How tight is your steering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Masakatsu Agatsu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How tight is your steering?

Recentlly I did a wheel alignment at Acura of Ocean. Everything seemed fine on the way home, but later I noticed that the car with the steering wheel positioned straight was pulling to the right. I brought the car back, the technician drove it with me in the passenger seat and said that normally no one would even notice this. I said that I wouldn't mind this if this was a truck or an SUV, but on this car I want everything to be precise. He said that he'll adjust the steering wheel slightly to the left. I picked up the car later that day (after driving the TSX as a loaner) and the steering seemed a bit to loose. I figured that's because my hands used to the TSX's steering. But it's been a week and a half and I'm still confident that it's way too loose compared to before. Or am I just being paranoid? By the way on the receipt that I got from the dealership they wrote that the technician didn't verify my concern about the car pulling to the right, but for my satisfaction adjusted the steering wheel to the left and that nothing else can be done, thus dismissing any further complaints. My question to you basically is the following: could it be that they intentionally loosened up the steering to "cure" the pulling problem or am I just being paranoid and this is a silly question?
My other car is MDX and before I used to feel the difference between the two steeringwise, but no so much now.
I would love to hear your input. Thanks in advance
Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 AM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a slight pull/drift to the left for about 5 months on my '04 TL. I never had a wheel alignment done until I bought new wheels & tires. Recently, Acura did my wheel alignment & I told them that I felt the car drift to the left. When I picked up my car, they gave me the wheel alignment printout that showed my actual readings compared to standard specs. My entire alignment was out of specs front & back before! So after 40,000 miles & my first alignment on my TL, I am back within specs.

I did have to take my car back to the dealer a week later because I still felt the drift to the left. I know about crowning in the roads, but it even did it on flat roads. So when I went back to pick it up, the service advisor told me my rear passenger tire alignment was the problem. The rear passenger tire was still in spec, but the technician adjusted it more w/in specs & adjusted my steering wheel from 10 degrees to 2 degrees. All is now perfect & how I like it --- straight!

You should ask for the copy of your wheel alignment specs that shows before & after. They should tell you what the tech did the 2nd time around & tell them that your steering feels loose now. They should fix it until they get it back to specs or your satisfaction if possible. I can try & send you a copy of my before & after specs from the final time they got it right to show the tech some reference on what worked for me, if it would help.

Good luck & give us an update.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Masakatsu Agatsu

Thanks. I got the printout the first time around. Everything was in spec. The problem most certainly was caused by the steering wheel not being centered properly. I have an appointment with them next Monday. I drove a loaner TL today and steering did feel tighter and that's on the car with regular non-A-Spec suspension. I dont' even know what they could've done to my car for it to be the way it is now. I just wish I knew how to argument my point better, beacuse they may say that it's totally fine again and just dismiss me. What a headache.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Masakatsu Agatsu

Today I've wasted two hours at the dealership for no good reason. I brought the car in, the service advisor tells me to wait for someone to do the road test. I've waited for an hour then he tells me that they can't do anything with my car since I have aftermarket wheels on, they need me to put my stock wheels on and then they'll take a look at it. I said it didn't seem to be the problem during my last two visits so why is it a problem now. The guy says he'll call a manager for me. Ten minutes later the technician who worked on my car before comes out and we go for a road test. I tell him what my concern is, he says that he doesn't feel anything out of the ordinary and blames everything on the wheels. I said that this problem appeared after my last visit at your dealership, not when I put the wheels on. He said he'll put the car on the lift and will see if everything is tight. So he does. I can see about half of my car while it's on the lift from the waiting room, but I don't see anyone being under the car. Half an hour later the guy comes out and tells me that everything is in order, he doesn't know what to do and suggests that I decrease my tire pressure to 35-32 psi (that's on 245/35/19 tire).
So now I'm thinking whether I should put my stock wheels on and bring the car in for them to work on or just take it somewhere else again and pay again for something that should've and could've been done right first time around.
These people clearly do not want to see me there again. I don't know what to do at this point.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Find another dealer and leave them bad feedback if you get the chance. It sounds to me like they were trying to bully you and get you to leave them alone. I don't agree with their strategy.

Alignment is a tricky thing -- almost an artform. Ask around town about alignment shops -- word of mouth is usually the only way to find a good alignment mechanic.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdb8805
Find another dealer and leave them bad feedback if you get the chance. It sounds to me like they were trying to bully you and get you to leave them alone. I don't agree with their strategy.

I agree ^, I almost bought my TL from them and they tried the same B.S. They won't even do warranty service on cars bought somewhere else.

Try another dealership.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Advanced

Here a shop a mile or two south of Ocean Acura on RT. 35.

Pete LA Vance Auto Repair
(732) 774-2442

604 State Route 35 N
Neptune, NJ 07753

A lot of dealers and collision shops take there cars to this shop.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Can you describe the "loose-ness" of the steering? Do you feel it has more side-to-side play" when driving straight or do you feel something else? Keep in mind that usually a slight play is

If your initial complaint is just pulling to a side, they should mess with the steering rack at all. I'm not sure about this car's steering rack but some cars' steering rack can be tightened or loosened if needed. But again, they didn't have to touch the steering rack anyway if your problem was just pulling to one side.

I'd put the stock wheels on, make sure you properly inflate the tires and then compare it with another TL, preferably a new one. If you can detect a difference, you have a legit problem.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Masakatsu Agatsu

I put the stock wheels on yesterday and the feeling is the same (as I thought it would be). I wouldn't say that the steering is loose, cause in this case the car would loose its responsiveness, but it's rather too light, meaning that it takes much less effort now to turn the steering wheel especially at higher speeds. I always used to feel the difference in steering between my wife's MDX and my car, but not after they "fixed it". So I'll be taking my car to them again on Friday and see what happens. If they will try "it's as it should be" BS again I'm gonna try to get my money back and take it someplace else. Thanks for your suggestions and help.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Racer

You tightness you were feeling before could have been you tugging on the wheel slightly to keep the car pointed straight. When they adjusted your steering wheel you maybe no longer have to fight against anything so maybe it feels lighter?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

If what you mean by loose isn't the steering wheel play, my theory above is out of the window.

I don't think there's a way to lighten the steering. Well, unless they modify the power steering pump and somehow can increase the pressure, which I doubt.

Just curious, did you check the MDX's tire pressures?

Before you go back to the dealer and try getting your money back, I'd test drive another TL to compare the two. Make sure the other car's tire pressures are all correct before you drive it.

Another thing, if your car's alignment was out of spec and now it is not, you may feel a slight change in effort.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Masakatsu Agatsu

Went to the dealer today. Service Manager drove the car with me and said that it feels fine and more tighter than his TL. I insisted that to me it feels lighter than it used to feel before. They now are going to order a tool which measures steering torque and check if my car is in spec. So it's on hold until then. By the way now two days later it does feel a bit better with the stock wheels on, though I don't understand why, since I think wider tires should make the steering heavier.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Fructus
since I think wider tires should make the steering heavier.
Check my thread regarding 255/40x17's on the oem rim.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135535

Here is a direct qoute from that thread -

"Did the wider tires make my steering wheel feel heavier ? NO. The steering actually feels a bit lighter. Why ? I don't know why the steering is lighter than it was with the OEM tires. Stiffer sidewalls (from lower sectional profile) perhaps."

Prior to installing the wide 255/40's, I had the oem Bridgestone Turanza EL42.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:14 AM
Masakatsu Agatsu

My perception of the steering feel changed not when I installed my new wheels, but after my second visit to the dealership to correct the steering wheel position, so I don't think wider tires have anything to do with this.