOU

I'm doing the H&R for 3 reasons.

1. They make great products.
2. Bushings never have to be greased.
3. No one else has it yet. Atleast not that I have seen.

I agree wit the BMW post though. My co-worker just bought an '06 3 series and he paid a shit ton for it. Interior is so dated and the engine is smaller.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Shift_faster

I'm doing the H&R for 3 reasons.

1. They make great products.
2. Bushings never have to be greased.
3. No one else has it yet. Atleast not that I have seen.

I agree wit the BMW post though. My co-worker just bought an '06 3 series and he paid a shit ton for it. Interior is so dated and the engine is smaller.
Let us know how you like it. If I hadn't purchased the CT RSB already, I would give the H&R RSB some serious consideration.

However, I am happy with the CT and the only adjustment I would make is to change the bushings (I don't think I will purchase the H&R just for that difference).
Old 04-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

I want to start by saying that I just ordered the H&R RSB and that at this time I will not be purchasing the FSB.

Another thought I had but am also aware that it is not at the same scale. I race on road and off road R/C cars and in our on road cars we have front and rear sway bars that can be attached depending on the track and the conditions. if I put on a .055 sway bar compared to a .063 in the front, yes it will make a drastic difference in how the car dives into a corner and comes out of a corner but on a 3,500lb car is 1mm going to create that much understeer under normal driving conditions? I'm not saying I am correct but it seems hard to believe that a 28mm FSB is going to be that much different than a 27mm FSB. Just my
where did you order from ?
Old 04-25-2006, 07:42 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Theoretically the Energy Suspension ones never need greasing too....made of the same materials as H&R....yet oddly enough they come with grease..so why not do it?

The H&R claim of being never needed greasing I bet comes from the Marketing Dept at H&R! LOL...

I doubt my ESP ones would squeak or thump at all to be honest but it's so darn easy to do it when you're installing why not do it....and for sure it's going to make sure it never happens.

Coming from the boating world it made a lot of sense to me that by filling the gaps / spaces in any bushing with grease rather than where water / moisture can get in there..freeze / etc over time...it's going to just be less problematic. Also debris / dirt / etc can get into any fitting like that that isn't greased. I have a marine propeller on the sailboat we grease every fall and the water and dirt comes squirting out before we winterize..that way the expensive gears inside of it don't freeze up over the winter.

What I'm still interested in doing if anyone ever figures it out is replacing more suspension components in the TL with the upgraded ESP ones. The end links for instance that connect to the RSB...look to be very easy to change out having done the a-spec kit and RSB...we just need to figure out the correct sizes or whether their product will work.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by xtin
where did you order from ?

Apex Motorsports in AZ. They have Phoenix and Tucson locations.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:05 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

Apex Motorsports in AZ. They have Phoenix and Tucson locations.
Yeah. Im in DC. Ok thanks I will keep looking