Help-Alingment problem, steering wheel off centered, all stock

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 PM
2007 TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Help-Alingment problem, steering wheel off centered, all stock

I took my stock 2007 TL to get it aligned at Brake Check, I liked their life time alignment deal. After the alignment was done I noticed the steering wheel was slightly off centered to the left about 5 degrees. It is really annoying specially when driving on the highway. 2 months later I got tired of it and took it back, this time they said it can't be aligned because it needs adjustable ball joints and adjustable rear links since on this car there not adjustable? Is this true? I'm noticing my tires are wearing out on the outside wall.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
First, the off-center steering wheel has nothing to do with the alignment.
It's just that the worker, won't even call them a Tech, is too lazy to do it correctly. They need to have the steering wheel positioned correctly, lock it in that position, and then do the alignment. If the wheel is off-center on the test drive, they need to put it back on the rack, move the left and right tie rod adjustments accordingly to straighten the steering wheel, and then set the toe correctly once again. The only adjustment on the TL is toe so that should be set properly at all 4 corners, aim "0", especially the rear, no camber or caster adjustment front or rear.

If you have the specs from the last alignment post them and you'll get feedback.

Bottom line, take it back and tell them you want the wheel positioned correctly period.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 PM
flappy paddles

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
It's just that the worker, won't even call them a Tech, is too lazy to do it correctly. They need to have the steering wheel positioned correctly, lock it in that position, and then do the alignment. If the wheel is off-center on the test drive, they need to put it back on the rack, move the left and right tie rod adjustments accordingly to straighten the steering wheel, and then set the toe correctly once again. The only adjustment on the TL is toe so that should be set properly at all 4 corners, aim "0", especially the rear, no camber or caster adjustment front or rear.

If you have the specs from the last alignment post them and you'll get feedback.

Bottom line, take it back and tell them you want the wheel positioned correctly period.
That.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
^OP
I just got my car aligned at the dealer a few hrs. ago since other shops were asking the same price as Acura around me. Acura Dealer was closer so went there instead.

My steering wheel was centered too. Then it was slightly turned to the left which began after 3 weeks with my new tires which pulled the car. I already had it aligned when I first bought my tires but they either didnt center it to ZERO for both rear and front toes or the few potholes I went over messed it up.

I dont remember the alignment sheet from the first one but sure enough my car was out of alignment, so I asked the Service tech to tell me if my CV boots, axles, anything suspension related is damaged or leaking? Just as a precaution if it might come back with the pulling.

Here's a scan copy of my Alignment:
Old 09-11-2012, 07:55 PM
2007 TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you for your replies, yeah I know they are BSing. I will be taking my car to the dealer tomorrow. I will post my results.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

^that x2
Old 09-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
The steering wheel is definitely part of getting an alignment done. Alignment issues can be detected thru the steering wheel, and as stated one the first things when setting up for an alignment is to lock wheel in the centered position.

Saying it has nothing to do with it, is kinda weird, but maybe not what you meant.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what did they charge you guys for alignments? There was only 1 wheel/tire shop around here that had a pit (my cars too low to make it up a standard alignment rack) and they wanted $150.

So, I called my sis who works at the local Merc/Bimmer dealer, and they had a low pro rack. They gave me her employee discount, and I ended up paying $34.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by powerflow
The steering wheel is definitely part of getting an alignment done. Alignment issues can be detected thru the steering wheel, and as stated one the first things when setting up for an alignment is to lock wheel in the centered position.

Saying it has nothing to do with it, is kinda weird, but maybe not what you meant.
If you would read the entire post, it is stated what a "Tech", and I use the term loosely, must do with the steering wheel when performing an alignment. If it isn't clear, guess I had better elaborate so there is no misunderstanding.
The off level steering wheel has absolutely nothing to do with the alignment of the wheels/tires. The steering wheel can be off level, but the wheel/tire settings can be dead on, but this off level annoyance has no bearing on the wheel alignment.

As we are discussing an off level steering wheel after an alignment, guess it's my turn as to how an alignment issue is detected through the steering wheel? The OP wasn't talking about a problem after smashing into a curb.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
If you would read the entire post, it is stated what a "Tech", and I use the term loosely, must do with the steering wheel when performing an alignment. If it isn't clear, guess I had better elaborate so there is no misunderstanding.
The off level steering wheel has absolutely nothing to do with the alignment of the wheels/tires. The steering wheel can be off level, but the wheel/tire settings can be dead on, but this off level annoyance has no bearing on the wheel alignment.

As we are discussing an off level steering wheel after an alignment, guess it's my turn as to how an alignment issue is detected through the steering wheel? The OP wasn't talking about a problem after smashing into a curb.
I knew what you meant. When I last had my car aligned a few years ago they had the steering wheel slightly skewed to the right when I'd be going straight, but I saw the print out that showed the toe was as best they could get it. At the time I was slammed all the way down on my coilovers.

It sucked having a skewed wheel, but I didn't want to go back to the place I had it aligned at because it was in the GHETTO.