Getting some BC coilovers, who else is riding on them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by VisualEchos
On a side note, I've found that the camber difference is definitely part of what makes the front tire look thicker than the rear, even though it's not. Basically the shadow is very short on the front, and longer in the rear. I'm wondering now if I should get a camber kit for the front to help with this.
I don't think you need a camber kit for the front, but rear maybe. To me Toe adjustment was more necessary than camber. I am running -1.9/-2.0 camber in front and -3.4/-3.6 in rear. My toe was off my -1 degrees on each side and I didn't notice till I changed by 3rd set of Hankook v12 in 7th week of putting my wheels on. I was blaming my camber for the quick wear all along but then I put it on alignment rack and knew it was the toe instead.
The following users liked this post:
VisualEchos (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by SidhuSaaB
I don't think you need a camber kit for the front, but rear maybe. To me Toe adjustment was more necessary than camber. I am running -1.9/-2.0 camber in front and -3.4/-3.6 in rear. My toe was off my -1 degrees on each side and I didn't notice till I changed by 3rd set of Hankook v12 in 7th week of putting my wheels on. I was blaming my camber for the quick wear all along but then I put it on alignment rack and knew it was the toe instead.
Agreed, my shop said that camber is almost never responsible for premature tire wear, it's almost always toe. -2.2° just seems like a lot when my race car has -2.0° lol

On a side note, for anyone looking for this information in the future:

Stock front coilover assy is 12.6 lbs
BC Racing coilover assy is 9.7 lbs

Stock rear coilover assy is 11.5 lbs
BC Racing coilover assy is 8.8 lbs

A pretty good weight savings if you ask me.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
It is true that toe is usually the culprit. That being said, having camber off by a couple degrees can wear out your tires prematurely as well. The tires might last longer than if the toe is off, but you still wouldn't be getting the full lifespan from them.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by ExcelerateRep
It is true that toe is usually the culprit. That being said, having camber off by a couple degrees can wear out your tires prematurely as well. The tires might last longer than if the toe is off, but you still wouldn't be getting the full lifespan from them.
Agreed, but I'm so easy on tires that it's not going to make much difference really. This is my daily, and my commute is 2.6 miles .
ExcelerateRep (07-27-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 09:48 AM
Andrew

Originally Posted by justnspace
going by this crude conversion chart;

16 = 896
15 = 840
14 = 784
13 = 728
12 = 672
11 = 616
10 = 560
9.0 = 504
8.5 = 476
8.0 = 448
7.5 = 420
7.0 = 392
6.5 = 364
6.0 = 336
5.5 = 308
5.0 = 280
4.5 = 252
4.0 = 224
3.0 = 168
2.0 = 112

12kg front = 672lbs/inch
6kg rear = 336lbs/inch
I want to thank you again for this post, it really helped out while talking to the BC rep (who is exceptionally nice BTW, and willing to do just about anything to make me happy).

For anyone reading this thread for info, please note the following.

I did not get the Extreme Low kit, which is about 20mm lower than the standard kit.

The set of springs I got with my coilovers were the standard springs (12F/6R), but you can order just about anything from BC. These are made to be damped at 8-10 from hard, which basically means they expect you to drop the car significantly, or race the car (unlikely). There is no other reason for spring rates this high on a luxury car. I could not find the stock spring rates (national secret I suppose), but researching similar cars, and other Honda/Acura rates, I'm betting they're 6F/3R...if that, so we're talking about double what the stock units are.

What does that mean to you? It means that the nice smooth ride you love so much in your TL will be gone at 12F/6R, no matter the height or damping, so take care in choosing your spring rates.

In these spring heights, you can go as low as 6F/4R, but you need to tell them that up front because they won't just come that way. This is the closest to stock you're going to get, and will allow you to use the proper amount of damping.

Now, if you want that crashing feel, and fantastic turn-in, and to somehow dream that you're driving a sports car and not a luxury cruiser, then by all means, get the standard 12/6 or even 12/10 that some have chosen, and turn up those dampers.

If you have questions, please feel free to PM me.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
Dude, I own a Lotus Exige, I got that .
Ok good, just want to be helpful from what I have learned since I've gotten into AutoX (Integra & TL) and Ice RallyX (TL) .

Sounds like you figured out that 12k F/6k R is a little stiff for your application.

To add to your last post:
From Tein's website their spring rates for Acura TL's are:

S.tech 5.5k F/5.5k R
H.tech 5.3k F/3.3k R

Let us know what spring rates you get for your TL and how it works out!

Just because I am curious... Why do you run R compound tires on your Lotus if you don't race it?
VisualEchos (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 12:59 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO
Ok good, just want to be helpful from what I have learned since I've gotten into AutoX (Integra & TL) and Ice RallyX (TL).
I hope that didn't sound bad, I didn't mean it that way, no voice inflection on the Internet!

Sounds like you figured out that 12k F/6k R is a little stiff for your application.
Yeah, haha, way stiff, and too stiff for most anyone's application IMO.

To add to your last post:
From Tein's website their spring rates for Acura TL's are:

S.tech 5.5k F/5.5k R
H.tech 5.3k F/3.3k R
Thanks, I guess I should have done some more research. Not that I would have gotten a different product, just a different spring rate. There are even luxury car rates out now!

Let us know what spring rates you get for your TL and how it works out!
It'll be 6F/4R for sure. I'll update the thread when I get them on.

Just because I am curious... Why do you run R compound tires on your Lotus if you don't race it?
I run full slicks in the Summer, and R888's in the Winter (they never touch snow, but slicks aren't supposed to be in temps under 50°). I live very close to some super smooth, lightly driven back-roads, and that's where my fun is had. Racing is a rich man's sport, and it'll beat the crap out of your car, end of story. Back-road fun driving is MUCH more enjoyable to me than chasing numbers with money.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Andrew

Winter shot.

Got Grip? by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Slpr04UA6 (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 07:33 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Keep us updated! All info is Good Info, IMO!

Always Love your Shots!
VisualEchos (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 11:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I hope that didn't sound bad, I didn't mean it that way, no voice inflection on the Internet!
No worries, I knew what you meant . Your TL's a daily not a race car, that's your Lotus. If you know anybody that has a set of scales it would be worth the few hours it takes to balance it out.

Yeah, haha, way stiff, and too stiff for most anyone's application IMO.
I settled on Aspec for my TL and after riding on 10k F/ 8k R in my Integra they feel like I am riding on a cloud.

Thanks, I guess I should have done some more research. Not that I would have gotten a different product, just a different spring rate. There are even luxury car rates out now!
That's sweet that they have luxury spring rates, it's all part of the testing process! Until you try them out you won't know.

It'll be 6F/4R for sure. I'll update the thread when I get them on.
I think those will work great for you a little stiffer than stock springs but much better than the 12k F/ 6k R, and the stock top hats will make a big difference.

I run full slicks in the Summer, and R888's in the Winter (they never touch snow, but slicks aren't supposed to be in temps under 50°). I live very close to some super smooth, lightly driven back-roads, and that's where my fun is had. Racing is a rich man's sport, and it'll beat the crap out of your car, end of story. Back-road fun driving is MUCH more enjoyable to me than chasing numbers with money.
Wheel to wheel racing can be a rich man's sport but AutoX is very low $$ and HPDE's cost more $$$, but net you way more seat time. Those two events are what you make of it, I like to learn how to handle my car at the limit and push my limits and the cars in a controlled environment plus you meet a ton of very cool people, some like taking pictures too . The Lotus has to be an animal with either one of those kind of tire on it. How do you like the R888's? I am looking for a set of dedicated track tires for my Integra and those would fit the bill since they are DOT approved.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:38 AM
Andrew

I think those will work great for you a little stiffer than stock springs but much better than the 12k F/ 6k R, and the stock top hats will make a big difference.
Unfortunately I can't use the stock top hats, as they are made for progressive spring rates, and the BC's are static. But I think 6/4 will make the difference I need anyway.

Wheel to wheel racing can be a rich man's sport but AutoX is very low $$ and HPDE's cost more $$$, but net you way more seat time.
I have tried them all. I honestly don't care for auto-x, or the terrible surface they're on many times, but I do like HPDE's, and may do a few next year. Still, they get your blood pumping for that kind of thing, and you want more each time you do one. You know what I mean.

I also, back in the day, when to a Bob Bondurant high performance weekend, and still use the advice that was given to me. Simple stuff really, like braking in a straight line, and smoothness glue, and how to apply the brakes properly. The Lotus requires a few more bits of info, like never lifting mid-corner, or over a hill, mid-engined stuff.

The Lotus has to be an animal with either one of those kind of tire on it. How do you like the R888's? I am looking for a set of dedicated track tires for my Integra and those would fit the bill since they are DOT approved.
The Lotus is on a different level from anything I've ever driven, and I've driven a LOT of very expensive "sports cars" (which were really GT cars). The difference isn't in how fast it is, because it's not, it's in how it moves. It really acts like it knows what you're thinking.

With regards to the R888's, I don't prefer them to the A048, but they're damn close, and honestly can't be beat for the money IMO!
Old 07-12-2015, 10:04 PM
Andrew

Perfect. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Old 07-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

I love the stance, wheel and tire combo. Looks Great!

Unfortunately I can't use the stock top hats, as they are made for progressive spring rates, and the BC's are static. But I think 6/4 will make the difference I need anyway.
I didn't reliaze that, hopefully the new spring rates work for you.

I have tried them all. I honestly don't care for auto-x, or the terrible surface they're on many times, but I do like HPDE's, and may do a few next year. Still, they get your blood pumping for that kind of thing, and you want more each time you do one. You know what I mean.

I also, back in the day, when to a Bob Bondurant high performance weekend, and still use the advice that was given to me. Simple stuff really, like braking in a straight line, and smoothness glue, and how to apply the brakes properly. The Lotus requires a few more bits of info, like never lifting mid-corner, or over a hill, mid-engined stuff.
Thank Goodness! I was worried you didn't use that Lotus on the track. I saw your tire choice and I was like no way would you by that level of tire and not use it on the track. I hear ya on the track surfaces for AutoX being less than ideal, but that's part of the fun . I can run all my autoX's for less $$ than a HPDE. It's cheap fun for me an you meant very nice people.

The Lotus is on a different level from anything I've ever driven, and I've driven a LOT of very expensive "sports cars" (which were really GT cars). The difference isn't in how fast it is, because it's not, it's in how it moves. It really acts like it knows what you're thinking.

With regards to the R888's, I don't prefer them to the A048, but they're damn close, and honestly can't be beat for the money IMO!
Excellent, I will look at a set when it's time to replace my RS-3's
VisualEchos (07-15-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 07:59 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Been following this thread because I'm considering BC's as well. Has your new set of springs come in yet? It sounds like the rep is being super helpful in getting what you need. Is there any info on how the extra low option effects ride quality?
Old 07-21-2015, 10:51 AM
Andrew

Originally Posted by Greenman604
Been following this thread because I'm considering BC's as well. Has your new set of springs come in yet? It sounds like the rep is being super helpful in getting what you need. Is there any info on how the extra low option effects ride quality?
I don't have the springs yet, he's still sourcing them. The rep is awesome.

I believe the factory springs to be 1/2 for the rear, and probably 3 for the front, so ANY springs + lowering will have a negative effect on ride quality...if you're looking to preserve the stock ride. Even the A-Spec kit that everyone buys rides more harshly than a base TL. However, if you choose the 4R/6F option from BC, I'm sure the harshness will be minimized. After having my 6R/12F on for a while, with all the way soft on the rear damping, and 15 on the front, it's not that bad of a ride with the drop I have, I'm just one of those weird guys wanting to make the car MORE luxurious, not less.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Awesome pics Thankyou.
I have only installed TEIN SS & SA coilovers.
What do you think is better ?
These coilovers or TEIN SA ?
07 Type-S here.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Instructor

I don't have the springs yet, he's still sourcing them. The rep is awesome.

I believe the factory springs to be 1/2 for the rear, and probably 3 for the front, so ANY springs + lowering will have a negative effect on ride quality...if you're looking to preserve the stock ride. Even the A-Spec kit that everyone buys rides more harshly than a base TL. However, if you choose the 4R/6F option from BC, I'm sure the harshness will be minimized. After having my 6R/12F on for a while, with all the way soft on the rear damping, and 15 on the front, it's not that bad of a ride with the drop I have, I'm just one of those weird guys wanting to make the car MORE luxurious, not less.
I was referring to the extreme low option that BC offers. I assume those weren't something you were interested in but maybe someone else can shine some light on it.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:47 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
Awesome pics Thankyou.
I have only installed TEIN SS & SA coilovers.
What do you think is better ?
These coilovers or TEIN SA ?
07 Type-S here.
It depends on the preference. My buddy has Flex and he said its way too soft for his liking and he should've got the BC.
The following 2 users liked this post by turtlecivic:
JD TL-S (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 02:48 PM
Racer

I was referring to the extreme low option that BC offers. I assume those weren't something you were interested in but maybe someone else can shine some light on it.
BC extreme lows just comes with a smaller cartridge but other than that its the same. I had BC on mine and I love the ride feels like an Evo. 25 in the front and 20 in the rear.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:54 PM
Andrew

The Extreme Low comes 20mm shorter, that's the exact difference.

I don't know how anyone driving a luxury car would think any coil-over was too soft, especially when they are ALL harder than stock, but I guess there are those people who own the car that are more performance minded.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:09 AM
Racer

The Extreme Low comes 20mm shorter, that's the exact difference.

I don't know how anyone driving a luxury car would think any coil-over was too soft, especially when they are ALL harder than stock, but I guess there are those people who own the car that are more performance minded.
If you max out the Tein on the SS/SA/Flex its too soft and its not stiff enough it feels somewhat stock.
VisualEchos (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by turtlecivic
If you max out the Tein on the SS/SA/Flex its too soft and its not stiff enough it feels somewhat stock.
+1, With Teins SA/SS the lower you go the softer they get since they dont offer preload adjustment. As you lower the locking ring on Teins they spring loses its preload and expands.

Also the BC Extreme Low option, like VisualEchos said is 20mm shorter but that is the case for the rears only. The fronts are identical for normal BCs and extreme-low.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:43 PM
Instructor

About to pull the trigger on the BC's, just gotta decide on a spring rate...
Old 07-25-2015, 09:32 PM
Andrew

About to pull the trigger on the BC's, just gotta decide on a spring rate...
After driving on these for a while, I'll say that I could live with the 12/6 I got for sure, but would have ordered softer springs had I known to do so. At a minimum I would have gotten 10/6, which might work fine for you. There are guys on here that have 12/10, which I don't recommend, as they will be nowhere near stock, and unless you're racing the car or slamming it to the ground it makes no sense. They probably got them from a vendor that ordered them that way for whatever reason. Standard is going to be 12/6.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Instructor

I'm looking to do something like this https://acurazine.com/forums/car-par...dition-902927/ . Thus I would be leaning more towards 12/6 or even the possible 12/10.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Andrew

The spring doesn't have anything to do with the wheel size, it's all about the drop. The more you plan to slam it, the higher spring rate you will need. I run 18 x 9.5 myself.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

I'm looking to do something like this https://acurazine.com/forums/car-par...dition-902927/ . Thus I would be leaning more towards 12/6 or even the possible 12/10.
Stock BC spring rates are 12/6 for TL
Old 07-28-2015, 12:20 PM
Andrew

Stock BC spring rates are 12/6 for TL
But should be 6/4, if someone isn't looking to race or slam the car, as that's the closest to stock.
SidhuSaaB (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

But should be 6/4, if someone isn't looking to race or slam the car, as that's the closest to stock.
Correct.
Thus I would be leaning more towards 12/6
I was referring to GreenMan's comment regarding chosing 12/6 spring rate on his car and I was saying he doesnt have to chose as that is the default spring rate for BCs.

I have the stock BC rate (12/6) and I find it fine for most applications, while I could use a higher spring rate in the back as the subs in my trunk cause the wheel to rub on my fender on dips.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:51 AM
Andrew

I have the stock BC rate (12/6) and I find it fine for most applications, while I could use a higher spring rate in the back as the subs in my trunk cause the wheel to rub on my fender on dips.
I can see why you would need higher in the rear, you're slammed!!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Intermediate

I can see why you would need higher in the rear, you're slammed!!

Old 07-29-2015, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Gonna pull the trigger on the 12/6 today.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:28 PM
Andrew

Nice!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Instructor

@Visual Did you replace any suspension components when you did the install?
Old 08-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Racer

IMO I would get an aftermarket sway bar with moog endlinks.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Andrew

Not at all, in fact, my stock struts are still very good. 80K easy miles. I also didn't have all the rust/dirt/grease everywhere that is found in most suspension threads, and all my bolts came out/off easily. Of course, I did PB Blast all the stuff the week before...
Old 08-25-2015, 09:33 PM
< ------ Stunt'N ------ >

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Quick question for you guys, do these BC coils come with an adjustable FRONT camber plate?? In order words, can you adjust camber on the FRONTS??
Old 08-26-2015, 07:40 AM
Andrew

Originally Posted by 20TwozZZZzz
Quick question for you guys, do these BC coils come with an adjustable FRONT camber plate?? In order words, can you adjust camber on the FRONTS??
No, no camber adjustment.
20TwozZZZzz (10-04-2015)