HELP! New wheels and my tires are getting CUT/CHEWED UP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 02:39 AM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
Why won't you add more negative camber to clear the fender? While running at the track, it should be beneficial

I like the direction you're headed with this tho
Old 04-14-2012, 02:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Those Hankooks are a pretty good tire, but they run narrow. Measure the tread width on them and your Michelins. Even though they're both 245's, I bet the Michelins are at least a half inch wider. In your case, that's a good thing though. You should be fine with this tire, other than the fact the speedo will read a bit high and the odometer will rack up more quickly.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:33 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
Why won't you add more negative camber to clear the fender? While running at the track, it should be beneficial

I like the direction you're headed with this tho
haha thanks! I'm not a fan of camber kits because I still want to spend my money on other parts I would actually prefer to run a higher offset wheel than buy a camber kit, no apparent reason, just preference haha

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Those Hankooks are a pretty good tire, but they run narrow. Measure the tread width on them and your Michelins. Even though they're both 245's, I bet the Michelins are at least a half inch wider. In your case, that's a good thing though. You should be fine with this tire, other than the fact the speedo will read a bit high and the odometer will rack up more quickly.
crap. I don't have the michelins off the car so I can't measure the two tires using the same conditions, but I tried to measure the section width with the hankooks un-mounted and with the michelins mounted. From what I can see, it actually looks like the hankooks are WIDER than the muchelins That is not good news for me trying to gain additional clearance at the fenders lol. But then again, the widths of the tires were measured in different conditions, so we can't draw conclusions as of yet.

Tire rack actually lists my michelins at 9.6" wide for the 245/45. It's odd, because apparently 245/40 michelins are wider at 9.8". Both 245, but I guess the lower profile has a wider footprint.

Tire rack also lists the same specs for the hankooks. 9.6" wide for the 45 profile and 9.8" wide for my 245/40 ventus v12 evo. I'm hoping this is just a generic section width they put up for all tires with the same specs.

I guess we'll see tomorrow! All of your guys' input has been great, I really appreciate it!

Oh and the forecast says that so cal's silly rain is ending tomorrow so hopefully I will have full car photos for you all to view by the end of the weekend! Just please don't expect much... I actually think the car looks rather funky lol. And i'm still going to have monster truck tires in the back so my car is going to look like one Frankenstein of an Acura

Last edited by lumyeinjun; 04-14-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Racer

As promised, I washed my car and took some full car pics for you guys!

Also, I mounted my Hankooks up and they're GREAT! It lowered the car about half an inch and gave the car some more wheel gap There is definitely more clearance up front and I haven't rubbed yet! Without further ado:

Here are the front wheels with the Hankooks.
Name:  rpf1_frontwheels.jpg
Views: 4281
Size:  76.5 KB

And here's a side profile shot showing front and rear wheels. I still have the 245/45 Michelins in the rear, it gives the illusion of having smaller wheels in the rear lol. I'm hoping to pick up two new Hankooks in 245/40 to match the front this upcoming week.
Name:  rpf1_profile.jpg
Views: 3612
Size:  83.3 KB

This pic really highlights the small 245/40s in the front and the 245/45s in the rear giving the car a little more rake
Name:  rpf1_frontquarterE.jpg
Views: 4568
Size:  149.9 KB

Last edited by lumyeinjun; 04-15-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
the look of the wheels on my car are growing on me, just waiting to drop it then will take pictures.. the 255/40 on the car looks great, you will love it once you get it done
Old 04-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by FCVadi
the look of the wheels on my car are growing on me, just waiting to drop it then will take pictures.. the 255/40 on the car looks great, you will love it once you get it done
great! make sure to link me to your thread when you post pics!

UPDATE:

the 245/40 Hankooks up front seem to have gotten rid of all the rub i've previously experienced up front (with only me in the car). I still have yet to experiment with a fully loaded cabin. However, the 245/45 Michelins in the rear are still rubbing on extreme dips and turns. I'll post an update once I get 245/40 tires in the rear to see if the rubbing issue has been completely solved.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Racer

Update

Two weeks ago I got a set of 245/40 Bridgestone Potenza re760 sport tires mounted in the rear to replace my rear 245/45 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus tires; making my new setup 245/40 tires all around.

I then rotated the Potenzas to the front and the Hankooks to the rear.

All of my rubbing is now gone, even during extreme turns and dips with two passengers. I have not yet loaded my car with five grown men, but I actually think my current setup will be rub-free no matter what I try to do. I'm happy!

Also, the summers and lower profile grip much better than my 245/45 michelins.

here is the before pic with the 245/40 Hankooks in front, 245/45 Michelins in the rear. Notice how the rear wheels appear somewhat smaller compared to the next photo due to the extra sidewall.
Name:  rpf1_profile.jpg
Views: 4596
Size:  83.3 KB

and here is the current setup with 245/45 Bridgestone in the front, 245/40 Hankook in the rear. Notice how the wheels appear larger in diameter than the previous photo due to the reduced sidewall height.

Note that these two photos were taken during different times of day (with the former having better photography lighting). Try to not let that skew your judgement between the two tire setups. Angles were slightly off as well because I didn't document the exact spot I parked the car last time or the exact position I took the photo from. The car does NOT have reverse rake, it's just the way the photo looks. I do miss the look of the rake I had before, but this setup doesn't rub and handles much better IMO the car looked much better with the beefy tires in the rear and the lower profile tires in the front, but it simply wasn't practical for my daily driver.

The H&R springs sit on the middle pearch on the Koni SP3s and the shocks are set at 180 degrees from full stiff in the front and 270 degrees from full stiff in the rear. The ride is more harsh than the oem setup, but I would not consider it uncomfortable at all. Also got an alignment to make sure everything was good.

I'm actually glad that I came across clearance issues when I originally mounted these wheels. I feel that I have learned a great deal about wheels and tires through this short experiment, and that I now have a great deal more experience in a field that was somewhat of a mystery to me before. Wheel and tire shopping will be much easier in the future because of everything I had to do to make this setup work. I would like to thank acurazine and everyone who has supported me in this effort; couldn't have done it without you guys.

I think it's safe to say that I have found an answer to my original post; my tires are no longer getting cut/chewed up!
In conclusion, it is very possible to run a 17x9 +22 setup with 245/40-17 tires all around with H&R sport springs and Koni Sport SP3 shocks.

Last edited by lumyeinjun; 04-29-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Racer

Also, in case anyone wants to know in the future, I do not have camber kits on the car. I have just a tad bit negative camber in the front wheels (about -0.6 degrees) and about -1.6 degrees camber in the rear wheels.

Toe angles are set to zero degrees in the front and -0.08 in the rear wheels.

The alignment values listed above are not the "total toe" and "total camber." I'm simply listing the rough specs for each individual wheel as an approximation.

I actually asked for toe-in (positive toe) in the rear, but the service manager I spoke to at my firestone didn't feel like listening to me, so he told the tech to put both of my rears at toe-out (negative toe). Toe-out in the rear should increase over-steer during turn-in, but I haven't pushed the car hard enough in the twisties to feel the difference yet. I wanted toe-in on the rear wheels for the sake of high-speed stability, so I will be going to another firestone to get my rear wheels aligned toe-in pretty soon since I have lifetime alignment.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Man those wheels look good, still debating these. Wonder if they would rub on my car with Hankook RS-3s 245/40 all the way around. My camber is like -1.5 front, -2 rear right now.

Last edited by AnthraciteAspec; 05-01-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
You might just think about selling the wheels and tires. You drive aggressive - you don't want to worry about blowing out s tire and rubbing and possibly loosing control, hope to god you do not get in an accident.

Put on the stock TL WHEELS ON STOCK 235-45-17

You won't rack up more milage on your speedometer. Your acceleration and top speed all will not be affected.
The wheels are nice , but the looks are not worth wrecking such a nice car.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrsimeon
You might just think about selling the wheels and tires. You drive aggressive - you don't want to worry about blowing out s tire and rubbing and possibly loosing control, hope to god you do not get in an accident.

Put on the stock TL WHEELS ON STOCK 235-45-17

You won't rack up more milage on your speedometer. Your acceleration and top speed all will not be affected.
The wheels are nice , but the looks are not worth wrecking such a nice car.
Yeah the only thing I'm worried about is controlling the car in the case of a blown out tire, let's just hope that doesn't happen! haha

I would prefer a higher offset, but until somebody buys these wheels, I'm okay with riding on them. I enjoy it, actually! Acceleration is better and I can toss the car around more easily. The car is much more fun to drive! I'm sure I have more torque steer as well, but I think it's actually kind of fun haha

I don't mind racking up the odo, either way it's only an extra thousand miles or so every 50,000 miles Thanks for the advice though, I know you're just looking out!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Looks WAY better without the monster truck tires!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Looks WAY better without the monster truck tires!
haha thanks, man! It goes to show how important tire sizes are in the look of a wheel setup and overall feel of the car. The tires changed the whole look of the wheels! Lesson learned!

...but now I can't go off-roading anymore

Now let's see those beautiful 18" Forgestars!!!

Last edited by lumyeinjun; 05-01-2012 at 10:28 PM.