How should I cost effectively tighten up my steering? Base 06

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
How should I cost effectively tighten up my steering? Base 06

I'm loving my new TL, however the one thing that doesn't feel rock solid at 130k miles is the steering. Basically it feels like I have two issues. First, when the car is steering straight forward, the wheel sits a little to the right, about 5 degrees maybe. I understand an alignment could fix that, if its just the result of a poor alignment in the past.

The other issue I have feels like it could be more than an alignment issue though. At 50+ MPH, the car seems to slip a little on a turn. No issues making small turns, but on a long, sweeping, curve, it sometimes feels like the wheel is fighting me a bit and wants to go back straight. Its not a consistent feeling though, like the tires gripping, its an intermittent "pull" back in the other direction. It happens rarely and only turning for a while at high speeds.

I'm trying to figure out if there could be a Control Arm or bushing issue contributing to the steering "shakiness" on high speed turns. It doesn't feel like the car's diving when I brake, so i guess the struts are ok. When i brake there's no pull in either direction. Cruising at normal speeds on easy roads, steering feels slightly loose but not "shaky" in that same way.

Anyone experience this shakiness on turns? Any recommendations on what to look at before i jump into new tires and a fresh alignment to fix the off-center wheel? Thanks Fam

Edit: Based on reading around, I'm considering a Progress sway bar as a general handling upgrade. But I'm definitely open to anything that would specifically tighten up the feel of the wheel in my hands, so there's less "float"

Last edited by fmallabykay; 12-21-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:04 AM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
If you're budget conscious, you can also upgrade to the TL-S sway bar as well. It'll make a noticeable difference as well. Not as much as the progress sway bar of course.
The following users liked this post:
fmallabykay (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 11:15 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by fmallabykay
I'm loving my new TL, however the one thing that doesn't feel rock solid at 130k miles is the steering. Basically it feels like I have two issues. First, when the car is steering straight forward, the wheel sits a little to the right, about 5 degrees maybe. I understand an alignment could fix that, if its just the result of a poor alignment in the past.

The other issue I have feels like it could be more than an alignment issue though. At 50+ MPH, the car seems to slip a little on a turn. No issues making small turns, but on a long, sweeping, curve, it sometimes feels like the wheel is fighting me a bit and wants to go back straight. Its not a consistent feeling though, like the tires gripping, its an intermittent "pull" back in the other direction. It happens rarely and only turning for a while at high speeds.

I'm trying to figure out if there could be a Control Arm or bushing issue contributing to the steering "shakiness" on high speed turns. It doesn't feel like the car's diving when I brake, so i guess the struts are ok. When i brake there's no pull in either direction. Cruising at normal speeds on easy roads, steering feels slightly loose but not "shaky" in that same way.

Anyone experience this shakiness on turns? Any recommendations on what to look at before i jump into new tires and a fresh alignment to fix the off-center wheel? Thanks Fam

Edit: Based on reading around, I'm considering a Progress sway bar as a general handling upgrade. But I'm definitely open to anything that would specifically tighten up the feel of the wheel in my hands, so there's less "float"

get an alignment.....it may fix both of your issues.
The following users liked this post:
fmallabykay (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 10:35 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Appreciate the advice. Sounds like alignment should be first up. It will be nice In the short term to recenter the steering and then I guess if it slides back to the same direction I have a good data point

I cannot get over how amazing the brakes are.. he must have done a brake job at some point.

Last edited by fmallabykay; 12-22-2020 at 10:38 PM.