Has ANYONE attempted a Front Sway Bar Install??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has ANYONE attempted a Front Sway Bar Install??

Just installed the ASpec suspension which went very smoothly. Slightly firmer ride for sure but certainly not harsh and the steering response is definately improved which is one of the main reasons I decided to install it as well as dropping the car's ride height a little. I installed the 6MT front kit on my A5 and I am pleased with the drop in the front....the car looks more neutral now in it's stance where it seemed the front was a little higher than the rear at stock ride height. For those guys looking for a little more drop in the front (and have an auto equipped TL), going with the 6MT version IMO is a great move.

Back to my original question however....the rear bar is obviously a piece of cake to install but the front certainly looks more challenging. Has anyone on this board done the swap to a larger bar?? Seems to me the back of the engine cradle has to be dropped some to get the front bar out (and in obvioiusly).

Also, does anyone know if the 5AT and 6MT utilize the same size front bar from the factory??....had a brief conversation with Comptech and it appeared to him the front bars might not be the same (I know the rear bars are smaller with the A5).

In the event no-one has done the swap, do any of you guys have a service manual you could perhaps scan a few pages out of pertaining to the procedure to R&R the front bar....it would be much appreciated!

Thanks....I will be posting more specifics on the A-Spec install and pics of how the car sits with the new suspension and wider 18's all around in the next week or two. The tires and larger bars should really put the finishing touches on the handling potential of this car....cant wait to finish getting everything installed!

Cheers,

Tony M.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:30 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony'sTL
.....I will be posting more specifics on the A-Spec install and pics of how the car ...
please do so

EDIT: why would you want front sway bar on FF car?.....it will increase the understeer!
Old 05-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RSA_Secure
please do so

EDIT: why would you want front sway bar on FF car?.....it will increase the understeer!
I am not racing the car or pushing it so hard that it will understeer badly....plus with the wider, better handling, lower aspect ratio 18's all around, the car won't be so prone to understeer. A larger front bar will give me flat cornering and quicker steering response during 99% of my driving which is basically to and from work and running errands etc. If I didn’t upgrade the tire/rim package and firm up the suspension I would be more concerned about additional understeer, but IMO, considering what I have already done, a larger front bar will simply tie everything together in my quest for sharper handling and flatter cornering.

If I'm wrong I will let you guys know that it sucks and to save your money.....LOL

Regards,
Tony
Old 05-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/samsung-x426-color-display-accessories-135375/
Old 05-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks....I saw that thread and I realize me desire to install a larger bar in the front of my car goes against conventional thinking, but I still feel when driven at 80% or less (which is 99% of my driving), flatter corning due to a larger front bar will be of benefit to me and compliment the other mods I have already done (suspension, rims & tires). I am used to the razor sharp handling my BMW 330I had and I am fairly certain I can get close with the TL platform (at least with a moderately aggressive driving style).

Looks like I might be a pioneer here which I am fine with but would still love some input from a board member who might have a service manual to see what I am in for (labor wise)....If I have to pull the engine to install it I will probably take a pass....LOL, but if it's not a ridiculous amount of work I am going to take the plunge.

Also, anyone have info regarding 6MT and A5 bars being different diameter up front??....worst case is I will measure mine tonight. I know the stock M6 bar is 27 mm or 1.06"

Thanks Guys...

Tony