FYI TPMS Error Info

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI TPMS Error Info

I recently had 2 TPMS sensors die and searching here didn't come up with consistent answers so here are my findings.

First, dealer wanted $135 to replace EACH sensor, this is a complete ripoff and there is no reason you need to go to the dealer. List price for a sensor is ~$50, so they basically wanted $85 to change a tire. I bought sensors on Ebay for $40 each and took them to a local tire place that charged $15 per wheel to install.

Second, TPMS batteries are not replaceable. They supposedly last 5-7 years and when they go bad the whole unit needs to be replaced. In order to get the most for your money, I recommend buying the newest sensors. The part number has been updated, OEM part numbers from oldest to newest are 06421-S3V-A02, 06421-S3V-A03 and 06421-S3V-A04. This may not make much of a dfference but since the price differences are minimal between them I bought the A04s to be safe.

Now my problem...

My TPMS was working fine until I switched to my winter wheels. The 2 right side wheels would not register any numbers, the left 2 worked fine. Usually when I switch wheels they read 58psi for a few miles and then read fine. I drove for a day or two and the system still did not sync. Eventually I got a big orange "TPMS System Error" warning and all tires showed dashes as shown below. The message would flash every time I started the car.

Search results did not confirm whether new sensors would clear the error messages, but I can confirm that all errors cleared after driving 3 miles with new sensors. There is no resetting required and no reason to go to the dealer.

If you don't check the display until you get the error message it can be hard to determine which sensor is bad because once the error displays all sensors stop showing PSI. If you have a second set of wheels you can switch them out and eventually figure out which sensor is bad, below is an easier way to confirm the problem if you have nav. I'm not sure how to check if you don't have nav.

Push the INFO button.

Next push MESSAGES.

Next push ALL MESSAGES or DIAGNOSTIC INFO, both buttons get you to the same place.

Next push one of the TPMS messages.

When you press the message a male vioce will start talking and tell you there is a TPMS error and that it may be due to using the spare tire. LISTEN CAREFULLY, the voice will tell you which sensor is not working. I don't remember which was which, but message 32 and 36 were for the passenger front and rear.