Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the Dunlop SP Sport tires put on over the weekend and they are noticeably quieter than the Goodyear F1 tires. Now I just need to send the old tires to tirerack.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Got them installed 2 days ago. About 120 miles so far. They're much smoother riding than my F1 A/S ever were. I no longer have vibration in the steering wheel that plagued the F1 A/S's. Not that I noticed yet at least. As far as ride comfort, they're smoother over bumps at 38 PSI than the F1's. Road noise is decent but then again, I was riding on bad F1's that became horribly noisy which I returned. Although I had been riding on the stock 30% tread Michelin Pilot HX factory tires for the last week or so during my transition. The Eagle GT's are slightly louder noise level than the more worn Michelin OEM tread but not unpleasant. Just hope they don't get louder and louder after 5k miles like the F1's did. If I remember correctly, the Eagle GT's are quieter than the F1 A/S when they were new since I remember transitioning from those same Michelin tires 1 year ago and going "Holy Crap these are noisy".

Dry traction = Great. It has not slipped yet, but I'm still breaking them in slowly.
Wet traction = Great so far. I did romp on it a little in the pouring rain and it spun but that's expected. They seem to be just as sticky as the F1 A/S tread was on wet pavement which is awesome.

My conclusions minus the corning/handling aspect since I have not hit any bends is similar to what the rack test showed in their comparison. As others have suspected, these won't be compared head to head against the F1 A/S in official tests because it's too close of a battle between the 2 from the same maker. Furthermore, I think that the Eagle GT will have a higher "Overall" score instead of that bias ranking of ~6.77 scores for the "Budget Ultra High Perf. A/S" tires vs the ~7.70 "Premium Ultra High Perf A/S" tire tests.

Tru-Line Seattle RoadForce readings from the GSP9700 Balancer are 1lb, 22lbs, 24lbs, and 23lbs. The 24lb one was Force-matched from an initial reading of 35lbs. I'll give an update when I put more mileage on them...
Old 05-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Wow, I'm glad to have found this thread. I bought 4 of these in January 2008 from Mavis Discount tire and had them mounted and aligned there as well. They always have been really loud and I recently noticed how badly worn the fronts are after only about 7,000 miles, but I though they just burn out quick b/c of the Z rating and being so soft. While getting an oil change/inspection today, the guys at Monro called me in to show the steel belts showing in the front right tire. They rotated them to get the bad tire in the rear and told me to not even bother trying inspection today b/c that would fail me. Also suggested that I should try to take it up w/ Mavis and/or Goodyear ASAP.

I will be calling Goodyear first thing in the morning.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ricky Vaughn
Wow, I'm glad to have found this thread. I bought 4 of these in January 2008 from Mavis Discount tire and had them mounted and aligned there as well. They always have been really loud and I recently noticed how badly worn the fronts are after only about 7,000 miles, but I though they just burn out quick b/c of the Z rating and being so soft. While getting an oil change/inspection today, the guys at Monro called me in to show the steel belts showing in the front right tire. They rotated them to get the bad tire in the rear and told me to not even bother trying inspection today b/c that would fail me. Also suggested that I should try to take it up w/ Mavis and/or Goodyear ASAP.

I will be calling Goodyear first thing in the morning.
You may want to have an alignment done on your vehicle. Wearing any set of tires out in 7000 miles is rather fast even if you didn't rotate them in the 7000 miles they were on the front. You may have some toe issues leading to your rapid tire wear, and since your tires started feathering/cupping from that, it caused the tires to become louder.

The F1 A/S 420 treadwear rating should get people between 20-40k miles depending on their driving habits and other variables like city vs highway driving.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Instructor

After just getting off the phone with Goodyear Customer Service, I could not be happier with the way they handled the matter so far. The Goodyear CSR was very nice, started a claim file # and instructed me to go to the local Goodyear store to set up a time for them to inspect.
5 minutes later, I called the Goodyear store and they were already notified and awaiting my call. The Goodyear tech said he just needs to inspect and then call Customer Service during business hours and they should cover it and then we can set up a time for the install of the replacements.

So far so good. I'm glad to see the company taking responsibility for an obvious manufacturing defect.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Racer

Great post, I just got off the phone with Tirerack who confirmed all of this, however, they said the refund would be for replacement tires, not the original tire, so I bought the most expensive summer tire they sold (F1 asymmetric). Thanks to xtremeaudio44.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Couldn't be happpier w/ Goodyear for replacing these. The Goodyear tech just asked to see any proof I had of age and mileage (Mavis receipt) and measured the tread depth. He nicely assured me that he would call corporate and get back to me this afternoon. 5 minutes later he calls me back saying he is now authorized to replace with any Goodyear or Dunlop tires I want. I'm going with the Dunlop Sport Signature b/c they are in stock and are W rated for even better tread life. I'll just have to pay for a new alignment, which I can't complain about, especially since they can have it all done tomorrow by lunch.

Nice work Goodyear
Old 05-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
anyone dealt this recall with discount tires? i bought mine a year ago from them and they are currently sitting in the garage with less then 5,000 miles. i don't really like them because of its harsh ride and tramlining behavior. it'll be nice if it can be replaced with newer gt tires.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by minkl81
anyone dealt this recall with discount tires? i bought mine a year ago from them and they are currently sitting in the garage with less then 5,000 miles. i don't really like them because of its harsh ride and tramlining behavior. it'll be nice if it can be replaced with newer gt tires.
Minkl81 - Check Page 1 of this post. Another member was able to work out a "no cost" deal with goodyear and discount tire.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
2nd Gear

hello Acura members! I'm actually a member from club 3G eclipseforums.org. My brother is a member here and he linked me to this exact thread last night. I just want to add in some more info for all of you.

Thank God for you guys to initially come up with this thread cause it seems like no other forums have. The bimmer forum just started to talk about it from searching around.

I have a pair of F1's 235/45/17 on my eclipse. Bought them 2 years ago.

-Road Noise = out of control
-Tire had consistent leak and was due to some strange inner side wall deterioration. So some weird adhesive had to be put on to close the tiny gap to not let air out
-Ride = front end felt like crap, oem tires rode better...

I got my tires from Discount Tires and I informed them about the problem. The sales guy was sort of befuddled and thought I was bs'ing him until he called Goodyear.

ALL GOODYEAR EAGLE F1's A/S - Purchased BEFORE 4/19/09 will qualify for this recall. That is exactly what the rep said from Goodyear.

Reasons why for the silent - unofficial - unannounced recall, is due to... well all of the problems we're all having... Road Noise, cupping, unusual feathering and any other problems.

I have my appointment to get my new tires tomorrow which will be replaced with the new Goodyear GT. Same size as my F1 tires too, 235/45/17. The other sales guy looked over and he was like pro-rating? The guy that was helping me informed him too, that all Eagle F1 A/S are being recalled and qualify to be prorated (get new tires equal or lesser value).

SO! For those of you that might have bought these crappy tires from Discount and was wondering if they can get a new set? Now you know, Get your butt in and tell them! If they so no, you make them call Goodyear.

Hope this helps out for you guys! It's no longer "just" tirerack any more

Last edited by x3Gx6G72x; 05-19-2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: missed some info
Old 05-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Racquetballer

Hey guys. I bought my GY Eagle F1 AS's in Jan '08, One of my rear tires is halfway bald, and the other three are 2/32" or less. Do you think I can still qualify to have these replaced? These tires lasted less than 15,000 miles and I'm only commuting. No abnormal driving habits that would lead to premature wear. I've rotated four times atleast within this period as well. What do you guys think? I purchased these tires locally. Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:34 PM
2nd Gear

yeah absolutely. Any F1 a/s purchased before 4/19/09 qualifies for this recall.What are the problems you're experiencing?

If nothing, I would just say what we're all having problems with. Ridiculous amount of road noise, actual ride of tire is terrible, blah blah blah.

If they say no, make them call Goodyear and then they will know once they get informed. Or if you want call goodyear first and explain to them; then give them the number to the shop you bought the tires from. See if they can work out a deal.

I just got my front 2 done. For me, discount tire prorated my eagle f1's cause that's what goodyear told them to do. With the amount of tread left I got about $70 credit back per each tire. So for both of my new goodyear gt's i paid about $60 each and then installation. Total came out to be $171 with tax and installation.

Just to give you a clear idea on how much I had to pay. So I basically paid for one tire+installation. Not bad I don't remember how much tread I have left. Also I purchased mine Jan 07.... so you'll be okay

Actually just to be safe, call goodyear first and work out a deal. When I think about it, I have this weird feeling if you bring it to your shop where you bought it from they'll think you're bs'ing them; and ask to go for a ride in your car. Then that'll screw everything up, because if you don't have any actual problems then... no new tires
Old 05-28-2009, 11:13 PM
NBP REPRESENT

anybody do some serious milege on the eagle GT?

my tires have maybe 8-9k on them and are strting to get loud...

besides the noise, they handle great...

just curious
Old 08-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Intermediate

I just contacted Goodyear Customer Service this AM. They contacted a local dealer who they set up an appointment and directed me to go to that dealer. I purchased the Goodyear F1 A/S in August, 2007, had 28K miles on the tires and 5/16" tread left, slight cupping on the inside edge and feathering on the outside edges. Tires rotated every 7500 miles and car aligned twice in 62K miles. Goodyear approved replacement tires at equal price or less and I went with the GY ResponsEdge since they were the closest match to the F1's. The F1's got so loud that at approx. 45 mph you would have to turn up the radio! Very annoying. I give credit to Goodyear, I have no problem paying for mounting a balancing to receive four new tires. They (Goodyear) stepped up to the plate and delivered in my opinion.

2005 TL six speed

Last edited by mayday813; 08-13-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:43 PM
NBP REPRESENT

i had gotten mine from discount tire, had about 11K on each when all said and done..contacted them and they paid for return shipped due to the noise and balancing problems...they prorated each tire to 9/32 and refunded me about 600 bucks and they also reimbursed me for mounting and balancing costs( had gotten it done twice)
another $250 bucks...

i ended up getting bridgestone 960 PP a/s and i love them...

A+++++ for discount tire direct...
Old 08-15-2009, 07:39 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I've always touted these tires in previous threads as I'm on my 2nd set. I love the way they handle, especially on wet and snowy roads. But alas, I now have to agree with mayday813 100% on the noise issue. I too have to turn up the radio to drown out the noise at 45 MPH. I have no unusual wear issues, just noise unlike the previous set. It's obvious the quality has slipped since they came out 2 years ago.

Called Goodyear yesterday. They gave me a case # and instructed me to go to my tire dealer, Mavis, have the tires inspected, and have someone from Mavis call them.

Will post the results. Stay tuned.......
Old 09-03-2009, 05:51 PM
04 TL 6MT / 06 Pilot

Agreed. These tires do perform it's such a shame about the noise. I don't even have my TL anymore but I do have the wheels and tires...so I'll be calling Tirerack tomorrow for a new set. Hopefully.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Racer

About 5000(mostly highway) miles so far on the Eagle GT. So far, still pretty quiet and vibration free. Despite the Eagle GT A/S being the same size as the F1 A/S's in 245/40/18, the Eagle's look noticeably narrower on the same rim, but this hasn't detracted from handling one bit. I like the sporty look and sidewall profile of the Eagle GT but I miss the width of the F1 A/S's.

F1's (notice the width):
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...h/IMG_0440.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...h/IMG_0441.jpg

Eagle GT's:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...h/IMG_0602.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...h/IMG_0603.jpg
Old 09-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Instructor

I just bought the Eagle GT's with some a-specs back in April. I have around 1500 miles on them and so far, so good. I'm looking to get some F1's for my other car, but after reading this, I'm wondering if I should.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Does anyone know if I could take my F1's to a Goodyear store and have this done? Or is this a tirerack only thing. I did get the tires from tirerack, but I have a Goodyear store around the corner.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:31 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by binhsterbinh
About 5000(mostly highway) miles so far on the Eagle GT. So far, still pretty quiet and vibration free. Despite the Eagle GT A/S being the same size as the F1 A/S's in 245/40/18, the Eagle's look noticeably narrower on the same rim, but this hasn't detracted from handling one bit. I like the sporty look and sidewall profile of the Eagle GT but I miss the width of the F1 A/S's.

F1's (notice the width):

Eagle GT's:

Fixed Pics.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

I just talked to Tirerack and they are sending me new tires under the recall plus $100 for shipping and installation.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:56 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Smile Noise problem solved

Took the car in to my tire dealer, Mavis last week. Told them I had a case # with Goodyear for noise issues. They found the left rear tire was 'feathering', so they just replaced it no charge.

Also had a wheel alignment while I was there since it had been awhile.

All is quiet on the road again .......

Old 09-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Advanced

do you guys have the goodyear customer service number? i got my f1s from a local tire shop store...
Old 10-04-2009, 11:35 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

I purchased these same tires, 235/45ZR17 94Y F1 ALL, on 1/26/2008.
But I purchased them from Sams Club, please don't rag on me for that.
Is there anything I can do about them? I went into Sams the other day to have them look at a screw or something that is lodged in the tire, but not yet leaking. He said he couldn't work on the tire(s) as they are just about bald. I understand this thread is talking about tirerack purchases, but I wonder who I should contact about this silent recall?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:46 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Upon reading the 2nd page of posts...

Sounds like I can contact Goodyear and they will help me get in touch with a local Goodyear dealer to get these replaced?
I'm very noob when it comes to tires and cars etc, what is the normal mileage I should get out of these tires at their rating?
The SAMS guy said due to the rating he didn't think they were under any warranty, so I'd just have to purchase new ones.

I don't rag out my car or tires, just take a nice toll road everyday to work, this set has worn nearly bald less than a year into them. Not normal right?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:54 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

So is this a real "recall" or what kind of recall is it? I called Goodyear customer service about my tires which have 22k miles on them, she said the life expectancy for these tires was 30k, set me up with a local Discount Tires, to inspect. I took it up there, they inspected the tires, they called Goodyear back with my case #, I got a $43 credit on each tire. So that worked out to $172 discount off brand new ones. They sell them for $160 each. So $640 - $172 = $468 but they added on their lifetime repair/rotate/etc fees of $93 each tire and then $15 install of each tire, I'm back up to $662 total.

Did I really get a good deal? Seems like I just got the same deal I would have got if I walked in.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Advanced

I got these tires put on the car from the dealer i bought from back in February of 2007. They have about 28,000 miles on them.

I just tried to get my local tire plus dealer to do an oil change with tire rotation and they said the back tires had really bad cupping and if the rotated them to the front it would make the steering potentially bad.

since i didn't actually buy these tires myself, but they were bought new when i got the car, is there anything i can do as far as this recall goes or anything towards new tires?

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's always good to hear when a company steps up and tries to make right by the customer. I admired Ford for it with my '98 Explorer, I was about to replace the tires anyway, but they paid for it. Too bad Bridgestone (and Acura) didn't on my EL42's belt separation problem, I won't put Bridgestone's on my cars again. Funny- they own Firestone too, coincidence or crappy tires across the board?

The Nov. '09 Consumer Reports (V Rated tire ratings) ranked the Dunlop Signature (#4) above the Eagle GT (#9), the Dunlop was recommended. The Dunlop seems to be the better all season tire for snow & ice. The GT had better rating in ride comfort.

Last edited by millarduck; 10-18-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mattakramer
i got these tires put on the car from the dealer i bought from back in february of 2007. They have about 28,000 miles on them.

I just tried to get my local tire plus dealer to do an oil change with tire rotation and they said the back tires had really bad cupping and if the rotated them to the front it would make the steering potentially bad.

Since i didn't actually buy these tires myself, but they were bought new when i got the car, is there anything i can do as far as this recall goes or anything towards new tires?

Thanks.
bump anyone? Please...
Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MattAKramer
bump anyone? Please...
A coworker of mine had these tires on his g35. They were also cupping bad, so I told him about what goodyear was doing and how they helped me out. He never purchased the tires since they came with the car, just like you. He called goodyear customer service and they told him to have them inspected by a goodyear dealer. They inspected them and goodyear gave him $220 for the front tires and $280 for the rears. So if I was you, I would call goodyear and complain about them.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Does anyone know the number i need to call to get good year to take care of this? I'm being told I need to replace my tires and I'd rather not fork out more cash based on lemon tires if I don't have to. Please anyone let me know ASAP.

Thanks!!!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:40 AM
2nd Gear

Hi Everyone ...... I'm new to this forum and wanted to thank all of you for your posts about the GY Eagle F1 A/S '' Silent Recall '' .

I purchased a set of GY Eagle F1 A/S tires back in June of 08 from Discount Tire for my 05 Acura RL . They were the 245/45ZR-18's which had almost 25,000 miles on them before i stumbled across this thread . I called the GY 800 # and complained about the excessive noise (more like a growl) and also a cupping issue the tires were having . The GY Rep said i need to go back to Discount Tire for an Inspection and have them call GY back with the condition of the tires . Discount Tire Inspected the tires right away and said i had 3/32'' of tread left , then called the GY Rep while i was there waiting . The GY Rep said he would give me a credit of 186 dollars per tire . That plus a 65 dollar sales tax refund added up to be 809 dollars towards a new set of tires !

I was originally going to go the distance with the F1's till the tread was gone , but i could not pass up the deal GY made me that day . GY would not credit me for mounting costs on the new tires i had installed , but with this deal how could you complain .

Thank you AcuraZine and Good Year ........ The '' BlueBullet ''
Old 09-12-2011, 01:43 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
NP all my idea of course.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I too have these piece of shit tires, that I purchased in '08. And I too am experiencing the same thing. I have less than 18,000 miles on them, but I thought it was too late for me to do anything and I would have to just come out the pocket for some new tires. I'll call discount tire today and ask about this silent recall and see if they can do anything. I'm not looking forward to paying $700 - $800 for a new set of tires right now.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Well thanks to this thread, goodyear granted me $220 in credit (55 per tire). I actually had 24,000 miles on them, so I think that's pretty fair. The guy at dtc was surprised I even got that, and that was after I convinced him to call goodyear. Using the 220 credit I got a new set of tires (not goodyear) and ended up paying $591 this includes the free replacement warranty which they "conveniently" added in. I'm thinking about going back and have them take this warranty off, as I usually don't get things like this, but another part of me is saying keep it because the total cost is still less than I would have had to pay without the goodyear credit.