Old 01-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove the back seats to put the suspension? 3G Garage #F-070

Please let me know
Old 01-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Intermediate

I'm trying to change the spring but I don't know how to remove the back seats to remove the back shocks. If anyone know how or if it have another way to do it please let me know
Thanks
Old 01-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
The service manual says you have to remove the entire rear seat, and you also have to remove the c-pillar trim and the rear shelf, but a couple of posts below say you don't have to remove the c-pillar trim. But I'll leave the scans for the c-pillar trim removal here in case someone needs them.

Here's the scans for the rear seat, c-pillar trim and the rear shelf removal.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There really is no better way... You do have to remove the rear seats.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:25 AM
What's a TL?

Didn't have to take off the c-pillar trim during my install (at least I don't remember doing it)...not sure why Honda makes suspension modifications so damn hard
Old 01-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Advanced

No need to remove the C-Pillars.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

lift up the headrest and there is a slot where u can put a socket into to remove the bolt on the back of the seat.. there is a bolt behind each of the headrest
Old 01-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the info is very helpful
Old 01-19-2005, 12:14 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Not having to remove the C-pillars is probably a good thing. That was the hardest thing for me to remove when I tried to access my rear deck shelf. Good luck on the suspension mods!
Old 09-30-2005, 12:04 PM
2005TL(6MT)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lore
Not having to remove the C-pillars is probably a good thing. That was the hardest thing for me to remove when I tried to access my rear deck shelf. Good luck on the suspension mods!
I'm about to do my suspension upgrade and have a question about the rear shelf. You say doesn't need to be removed. Does it only have to be lifted enough to get a socket wrench on the front and rear nuts of the suspension underneath it? The C-pillar trim does not have to be touched at all in order to lift the shelf? I hate touching trim in cars! Often they get scratched and some times even broken if you haven't experienced the removal of that piece previously. I would like to avoid touching it possible.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:23 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is a reasonable price to pay to get the A-Spec installation installed if I do not want to do it myself?
Old 09-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasn't able to squeeze in my ratchet under the rear shelf. So I just used the regular O-wrench to tighten the nuts.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:11 PM
2005TL(6MT)

Originally Posted by 260 HP
I wasn't able to squeeze in my ratchet under the rear shelf. So I just used the regular O-wrench to tighten the nuts.
You didn't remove the shelf but lifted it? What about the C-pillar's? Did you have to do anything to them to lift the shelf?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nope, didn't even touch the shelf or the pillar covers. I just squeezed the wrench under the shelf and made small turns. It's very tight but doable.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:48 PM
2005TL(6MT)

Thanks much for answering my questions. Hopefully there wont be any surprises now.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

There should be no surprises at all. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2005, 07:56 AM
2005TL(6MT)

I did it yesterday. I didn't realize there were cut-outs in front of and above the flange mounting position. That is where I had a problem understanding the shelf.

Like you said no surprises. Just that stupid little bolt to secure the seat bottom causing some aggravation. I even used a nail punch as an alignment tool but when it was removed the loop moved out of position. After about 10 minutes I got lucky and got it in.

Handling is so much better now with little loss in ride quality. I haven't hit anything bad yet but experienced a rough railroad track crossing. It was better than I expected feeling the smaller bumps a little more since the change. It is very similar to my CL-S that I traded in.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:45 PM
10th Gear

Request for service manual scans

Hey Ron A,

Thanks so much for the scans. I was refered to this thread by DeathtoToasters and his awesome posting of the DIY: Aftermarket Amp Install, Speaker Install...

Between you and him you have given me the confidence to undertake my own aftermarket upgrade to my sound system.

In reading the pages on removing the rear seats that you scanned, I noticed a caution about the SRS components in the rear deck or C-Pillar. It refers to pages 23-11 and 23-13 of the service manual. Since I am somewhat of a noob when it comes to taking my car apart I would really appreciate getting a look at those pages. Any chance you could scan those as well?

Thanks in advance - Rob

ps. This forum rocks !

23-13
Old 10-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry about the SRS stuff. The best way to know if you are going to be in any trouble is to listen for any HISSING sound.....that means you hit the fuse and it is going to go off

Just kidding.

With the C-Pillar just pop out the piece indicated where it is printed SRS. That is the plug. Pull that out (not all the way, just until it pops out, about 3/4 of an inch I think) then go around the edges and pop the piece off the clips.

That easy.

FYI - I would avoid any smoking while doing this, if you smoke.

I would advise getting once of these:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/SOU87810

They helped me out alot with getting panels on and off.

Hope this helps.

DTT

Originally Posted by rbgiantfan
Hey Ron A,

Thanks so much for the scans. I was refered to this thread by DeathtoToasters and his awesome posting of the DIY: Aftermarket Amp Install, Speaker Install...

Between you and him you have given me the confidence to undertake my own aftermarket upgrade to my sound system.

In reading the pages on removing the rear seats that you scanned, I noticed a caution about the SRS components in the rear deck or C-Pillar. It refers to pages 23-11 and 23-13 of the service manual. Since I am somewhat of a noob when it comes to taking my car apart I would really appreciate getting a look at those pages. Any chance you could scan those as well?

Thanks in advance - Rob

ps. This forum rocks !

23-13
Old 10-31-2006, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
For safety's sake, here you go, rbgiantfan (and I appreciate your kind words):

Old 11-01-2006, 07:33 AM
10th Gear

Thanks again Ron and DtT. This documentation will really help. I was picturing myself like Wile E. Coyote with a blackened face and hair all blown back

I figured I needed a panel tool but hadn't figured out which one I needed. Glad to know that "dandelion digger" works well on the TL clips. Decent price at CarDomain too.

I'm still waiting for the last of my components to arrive before starting the project. I'll post a progress report once I get rollin'. You guys are the best.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:47 PM
10th Gear

Trouble removing rear deck

My components all arrived last week so I chose the long Thanksgiving weekend to do my upgrade.

Rear seats are out and so is C-pillar trim. Pillars came out easier than I expected since I couldn't get the trim tool under the back clips.

Now for the rear deck - I just cant seem to get it out. Because of the way the shelf wraps over the frame, I can't get the tool up under the first set of clips. If I just wail on the shelf, it torques something fierce but those clips don't pop. The service manual says "Lift the rear shelf to release the clips then pull the rear shelf towards the front of the vehicle." I'm afraid I'm going to crack the shelf.

Does anybody have any tricks or pointers for getting that shelf out?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Instructor

Look at the diagram closely ... there are 8 clips ... 4 in the front and 4 in the back. Work slowly ... do the first four on the front by going left to right ... the slide your hands underneath the rear deck and aim for the last 4 in the back doing the same technique ... left to right .... once all 8 clips are out of their socket pull the whole deck out towards the front ...
Old 12-06-2007, 01:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Just as a tip, the screws behind the headrests do not need to be removed. Loosen about 3-5 turns and slide the seat up, its kinda like a picture frame.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Another tip: Get help once the seat is ready to remove from the car. I scratched the plastic panel near the door jab when setting the seat down to rest. It takes a lot of leverage to lift that thing from outside the car.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:47 PM
08 TL BAGGED!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
you gotta take off da headrest. then the back should slide upwards then theres umm the seat belt bolts.. and under da top part of da back side thers like 2 bolts take them off
the bottom seat theres 2 clip thingys pull um and it should pop up
but dont yank up my friend broke 2 of my clips now my back bottm seat is loose as fuck!
Old 12-27-2007, 12:33 AM
My username is lame

so i am using this thread to basically remove the rear deck due to some rattles. I was just wondering, after looking at the guide book, i don't understand how to remove the bolts/screws for the rear deck. Where are they?

also, just to clarify, you have to remove the bottom seats, rear seats, AND c-pillar just to remove the rear deck right?

thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:13 AM
10th Gear

More on rear deck removal

If you go back near the beginning of this thread, Ron A posted some scans of the service manual which helped me a lot.

You do need to remove the seats to get the rear deck out because it wraps around behind the top of the seat backs.

Here's a couple of issues I ran into when replacing the speakers in my rear deck:

1. You do not need to remove the bolts behind the headrests. They just need to be loosened because the seat backs are slotted and they will slide up off the bolts. (Of course, this is after you have removed the seat bottom, and the 3 bolts at the bottom of the seat back)

2. It took me awhile to find the bolts behind the headrests because the leather fabric was so tight that I didn't notice the seam. Right in the middle of the seat behind the headrest is a flap of leather that overlaps another flap. You can work your finger in between these flaps to reveal a hole in the foam. There is a 10mm bolt behind that foam that needs to be loosened.

3. Once the seat was out I had a bear of a time getting the rear deck out. First I removed the C-pillars which was relatively easy. It was a little unnerving to be prying on the tab that says SRS but it is just telling you that the air bag is behind the C-pillar. The tab itself has nothing to do with the SRS. Anyway, with the seat and the c-pillars out, I still had trouble with the deck. Because it wraps around the edge of the metal frame, and goes down about 4 inches behind the seat, I couldn't get any leverage to actually lift up on the deck. In retrospect I think I could have popped the plastic clips from underneath (from the trunk) but I hadn't removed the trunk liner at that point. So what I did to pop the deck up was I slid a thin piece of wood about 4" wide by 3/8" thick up under that lip, in the middle near where the clips are. Then I banged on the wood with a mallet and the deck finally popped up. Miraculously all of the clips were intact. Then the deck just pulled forward and away from the rear window. A beer break immediately followed that step

Good luck - hope I didn't ramble on too long. Regards, Rob
Old 01-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
omg. i don't know hwo to remove the freakin backseats!!!!!! the bolts are hard to get to.. any advice???
Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 AM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Use a socket extension to get to the hard to reach bolts. You'll have to "dig" into the leather to see the bolts. Just take your time so you don't lose the bolts. The bottom part you have to pull on the two tabs in order to release the latch.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:56 AM
10th Gear

If you're fishing around for the bolt behind the seat cushion, push down on the cusion way back near the seatback to make it easier. I actually wedged the head of a small flashlight between the seat cushion and the seatback and I could easily see the bolt.

As for the bolts behind the headrests, I bet you could atually feel them with your fingers if you jammed them in deep enough. Remember, just loosen these bolts, they do not need to be completely removed. Good luck
Old 02-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
to get the two bolts out behind the headrests i just used my fingers and pulled back the little slit and had my friend shine a flashlight down in there while i aimed my socket with the extension onto the bolts. if you drop your socket or the bolt falls down in there just pull the bottom of the seat back towards you and the shit will fall into the trunk. you dont have to remove the bolts all the way. just loosen them a bit and slide the whole seat back up. youl realize how cake it is once you do it.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where are the bolts behind the headrest? I can't locate them.

the area between the two slots for headrest is too tight to "pry" open or put fingers through. the instructions aren't that clear. I got every bolt out except those two.

pic of rear passenger headrest:
Old 03-03-2008, 03:55 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
See the seam in the seat - just below and right between the Head Rest post holes? Stick your fingers way back in there, through the foam padding. The bolts are there, pretty much dead center in through the slit.

Just loosen 5 turns or so. Don't remove them.

Be careful not to loose your ratchet extention in there either - don't ask me how I know this .
Old 03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
See the seam in the seat - just below and right between the Head Rest post holes? Stick your fingers way back in there, through the foam padding. The bolts are there, pretty much dead center in through the slit.

Just loosen 5 turns or so. Don't remove them.

Be careful not to loose your ratchet extention in there either - don't ask me how I know this .
thanks for the tip. I will try not to lose the extension.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
yeah haha i lost mine in there! its way easy to get out though. just pull the bottom portion of the seat back towards you and it will fall into the trunk.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Cruising in my

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My bottom seat cushion seems like it has some kind of hook or a metal bar attaching it to the back rest (on the passenger side).

I removed the two bolts and the two plastic clips and the bottom wont come out. Help.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

there is only one bolt and two plastic clips that are holding the seat cushion. which two bolts did you remove?
Old 03-08-2008, 04:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaos
there is only one bolt and two plastic clips that are holding the seat cushion. which two bolts did you remove?

Yep. Gotta make sure you get the correct bolt.

I thought I removed the lower seat bolt, but it was actually one of the Seat Belt anchor bolts - .
Old 03-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Yep. Gotta make sure you get the correct bolt.

I thought I removed the lower seat bolt, but it was actually one of the Seat Belt anchor bolts - .
make sure you remove the right bolts. lol

Quick Reply: How to remove the back seats to put the suspension? 3G Garage #F-070