Has anyone replaced all 4 stock struts 2006?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone replaced all 4 stock struts 2006?

Mind car has ~173k miles on the odometer. Has anyone replaced their struts?
I need the right rear done for sure since alignment has not worked.
Still have OEM's struts. I GOING BACK STOCK.

What all was replaced if you did change? mounts, ????
Old 01-28-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
no, in 10 years since this car was produced, no one has ever changed out their shocks.

of course, silly.
the OEM shocks come pre-assembled.

All you have to do is swap the old shocks for the new shocks on the car.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DeMAN
Mind car has ~173k miles on the odometer. Has anyone replaced their struts?
I need the right rear done for sure since alignment has not worked.
Still have OEM's struts. I GOING BACK STOCK.

What all was replaced if you did change? mounts, ????
I replaced my front and rear struts with new ones that i bought off ebay...the link to the exact rear struts i bought is below and you can probably find the front ones from the same seller also. they were easy to install...biggest pain was the rear since you have to disassemble the rear seat and deck to get to the rear struts.

the link below shows the exact items you get, which is the complete strut assembly (spring, struts, mounts)...the only thing you re-use is the nuts to bolt the new struts in place.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-COMPLETE-REAR-STRUT-ASSEMBLY-PAIR-SET-OF-2-/350770686428?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AAcura%7CModel%3ATL&hash=item51ab8fe9dc
Old 01-28-2014, 12:57 PM

we have shocks and not struts.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
i keep making the mistake of using the term "shocks" and "struts" as the same thing and every time i get corrected on here....eventually i'll change my evil ways lol
Old 01-28-2014, 01:34 PM

^

lol, just doing my duty
Old 01-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Racer

WHy are they calling the rear "struts" in an earlier post?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
it doesnt take a rock scientist to do this lol, just take them off and replace
Old 01-28-2014, 03:40 PM

WHy are they calling the rear "struts" in an earlier post?
interesting.

Originally Posted by Hondanews.com
FRONT SUSPENSION
The TL front suspension is a double-wishbone system with a rigid stamped steel upper arm and a steel lower arm. The system is functionally related to the systems used on Formula One and Indy Cars, and permits the best combination of roadholding, ride quality and packaging for the TL. The system uses coil-over shock absorbers that, unlike in strut suspension, are not stressed suspension members. This reduces suspension friction and improves responsiveness to bumps.
Suspension camber gain is maximized through the use of a short upper arm, while steering feel is enhanced through a high placement of the lower arm.
The upper suspension arm is extremely rigid to reduce the transmission of road noise into the cabin, while a special compliance bushing on the lower arm better absorbs bumps and improves ride quality. A steel bar connects the shock towers. Hollow, high-strength and lightweight, it enhances chassis solidity, steering precision and feel.
A hollow tubular steel stabilizer bar is specially tuned to the best balance between firm handling and luxurious ride comfort.
REAR SUSPENSION
The TL rear suspension is a 5-link independent system with struts, coil springs and anti-squat and anti-lift geometry. It mounts to a steel subframe to improve road isolation and a help provide a quiet interior. The rear suspension geometry adds "toe-in" when the suspension is compressed, improving handling stability over bumps and during hard cornering and braking.
A stabilizer bar further improves handling by limiting body roll, while a special "pillow joint" for the lateral links improves camber rigidity. Rubber shims added to the leading and trailing arm bushings improve ride comfort.

interesting.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:14 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 OEM Front Struts Avail

Hi DeMan,
FYI, I recently replaced the front set on my 04 with Honda OEM and improved the ride greatly. BUT, recently I replaced all 4 with aftermarket. The newer fronts have been removed and have about 250 miles on them. I plan to list them on the acurazine market shortly since I no longer need them and they have such little use.

AcuraMikeS
Old 01-30-2014, 06:38 AM
Racer

interesting.

Originally Posted by Hondanews.com
FRONT SUSPENSION
The TL front suspension is a double-wishbone system with a rigid stamped steel upper arm and a steel lower arm. The system is functionally related to the systems used on Formula One and Indy Cars, and permits the best combination of roadholding, ride quality and packaging for the TL. The system uses coil-over shock absorbers that, unlike in strut suspension, are not stressed suspension members. This reduces suspension friction and improves responsiveness to bumps.
Suspension camber gain is maximized through the use of a short upper arm, while steering feel is enhanced through a high placement of the lower arm.
The upper suspension arm is extremely rigid to reduce the transmission of road noise into the cabin, while a special compliance bushing on the lower arm better absorbs bumps and improves ride quality. A steel bar connects the shock towers. Hollow, high-strength and lightweight, it enhances chassis solidity, steering precision and feel.
A hollow tubular steel stabilizer bar is specially tuned to the best balance between firm handling and luxurious ride comfort.
REAR SUSPENSION
The TL rear suspension is a 5-link independent system with struts, coil springs and anti-squat and anti-lift geometry. It mounts to a steel subframe to improve road isolation and a help provide a quiet interior. The rear suspension geometry adds "toe-in" when the suspension is compressed, improving handling stability over bumps and during hard cornering and braking.
A stabilizer bar further improves handling by limiting body roll, while a special "pillow joint" for the lateral links improves camber rigidity. Rubber shims added to the leading and trailing arm bushings improve ride comfort.

interesting.
Thank you. Now thats behind us, has anyone seen improvement and ressolved alignment issues from installing new rear "struts" or is there an issue with the "5-link independent system"?

Know one seems to have an answer for rear tires abnormal wear. (mainly on my right rear).

Any recommendations on a particular brand? (Struts) (like the stock ride, or what I think is stock ride now)

Before anyone ask the obvious, yes I've had it aligned by different places including an Acura dealer and Honda dealer. New tire are showing wear before its time to rotate. (normally every oil change)
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 AM

Thank you. Now thats behind us, has anyone seen improvement and ressolved alignment issues from installing new rear "struts" or is there an issue with the "5-link independent system"?

Know one seems to have an answer for rear tires abnormal wear. (mainly on my right rear).

Any recommendations on a particular brand? (Struts) (like the stock ride, or what I think is stock ride now)

Before anyone ask the obvious, yes I've had it aligned by different places including an Acura dealer and Honda dealer. New tire are showing wear before its time to rotate. (normally every oil change)
throw up your alignment sheet so we can take a look.

p.s. I'm in Houston.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Racer

I have the alignment info on my phone but it was to fuzzy to post. All number were set to the middle of the spec range, for the most part. The front were toward the outer range due to minimal adjustments. Normal wear on the front with >25k miles on tires on the tires without rotation
Old 02-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by swedrows
the link below shows the exact items you get, which is the complete strut assembly (spring, struts, mounts)...the only thing you re-use is the nuts to bolt the new struts in place.

acura tl rear struts
Has anyone else used these before?
Are there any other suggestion?
Old 02-20-2014, 01:01 PM

^ i wouldnt buy those.
those look cheap, and acura spent a lot of money and time on our suspension.

do it right, by replacing it with OEM or OEM replacements like monroe or KYB.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:04 PM

I have the alignment info on my phone but it was to fuzzy to post. All number were set to the middle of the spec range, for the most part. The front were toward the outer range due to minimal adjustments. Normal wear on the front with >25k miles on tires on the tires without rotation
sorry, that info didnt tell us anything.

you're looking for TOE.
if TOE is set to 0(Zero) your alignment is spot on.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:44 PM
Racer

sorry, that info didnt tell us anything.

you're looking for TOE.
if TOE is set to 0(Zero) your alignment is spot on.

All last alignment settings were on the money and within the middle of the range except for the left front. I was in spec but only by .23. No real noticeable wear on that tire.

The back two tires showed noticeable wear within 3k miles of alignment. (especially the rear right)
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 02:46 PM

Perfect!!
Old 02-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Wow Amaze Such TL-S

Received 129 Likes on 112 Posts
yeah, OP please don't buy no-name shocks from ebay. nothing will end well there.

Originally Posted by Slammed_TL
it doesnt take a rock scientist to do this lol, just take them off and replace
A rock scientist? Like a geologist?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kaiii
A rock scientist? Like a geologist?
I'm a geophysicist, does that count?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Racer

Going with the KYB's from Tire rack. Also ordering assoc. parts