Guess What My Dealer Wants For An A-spec Suspension Install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess What My Dealer Wants For An A-spec Suspension Install?

$1000.00

RU F*CKING KIDDING ME?

I tell them I already have the a-spec suspension(getting off of ebay), just need a quote for the install price. After I throw-up on myself, I politely say "ok thanks" and procede to hang up. I am not even joking. Has anyone ever heard a price quote this ridiculous? Or is it just me? I could swear people around here have been getting it installed for around $300.00, obviously elsewhere.

I know in a previous thread I said I couldn't install the CSB due to lack of experience, but I ended up doing it anyway, thanks to this website. But, I am pretty sure I would be in over my head trying to do this on my own. So, Chicago TL'ers, has anyone had this installed around here for what would be considered reasonable?

If anything, I realized how helpful this website is in not letting people bend you over for ridiculous install costs, among other things.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:02 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Yes, I've heard several quotes that were that ridiculous.

One dealer wanted $1400 even after I explained to them the A-Spec suspension did not require the purchase or installation of a camber kit.

The other dealer wanted $1100, and that was for SPRINGS only! They thought I wanted them to install some after-market springs.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Racer

I would have said to them "ARE YOU INSANE???"
You should aske them what ther hourly rate is....The rate around me is $92.00/hr. I( can't imagine your dealer's rate is much different. Therefore, they are telling you that the suspension will take them OVER 10 HOURS to install...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

BTW, mine took 3 hours.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
which dealer? I had my comptech springs installed at Mullers Woodfield Acura for $300
Old 05-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
tjker - And I thought the $530 my dealer quoted me was ridiculous! Now, a CT RSB install complicated? Who told you that? Along the same lines, is my response to not being able to do the ASPEC suspension install. I've never done anything to a car in my life other than rotate tires, but I managed quite fine doing both of these on a Saturday afternoon. Now if you don't want to do it yourself, I can respect that, but as for not being able to, if you know how to use a rachet, you can do it. I'm sure from many of the install write-ups you know certain aspects aren't easy-as-pie (rear seat removal tops the list), but nothing is impossible by any stretch. They usually send instructions, but if not, they're on the site. PeterUbers and dsc888 gave some good tips to keep in mind in their write-ups. Using all of these, my friend and I did it all in about 6-7 hours (I move slow when hungover). So that's my suggestion, get a friend and knock it out! If you lived around here, I'd give you a hand, it's easy and actually quite fun.

By the way, I think PeterUbers is in Chicago...maybe you can bribe him to help out...
Old 05-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cTLgo
which dealer? I had my comptech springs installed at Mullers Woodfield Acura for $300

McGrath Acura of Westmont
Old 05-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Banned

Just called Mullers Woodfield Acura and they want $588.00.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Advanced

I'm tossing around the idea of getting the a-spec suspension and got a quote from my dealer (the only Acura dealer in Nashville, TN) and they quoted me $600 for the install. Not as bad as $1000, but still high IMHO. I'm having a hard time swallowing paying the same to have installed for what I'm getting the kit for. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of any reputable suspension works people here in Nashville so I'm in a quandry. With significant back problems of late, I'm very reluctant to do the job myself (though I have years of experience with car work up to and including engine overhaul)... Yeah.. Frustrating. Anyway... the a-spec suspension sounds so sweet for all the reviews, a real must have. Anyone in the Nashville area know of a trustworthy suspension shop that will CARE about my car?
Old 05-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Advanced

A-Spec Suspension Install and New Jersey.

I installed my own A-Spec suspension and it was not difficult. I think anyone with normal mechanical skills and some basic tools will be OK. My business partner installed his an honestly the hardest part was taking out the back seat. It can be done in 3 or 4 hours by most people. If you are in New Jersey and need a little help, I have a lift in my garage and all the tools necessary to install.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chill_dog
PeterUbers and dsc888 gave some good tips to keep in mind in their write-ups. Using all of these, my friend and I did it all in about 6-7 hours (I move slow when hungover). So that's my suggestion, get a friend and knock it out! If you lived around here, I'd give you a hand, it's easy and actually quite fun.

By the way, I think PeterUbers is in Chicago...maybe you can bribe him to help out...
Ha Ha! Glad to know that the write ups actually help ! My quote from Acura of Boston was $540. I politely declined and now have have the amount of cash sitting in the bank for some other great toy or mod. Can you say Toyo Proxes 4s?

The install can seem daunting at first but really is a breeze if you study the diagrams ahead of time. A torque wrench is essential as are basic tools and a lubricant such as WD-40. The feeling of accomplishment is in iteself worth the effort. The money saved is just a nice bonus.

dsc888
Old 05-18-2005, 12:13 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thank God i work for the dealer.......all i have to do is buy the service guys lunch and theyll do the install! The above prices are outragous though. Ur best bet is have one of their service guys do the install on the "side" for much less than going thru the dealer itself.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6SpdTerror
Thank God i work for the dealer.......all i have to do is buy the service guys lunch and theyll do the install! The above prices are outragous though. Ur best bet is have one of their service guys do the install on the "side" for much less than going thru the dealer itself.

since u work for a dealer, what is the typical time frame it takes to complete this job at a full blown shop? i guess i can't understand how the dealers are basing there cost for the install.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by tjker
since u work for a dealer, what is the typical time frame it takes to complete this job at a full blown shop? i guess i can't understand how the dealers are basing there cost for the install.
It should take one guy no more than 2 hours. That price is outrageous tho.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:58 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Installing the suspension kit should not take more than 1.5hrs if they know what they are doing. Otherwise your money is being wasted while they try to figure how to put them on since our TL is very new. My TEIN coilover kit took only 1.5hrs and costed me only $120 cdn ($95 US). I was able to drive away in less than 2hrs from the time I brought my car to the shop.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ed99
Installing the suspension kit should not take more than 1.5hrs if they know what they are doing. Otherwise your money is being wasted while they try to figure how to put them on since our TL is very new. My TEIN coilover kit took only 1.5hrs and costed me only $120 cdn ($95 US). I was able to drive away in less than 2hrs from the time I brought my car to the shop.
Was that from a dealer or a regular shop??
Old 05-18-2005, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Garage Kwai in Arlington Heights can do it for about $140 I believe...
Old 05-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by dsc888
Ha Ha! Glad to know that the write ups actually help ! My quote from Acura of Boston was $540. I politely declined and now have have the amount of cash sitting in the bank for some other great toy or mod. Can you say Toyo Proxes 4s?

The install can seem daunting at first but really is a breeze if you study the diagrams ahead of time. A torque wrench is essential as are basic tools and a lubricant such as WD-40. The feeling of accomplishment is in iteself worth the effort. The money saved is just a nice bonus.

dsc888
My money saved is going into new wheels, with Toyo Proxes 4, of course!

Funny thing though...I didn't need WD-40 for any of my bolts...must be a northern thing because of those crappy winters you guys have...

As for a professional install (full shop, lift, person who's done it before), I'd expect it to take about 2 hours. I could probably do it in 4 now that I've done it before.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:00 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by 6SpdTerror
Was that from a dealer or a regular shop??

THis price is from a shop here in Vancouver. I spoke to a few import tuner shops here and that is pretty much the standard price to install lowering springs or coilovers.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Racer

I called around to a bunch of suspension shops (based on recommendations from people on this board) and the lowest quote I got was $150 from a local place. My dealer wanted $540 for the install.

I just got my tax check so I think I'm going to have it done pretty soon...

-LOD
Old 05-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Talking

and they say canadians are slow ..eh
Old 05-19-2005, 11:04 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

thats true, although i dont think most places will bill 1.5 hours b/c of flat rate being so popular. you will find shops that, once they get very efficient at doing jobs (like my own), will still bill hourly. while many automotove journals are out there going into the economics of being efficient while still billing flat rate (so instead of billing 8 hours a day per tech you will want to strive for about 12-14 hours per day for a tech) call around to find out what shops will charge...though i think it might be hard to find one (depending on your area) that will bill you 1.5 hours.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:59 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Most places here in Vancouver import shops will charge a rate of $120 for our TL for example and sometimes they will take 2hrs or even 2.5hrs to do the job. But they will still only charge you $120 and no more. So your money is not wasted for someone that doesn't know what they are doing and charging you for it. Really our TL is not that hard to do. It would only take 5-10mins to pull the rear seats out and installing would take a good hour if you don't run into problems. So 1.5hr is a realistic time and should not take no more than 2.5hr to do. If they are they are ripping you off!!
Old 05-24-2005, 02:56 PM
Racer

Last time I asked Weir Canyon Acura in Anaheim they wanted 1,000 then I asked what's it for.. They said that it's 8 hours of labor blah blah... then I said, the spring is already loaded on the shock, so it should not take that long, unless you have a newbie techie... He then dropped it to the 500~ ish price
Old 08-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Licking Platters Clean

Just called Mullers Woodfield Acura and they want $588.00.
This is a good, standard, out of the book dealer price if it includes an alignment. This is about the price I was given at first, so I asked them if they could do better and the manager said ok, we'll do it for $425. I took the offer, I thought it was fair.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Racer

Got mine done with a four wheel alignment and RSB added for $235 in Atl
Old 08-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JackSprat01
This is a good, standard, out of the book dealer price if it includes an alignment. This is about the price I was given at first, so I asked them if they could do better and the manager said ok, we'll do it for $425. I took the offer, I thought it was fair.

that's not bad, but i ended up going with 20's and it filled the gap pretty nicely. i would still consider the aspec though if i knew i wasn't going to have serious rubbing issues.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Licking Platters Clean

that's not bad, but i ended up going with 20's and it filled the gap pretty nicely. i would still consider the aspec though if i knew i wasn't going to have serious rubbing issues.
Well, if you went with 20's you might be happier with the stock suspension anyway. Aspec + tiny profile = harsh ride. If you have the auto tranny, I'd still consider the comptech rear sway bar. I don't think anyone here has done ASPEC + 20s, someone correct me if I'm wrong?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Instructor

I got the same $1000 dollar quote from McGrath Acura of westmont about 5 months ago. Just like you I explained I had the A-spec kit already.

I showed up the next day, showed them the kit in the trunk, told them it couldn't take more than 2-3 hours to install. Finally paid about 360$ for the install.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Banned

Well, if you went with 20's you might be happier with the stock suspension anyway. Aspec + tiny profile = harsh ride. If you have the auto tranny, I'd still consider the comptech rear sway bar. I don't think anyone here has done ASPEC + 20s, someone correct me if I'm wrong?

ya i got the sway bar, and still the best mod for the money yet. i am curious to know if someone is running 20s w/aspec too, or something similar. probably right though, aspec w/20s would feel like a horse and buggy.

ZQQM, thats funny you got installed for $360. You should have asked what the other $640 was for.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:53 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
You are getting ripped off dude!

I paid exactly $248 to get my A-spec suspension and Comptech RSB from a body shop right around the corner. ANYBODY can do these things...it is very easy. Should not be great cost involved.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Banned

Huh!

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
I paid exactly $248 to get my A-spec suspension and Comptech RSB from a body shop right around the corner. ANYBODY can do these things...it is very easy. Should not be great cost involved.

who ru talking to?
Old 08-18-2005, 06:58 AM
Licking Platters Clean

You know, I really get tired of hearing this. OF COURSE we know you can pay peanuts at Bubba Gump's Body/Tranny/Muffler/Windshield Repair. Some simply prefer having the dealer rip apart their brand new $35k car as there is much more accountability there. Plus, this folds your parts and labor under your 4 year/48 warranty. I think it's only one year on parts ONLY if you let Bubba do it. Better yet to do it yourself if you have the time and patience, but local yokel shops can be risky. The horror stories are all over the net.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:51 AM
05 AM 6sp w/ Navi

My dealer is a mile down the road from where I work. I had every intention of getting my install done by them but played it cool when I emailed the service manager for a install quote. I said that my best quote so far was for $300 and asked if they could match or beat it. He came back with $375 and stated that this includes an alignment as well. I did the the whole "if a non dealer shop does the install, will if void my warranty?" thing. I was very impressed with his "well, as long as the install doesnt cause any other issues then you should be fine having done by anyone" answer. I am having it installed tomorrow morning so I can pick it up at lunch time. =)
Old 08-18-2005, 11:22 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

You know, I really get tired of hearing this. OF COURSE we know you can pay peanuts at Bubba Gump's Body/Tranny/Muffler/Windshield Repair. Some simply prefer having the dealer rip apart their brand new $35k car as there is much more accountability there. Plus, this folds your parts and labor under your 4 year/48 warranty. I think it's only one year on parts ONLY if you let Bubba do it. Better yet to do it yourself if you have the time and patience, but local yokel shops can be risky. The horror stories are all over the net.

I do know what you are saying and and almost completely in agreement - if it didnt happen to be a personal friend of mine than owns the body shop here in Indy (Borkowski Collision) I would have NEVER went that route. I wouldnt even take it there until his schedule was clear and he would do it himself. (waited about a month while he took vacation, caught up,ect). And price wasnt the issue...I would have paid them more to keep away from the dealer as I was that pissed at them at that time. And yes....you can go to the Acura dealer and get screwed in the ass once they find out you brought in your own parts (plenty up posts around here to back that one up....quoted $260- then got there with own parts and cost went to $1000,etc) They insist on a somewhat large margin to cover their overhead. So far as the warrantee issue goes...all Acura parts are warranted the same if you install or they install.....at least at our dealer around here. I mean...yes, if you incorrectly install them - NOBODY is going to warrant the part...but these are pretty hard to get on incorrectly. This big warrantee issue is nothing more than your Acura dealer telling you that he thinks you probably shouldnt be messing around with buying parts from ANYBODY that would give you a fair price or anything- and then have the audacity to bring the part to them to install because you cant handle it.....if you cant handle it...then you MOST likely dont have a clue of what they are really doing anyway- so they screw you hard! It is a pay me now or pay me later thing....and you either have to get your dealer over that thinking by establishing a relationship to that means from the start or simply be like the masses and get screwed (before or after). My dealer had no problem whatsoever with the mods I did to my car, and of couse I did them all myself (as I do have a good knowledge of how to/what was done/how it works/ ect - not to mention have a fairly good handle on their pricing structure and how it works as well as how they go to market and what is and what isnt important to them as a dealership) When you convince them you know the ins and outs....they wont bullshit around with you. It is too easy for you to cause trouble for them if you know what you are doing and how to go about it in a diplomatic way. And that is the big one...going about it in a diplomatic way. Once they know you know what is going on - and that there are truely two and sometimes three pricing structures from which they work with- and know when you can and cant take advantage of this....you are in like Flin! Ya....you will be that "jerk/insert proper saying here" for the first time or two....but then you will just be where you want to be. The power of your purchasing dollar is what you have - yes...my dealer wasnt real happy that they missed out on the opportunity to sell me a MAJORITY of what I have put on my car....but then again...they were the ones that told me that they were not in the business to negotiate pricing on parts, but then did as opposed to lose the sale to Acura of Escondido out of California on ebay (they can see these things too). Well....they missed out on the following sales to A of E (after the rims) as I immediately went out and got suspension,body kit, exhaust,ect.....and I wasnt going to them for install (like a bitch in need). I was just saying...there are other methods to accomplish the same thing. Trust me dude - my car is not something I take lightly at all and quality of work is pinnacle to me-not cost.....and I had Midas install the catback system (as easy as that is). If you know what you are talking about here....it IS REALLY HARD TO SCREW UP AN INSTALL ON THESE THINGS! It has been hot as heck around here- so I opted out of sweating my ass off doing it myself! (although I did do the CAI last weekend in 95 degree heat....thats when I knew I had spent money wisely before!)

Yes....outside shops can be very risky....but again.....knowing what the heck you are talking about to begin with will help you here and help you know when it is good and isnt good to do this. Fact is...a body shop is probably a better place then the dealer anyway if getting the suspension installed right is what you want....dealers many times pass over the much needed alignment and tell you it is not needed. (completely untrue) A body shop know about alignment my friend...most every car that comes in needs one as they have been in a wreck! They understand the ins and outs of what happens when you raise or lower your car/truck....and WILL adjust your alignment accordingly. Shit...they dealer, in many cases, does not even have a body shop at the Acura dealer that is strictly Acura....

So no...I am not some dumb ass Indiana boy that would take my car into "Andy Macks" to get serviced - but having worked in the automotive industry in the past - I insist on the HIGHEST QUALITY service that money can buy. I NEVER EVEN ASKED what the cost was from the body shop- that is where I picked to go! After having read all the horror stories about what people have paid (after having mine installed) it mystifies me - as Bob Borkowski told me that the pricing he charged me was - AND I QUOTE HERE - "right out of the book." So....the A-spec stuff is already listed in all the repair books and costs of install/repair/ect. He stated he just charged me rack rates as listed in the book (which he was suprised that they listed installs for body kit and suspension, etc.) Maybe this is because they do a huge amount of State Farm insurance work so they are hooked into all the lastest data bases? It actually cost me less to get the body kit installed than to get the suspension done! And when they were done with the suspension...I got a computer print out listing all the alignment specs that the car had been set to and what the factory recommended settings were listed in the A-spec directions. What they were before the alignment...and what they were after. Go ahead and go the your Acura dealer...I bet if they even mention an alignment - you wont get all the info I got! Just my And any shop you enter in accountable for your vehicle - I know what you are getting at (dealer and shop - the shop did it...no the dealer did it- dealer blaming the shop, ect.) but as I said....not sure what can go wrong with an exhaust or shocks? Either is so easy to do a kid could accomplish!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:33 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by P$$$
My dealer is a mile down the road from where I work. I had every intention of getting my install done by them but played it cool when I emailed the service manager for a install quote. I said that my best quote so far was for $300 and asked if they could match or beat it. He came back with $375 and stated that this includes an alignment as well. I did the the whole "if a non dealer shop does the install, will if void my warranty?" thing. I was very impressed with his "well, as long as the install doesnt cause any other issues then you should be fine having done by anyone" answer. I am having it installed tomorrow morning so I can pick it up at lunch time. =)

You see how a little knowledge can work for you Jack! And he got it done at the dealer, just like you insist! And funny how he also stated the same thing on the warrantee issue. I am not sure what the prob is Jack...I wasnt trying to dog you out or anything (judging from the flavor of your response you were dogging me) I was just trying to give additional info that people may be able to use to their benefit (just like this guy did!) YOU CAN TAKE IT ANYWHERE AND HAVE IT WORKED ON - JUST USE YOUR FRIGGIN HEAD ABOUT IT!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:35 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

who ru talking to?

Sorry...was talking to original thread starter and forgot to paste his comments inside.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:02 AM
Licking Platters Clean

USE YOUR FRIGGIN HEAD
Dude chill, and no, I'm not reading that Ripley's-worthy long ass post. This thread was about dealer ASPEC install pricing that's all I'm saying. That's what's in the title so I'm sure we'd all like to get the poster the best pricing he can get. Looks like he's skipping it for now anyway, so your bickering is pointless. Besides, the other dude only paid $50 less than me, happy for him, but on a 35k car it's chump so I don't see a major point there either.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:04 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Dude chill, and no, I'm not reading that Ripley's-worthy long ass post. This thread was about dealer ASPEC install pricing that's all I'm saying. That's what's in the title so I'm sure we'd all like to get the poster the best pricing he can get. Looks like he's skipping it for now anyway, so your bickering is pointless. Besides, the other dude only paid $50 less than me, happy for him, but on a 35k car it's chump so I don't see a major point there either.

And by the way, I hear a lot of that 35K stuff thrown around here and there too.....yep, yep, but isnt that kind of entry level these days? Isnt even worth mentioning unless you came from a Ford Taurus or something? And no...wasnt saying that you got a bad deal on your install...but you obviously have seen what these guys are holding some others up for! Ought to be illegal! Damn!