How to Paint your own wheels. (Not 56k friendly)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to Paint your own wheels. (Not 56k friendly)

About a week ago I picked up a SSM 04 TL NAV to serve as my daily driver. I'm loving the car so far but the wheels had quite a bit of curb rash on them. Instead of just touching it up with the original color I decided to redo them all in a graphite color. Fortunately Dupli-Color offers a wheel paint in just the color I was looking for.

The most important part is the prep, use simple green or a similar degreaser and get every spec of dirt/grease/brake dust/road tar off of your wheels. I like to use copper or aluminum scrub brushes. You can usually pick up a 3 pack of either at walmart for a couple bucks.

They do a great job of taking off just about anything. They will scuff your wheels, so you don't want to use them if you don't plan on repainting them.

After your wheels are good and clean you're going to want to sand down any curb rash or scratches you have on your wheels. 320 grit sandpaper works great for this and I prefer to wet sand. Remember that anyplace you take the wheel down to the bare aluminum you are going to want to hit that with a primer before you paint. Use a primer that is close to the color you plan on painting. White or light gray primers for light colors, black primer for black or dark colors etc...

If you have deep scratches you can fill them using a glazing putty or something similar.

I chose not to fill mine in, but if you decide to there are plenty of sources on the internet to show you how to do it.

For the next step you are going to want to scuff up the entire wheel so the paint will adhere better. Red scotchbrite pads work great for this, or you can use the same sand paper you used to clean up the curb rash.

Once you are done scuffing up the wheels you are going to want to clean them again. For this step, a mild soap and hot water works the best and won't leave a residue to keep the paint from sticking. You want to rinse the wheel completely and dry them with a soft lint free towel. I find those micro fiber towels work great for this. They must be completely dry before you start painting.

Next you are going to want to mask anything you don't want to get paint on. Put little masking tape around the valve stem mask off the tire. I've found that 3x5" index cards work great for sticking in the lip between the wheel and tire to keep
the paint off the tire. Oh and unlike me, be sure to put some newspaper under the wheels while you are painting them.

Take a clean dry lint free towel and wipe down the wheels one last time. You are now ready to paint. It's best to do several thin coats as opposed to one thick coat. I'd wait about 10-15 minutes between coats. You can always follow the directions on the can if you aren't sure what to do.

I did 4 coats of the color on the front side and 3 on the backside. I also went over the front side with 3 coats of Dupli-colors clear wheel paint to give it a little deeper shine.

I would wait a minimum of 3 hours after your last coat before you remount the wheels.

That's all there is to it. About 20 bucks and an afternoon and you'll have a different look for your car without shelling out the money for new wheels.
The following users liked this post:
AxelD7 (05-26-2021)
Old 12-29-2006, 07:16 PM
'02 NBP TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ohhh i like. nice job....
Old 12-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frazman
ohhh i like. nice job....
Thanks, I'm probably going to "black out" my headlights using the same color. I've always like the look of graphite or gunmetal on a silver car.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Sweet! Looks nice. Has anyone else painted their own wheels. I haven't come across a thread as such? Humm...

(I'm tempted to paint mine, since I'm not a huge fan of the stock 16"'s and I can't afford new wheels now...)
Old 12-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
wow ... that looks remarkably awesome. Awesome job! I might consider doing this myself unless i decide to go get it powdercoated later on ...
Old 12-29-2006, 08:26 PM
07 NBP TL-S

Good write up and even better final result. Looks great!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Canuck

Outstanding look, I'm gonna try it out I think. Was there a color code or something for the paint you used? I have the same silver coloured '05 and I can't get over how nice it looks on yours.

Always looking for a do-it-yourself project...keeps me from drinking :P

Props.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:58 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Great Information! Thanks for spending the time to share it.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crzygosu87
wow ... that looks remarkably awesome. Awesome job! I might consider doing this myself unless i decide to go get it powdercoated later on ...

I'd do a little research on powdercoating wheels before you do it. I've never had good luck with powdercoat on anything that's exposed to the road salt and elements. It starts to look like crap after just a few months. Of course if you live somewhere that never gets snow or ice you'll probably be just fine.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BloodyShrapnel
Outstanding look, I'm gonna try it out I think. Was there a color code or something for the paint you used? I have the same silver coloured '05 and I can't get over how nice it looks on yours.

Always looking for a do-it-yourself project...keeps me from drinking :P

Props.

The Dupli-color wheel paint comes in these colors

HWP100 White
HWP101 Silver
HWP102 Graphite
HWP103 Clear
HWP104 Satin Black
HWP105 Bronze

Most parts stores I've been in keep Silver, Graphite, Black and Clear on the shelves but should be able to order the other colors.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:50 AM
ranger

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Paint your own wheels

Compliments to Misterfubar. You have come up with an inexpensive way to repair or change the appearance of the stock wheels. In addition, the process is very well documented.

Well done mate.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:06 AM
My Daily Driver

Nice. I might consider this in a bit lighter color though. In the last pic, they look a bit too dark for my taste.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Intermediate

its one of those things why i enjoy being a member of this forum...nice job MisterFubar!!!
Old 12-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Weather Watcher

^ Me likey - alot. I might try this when the weather gets better. I'm particularly interested in how to repair scuffs and scratches. Mine a pretty bad. My gf scratches at least one wheel everytime she drives the car..... Any web resources you can point out that outline a way to do this would be a great help.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Pro

Very nice. Not a fan of the final color, but EXCELLENT DIY. Just as with most things in life, it's all in the prep work.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Chief

AWESOME>>>THANKS for the tip.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:26 AM
Racer

thx!!
wut color did u choose?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Chief

Originally Posted by ckya
thx!!
wut color did u choose?
Re-read the first post...he states that he used the graphite (4 coats front / 3 coats backside) then he used the clear.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:11 PM
ranger

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Paint your own wheels

Reading MisterFubar's excellent post got me to thinking; has anyone every stripped the paint off the stock wheels to expose the bare aluminum? I wonder how much trouble it would be to do that and then apply clearcoat.
Comments?
Old 12-31-2006, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ranger
Reading MisterFubar's excellent post got me to thinking; has anyone every stripped the paint off the stock wheels to expose the bare aluminum? I wonder how much trouble it would be to do that and then apply clearcoat.
Comments?

I didn't try any chemicals but stripping it manually with sandpaper would take a lot of effort. The few spots I had that had bad curb rash took quite a bit of rubbing to get it to bare metal. I suppose I could have tried sand blasting them, but I didn't think about it at the time.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TL-CrAzIe-05
Re-read the first post...he states that he used the graphite (4 coats front / 3 coats backside) then he used the clear.

right...
Old 01-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Just a little update, it's been a week of driving on gravel and in the rain and the paint still looks perfect. I was half expecting to have a few chips or scrapes in it by now, but the paint is holding up real well.

I also went back and looked at the wheels on a friend's Lightning that were painted using the same paint about 15 months ago and he's got one rock chip but other than that they still look like the day he painted them.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:02 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by ranger
Comments?
I have 2 sets of wheels and was bored with both being the same so I polished one set for my summer tires. This is allot of work even after having them walnut shell blasted to get the old finish off.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Looks good. post up some more pics
Old 01-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
My friend did the same thing on his Sentra with the same exact paint and process except he taped it all up. His still look great and he has put about 30k on his since. I would recommend paitning the center caps the same color, and maybe hand paint with a small model brush the Acura Emblem Silver?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Picture of his, hard to see due to it being dark

You can kinda see one of his wheels in this picture of my car on the left.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
OK, I'm really not trying to be a dick here but....

The write up and quality of what you did is excellent. But the color is just not working for me. As I walked past a Benz in a parking lot the other day with wheels that were all covered in brake dust and I thought of your post. Sorry. They just look dusted up to me.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Team Anthracite #100

MrFubar,
How many cans did it take to do the job?

BTW, thanks for sharing your eforts. Nice job.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Instructor

It probably could have been done with just one can, but with the extra coats it took about a can and a half of the color and about 1/2 a can of clear.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adobeman
OK, I'm really not trying to be a dick here but....

The write up and quality of what you did is excellent. But the color is just not working for me. As I walked past a Benz in a parking lot the other day with wheels that were all covered in brake dust and I thought of your post. Sorry. They just look dusted up to me.

That's cool. I know it's not for everyone, but I like dark wheels on a silver car... always have.

This is what they look like dusted.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MisterFubar
That's cool. I know it's not for everyone, but I like dark wheels on a silver car... always have.

This is what they look like dusted.

Good for you MisterFubar, the wheels turned out really well!
Old 01-28-2007, 02:09 AM
Intermediate

has anyone spray painted there rims black? i was wondering how they'd look on nbp
Old 01-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Patel0606
has anyone spray painted there rims black? i was wondering how they'd look on nbp
A good photochop will tell if it's going to look good. That's how I decided on the color for mine.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:11 AM
My Daily Driver

anyone feel like doing a p-shop of black rims on an NBP?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:49 AM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VERY nice! i think i might do this when i'm bored.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
nice! what if you want a lighter "graphite" color? just less coats? AND what's this about the whole stripping process? basically take an aluminum scrubber and SCRUB it down so the current paints GONE?

i'm a n00b at this, but i wanna do it!

eric
Old 04-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by erick3
nice! what if you want a lighter "graphite" color? just less coats? AND what's this about the whole stripping process? basically take an aluminum scrubber and SCRUB it down so the current paints GONE?

i'm a n00b at this, but i wanna do it!

eric
You don't really need to completely strip the old paint, just "rough" it up enough so the new paint will adhere, and blend out any rough spots or damage.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Advanced

how many cans of paint did you have to use...did you mention coating them with clear?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrbrace
how many cans of paint did you have to use...did you mention coating them with clear?
It took about 1 1/2 cans of the color, and 1/2 can of clear to do all 4 wheels.

I sprayed 3 coats of color on the front of the wheels and 2 coats on the backside. Went over that with 1 coat of clear.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by MisterFubar
About a week ago I picked up a SSM 04 TL NAV to serve as my daily driver. I'm loving the car so far but the wheels had quite a bit of curb rash on them. Instead of just touching it up with the original color I decided to redo them all in a graphite color. Fortunately Dupli-Color offers a wheel paint in just the color I was looking for.

The most important part is the prep, use simple green or a similar degreaser and get every spec of dirt/grease/brake dust/road tar off of your wheels. I like to use copper or aluminum scrub brushes. You can usually pick up a 3 pack of either at walmart for a couple bucks.

They do a great job of taking off just about anything. They will scuff your wheels, so you don't want to use them if you don't plan on repainting them.

After your wheels are good and clean you're going to want to sand down any curb rash or scratches you have on your wheels. 320 grit sandpaper works great for this and I prefer to wet sand. Remember that anyplace you take the wheel down to the bare aluminum you are going to want to hit that with a primer before you paint. Use a primer that is close to the color you plan on painting. White or light gray primers for light colors, black primer for black or dark colors etc...

If you have deep scratches you can fill them using a glazing putty or something similar.

I chose not to fill mine in, but if you decide to there are plenty of sources on the internet to show you how to do it.

For the next step you are going to want to scuff up the entire wheel so the paint will adhere better. Red scotchbrite pads work great for this, or you can use the same sand paper you used to clean up the curb rash.

Once you are done scuffing up the wheels you are going to want to clean them again. For this step, a mild soap and hot water works the best and won't leave a residue to keep the paint from sticking. You want to rinse the wheel completely and dry them with a soft lint free towel. I find those micro fiber towels work great for this. They must be completely dry before you start painting.

Next you are going to want to mask anything you don't want to get paint on. Put little masking tape around the valve stem mask off the tire. I've found that 3x5" index cards work great for sticking in the lip between the wheel and tire to keep
the paint off the tire. Oh and unlike me, be sure to put some newspaper under the wheels while you are painting them.

Take a clean dry lint free towel and wipe down the wheels one last time. You are now ready to paint. It's best to do several thin coats as opposed to one thick coat. I'd wait about 10-15 minutes between coats. You can always follow the directions on the can if you aren't sure what to do.

I did 4 coats of the color on the front side and 3 on the backside. I also went over the front side with 3 coats of Dupli-colors clear wheel paint to give it a little deeper shine.

I would wait a minimum of 3 hours after your last coat before you remount the wheels.

That's all there is to it. About 20 bucks and an afternoon and you'll have a different look for your car without shelling out the money for new wheels.
WOW COOL. Nice post! Nice Job! I guess you like the grey look. I have a new 07 TL-S with grey wheels. Do you like them?

PLEASE put some tire dressing on! Thanks J.D.

Quick Reply: How to Paint your own wheels. (Not 56k friendly)