How much $$ for A-Spec suspension installation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much $$ for A-Spec suspension installation?

How much did you pay to have your A-Spec suspension installed?
Preferably those that had their's done at dealerships.
I'm getting quoted crazy prices of nearly $600 just to have it installed.This is insane and I know that can't be correct.
Also,I am I stuck with getting it installed at a dealership due to warranty or can I have it installed anywhere?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 177 Posts
Take it to some reputuable aftermarket shop. They usually do it for like $150 all 4. And ask them if they have warranty for there installations.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ua6spec
Take it to some reputuable aftermarket shop. They usually do it for like $150 all 4. And ask them if they have warranty for there installations.
Will it effect the vehicle warranty doing so though?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Labor $450
4 Wheels Alignment $75
@ Acura of Glendale

1 Year warrenty
Old 02-24-2006, 05:30 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Note...what is it about the warrantee that you are worried about? What would a suspension do that would void the warrantee? Is Acura going to warrant the part if they dont install it...yep...they are not going to warrant the labor though? But...as you can see...you can almost have it done two and a half times to the rates Acura wants compared to other shops. I had mine done at a body shop around the corner for about $200 or something? Included alignment. Wasnt much...I remember that. I had same place install A-spec body kit - I swear I had both done under $450 combined.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:37 PM
User Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't blame you I wanted the dealer to do it also. So it cost me $400 including alignment. A few hundred dollars is a small price to pay for knowing it is done right and if something happens they will be more likely to take care of it.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Burning Brakes

take the oem springs to Joe mechanic & forge the service manual. it shouldnt matter anyway, they are not aftermarket springs & it's not a complicated job. joe mechanic- $150 for all 4. Acura- $96 per hour. both will end up with extra parts when the job is finished!
Old 03-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Got Pearl?

Originally Posted by Subhuman
How much did you pay to have your A-Spec suspension installed?
Preferably those that had their's done at dealerships.
I'm getting quoted crazy prices of nearly $600 just to have it installed.This is insane and I know that can't be correct.
Also,I am I stuck with getting it installed at a dealership due to warranty or can I have it installed anywhere?

DIY...and save yourself a ton of money...that is what I did.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't have to have a stealership install the suspension. As far as I know, The A-spec suspension (as well as other Honda/Acura accessories) is covered by 12 month/12,000 miles warranty by Honda, regardless of the installer, because it is purchased and installed after the purchase of the car. If you had the stealership install it before you took delivery of the car, then it's covered by the new vehicle warranty.

Vehicle warranty should not be affected at all, because A-spec suspension is manufactured by Honda itself. Honda/Acura has to prove that the installation was done incorrectly to void the warranty of the affected items, such as the suspension arms, bushings, and the like. Honda/Acura cannot void the warranty of the whole car just because the suspension was proven to be installed incorrectly.

I did suspension installs (and other stuff, too) on all of my cars because I don't want to pay the enormous hourly rate of the stealerships. I can go to a suspension shop down the street but I don't trust many shops either. So, to be sure that it is done correctly, by the book, with the correct torque specs and methods, I did all of them myself.

Did you, who had the dealerships do your suspension installs, watch how the mechanics install your suspension? I bet they skip some steps. Did they load the suspension with the weight of the car before torquing the suspension bolts and nuts? Did they use the correct torque specs? Better yet, did they use torque wrench at all? I'm willing to bet that they just use the impact gun on every bolt and nut.

I used to go to dealerships to service the car, including tire rotation, etc. But after seeing that they use impact gun to tighten the lug nuts, with incorrect pattern (ie going in circle instead of using the star pattern), I stopped going to dealerships. This is not just 1 or 2, but many dealerships. Not only Honda/Acura, but others, too. Unless it's a warranty repair, I'm not going to a dealership.

I have the luxury of a good sized garage. But even before, when I only had a carport, I still did them all myself.

Just my $.02....
Old 03-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Thanks for replying everyone.I've had the privelege of a fellow member from this site' help and have gotten my suspension installed.Thanks to Clay and JTso(from TSX forum).
Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of doing my own auto work where I live - rules.So I my only options were bring it to a shop or someone who has a garage etc.Fortunately Clay plugged me in with Johnny(JTso,a moderator from the TSX forum) who installed the whole shebang for me.And I might add quite professionally.In fact his work was above and beyond what I've seen actual shops perform.Hewas very meticulous about set up and doublechecking everything,torqueing(sp?) all bolts and nuts etc.Very knowledgeable!
All in all,probably one of the best if not the best automobile mechanical ordeal I've ever experienced.
If anyone from the greater Puget Sound area is need of this type of service to be done for them,I can only highly recommend him.
As for the transformation of my TL .... it's freeken fantastic!
It's how the car should come from the factory to begin with.Handling,sterring,response,braking ... everything is drastically improved.Not to mention it lowered just enough .. just right.Wish I had set of A-Spec rims or something similar to them to mount now.
The only handling,steering,braking deficiency it still has is attributed to the awful Bridgestone Turanza EL-42 tires.They just plain suck!
I'm leaning towards the Pirelli Zero Nero M&S on A-Spec18" rims as my next upgrade.
Also a rear spoiler.I haven't convinced myself to do a bodykit yet.
I'm leaning towards the lip style spoiler vs wing style,esp. is I omit a bodykit.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:15 AM
10th Gear

Where in Puget Sound is Johnny located and how much did he charge for the installation and alignment? I just got the A-spec suspension and contemplating doing it myself to save the money. The Acura dealer in Bellevue wanted $400 plus alignment.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by salsarhythms
Where in Puget Sound is Johnny located and how much did he charge for the installation and alignment? I just got the A-spec suspension and contemplating doing it myself to save the money. The Acura dealer in Bellevue wanted $400 plus alignment.
Johnny is located in Renton,Wa. just off of maple Valley Hwy. I paid him $180 for the A-Spec susp. and CT RSB install.No alignment is needed for this,but if you insist on alignent you'll need to wait until the new suspension "settles" appr. a month or so before getting that done.In general it is not neccesary though as the A-Spec suspension doesn't alter anything enough to warrant that.
As for myself,and I'm anal about perfection,I'm satisfied with the driving dynamics and haven't noticed any pulling or tire wear yet.I'm still on the factory 17" wheels with the Bridgestone Turanza's (crappiest tire ever).Once I've decided on wheel's,I'll upgrade them and add new tires.That is when I'll get an alignment done!