FUBARed, need some help with rear sway bar.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FUBARed, need some help with rear sway bar.

Hi Guys.

I installed the comptech rear sway bar, along with most of you, back in 2005. Everything was fine. Recently there was some squeaking noises so I bought some Energy Suspension bushing grease (I had the new energy suspension bushings) and added a dab of grease. Things were good for a few months.

I'm not sure WHEN this happened, but today I noticed some bad-sounding thumps. I lift up the car and see this:

as you can see, the place where the bar/bushing is attached to the frame has completely sheared off of the car. I'm not sure how this happened, maybe I over tightened? Didn't use a torque wrench but I didn't exactly try very hard to over tighten.

Anyone know if this is even replacable by the dealer without some significant frame work? Anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks all, this has just been a horrible week.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:33 PM

found this over on the TSX forums. looks like using the energy suspension bushings and comptech bar put too much stress on the rear frame components.

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-tires-wheels-suspension-130/aaargh-chassis-bracket-rsb-busted-off-676363/
Old 10-01-2008, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear

yikes I just installed my comptech RSB on stock suspension... used the supplied rubber bushings and added some lithium grease. hopefully i don't run into this problem. good luck and let us know where you get it fixed.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
thats another f'ed up rear subframe due to an RSB, theres another thread on this in problems and fixes.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:34 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to hear that. But thanks for posting. I was about to buy a RSB but I think I just changed my mind.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
wow.....gonna have to crawl under and take a look.

I've got a Progress rsb at the stiff setting.....anyone hear of any problems with them or is this only happening on the Comptech version.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
A question for the users of the comptech bar.

Where the bushings mount, how much straight bar is there on each side of the mounts?

I still have my stock bar and was trying to see how that looked, but I replaced mine so soon that it didn't have any paint wear yet.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Racer

Heres my question. Are you guys, that ripping the sway bar bushings out of the rear subframe, running the stock suspension? I would think that with the bigger/ stiffer swaybar you would need to run a stiffer suspension. If not, the amount of flex that the suspension is trying to do is transfering to the mount and ripping them out of the subframe. I have heard of the mounts for the swaybar links ripping off because the suspension was to weak for a thick ass swaybar.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Hmmm. Time to turn my bar down to 22mm I think.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by dechlin
Heres my question. Are you guys, that ripping the sway bar bushings out of the rear subframe, running the stock suspension? I would think that with the bigger/ stiffer swaybar you would need to run a stiffer suspension. If not, the amount of flex that the suspension is trying to do is transfering to the mount and ripping them out of the subframe. I have heard of the mounts for the swaybar links ripping off because the suspension was to weak for a thick ass swaybar.
Exactly what I was trying to say in the other thread on this.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:05 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I have the Comptech sway bar and had a similar problem earlier this year. Turned out the rear sway bar end links needed to be replaced. Thicker stabilizer bars put more strain on them.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zeezz
Hi Guys.

I installed the comptech rear sway bar, along with most of you, back in 2005. Everything was fine. Recently there was some squeaking noises so I bought some Energy Suspension bushing grease (I had the new energy suspension bushings) and added a dab of grease. Things were good for a few months.

I'm not sure WHEN this happened, but today I noticed some bad-sounding thumps. I lift up the car and see this:

as you can see, the place where the bar/bushing is attached to the frame has completely sheared off of the car. I'm not sure how this happened, maybe I over tightened? Didn't use a torque wrench but I didn't exactly try very hard to over tighten.

Anyone know if this is even replacable by the dealer without some significant frame work? Anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks all, this has just been a horrible week.
When you installed the energy suspension bushings did the holes on the brackets line up with the mounting bracket? Mine did not line up perfectly on one side it was just a little bit off. I was able to line it up by forcing it over with my hand. It could be adding some extra stress on the mounts because of this.... I tried every possible way to see if I could get the holes to line up. I think I am probably going to move back to the rubber bushings that came with the comptech bar or modify the enenery suspension bushing bracket so the holes line up correctly.

Also the universal bushings are wider then the ones comptech sent and it sits right next to where the curve of the bar begins on both sides so there is little to no straight bar and after looking at my stock bar and where the bracket mounts there is more straight bar on both sides. So my assumption is there needs to be room for some side to side movement and after looking around the web the bracket separtion seems to be happening with people who are using the universal bushings with the comptech bar. I have the non-grease fitting bushings by the way and only have had the bar on for 3 weeks. I am no engineer and this is just my observation in hopes someone could chime in to correct me or add more information.

Last edited by xmrgoodcatx; 10-06-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:49 PM

i'm not positive if they didn't line up that well, as I did the install quite a long time ago- however I don't think it was that bad.

My options now are to get this welded up or to get a new subframe. I'm leaning towards the 2nd, and putting the stock bar back. I'm not sure how well aftermarket welds will hold up in the long run, and I'm not sure if i really want this bar anymore!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by zeezz
i'm not positive if they didn't line up that well, as I did the install quite a long time ago- however I don't think it was that bad.

My options now are to get this welded up or to get a new subframe. I'm leaning towards the 2nd, and putting the stock bar back. I'm not sure how well aftermarket welds will hold up in the long run, and I'm not sure if i really want this bar anymore!
Have them weld in a thicker plate and a couple braces and use any bar you like.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
There have been a couple TSX failures similar to this. It is not a bushing problem, its a subframe weak-point. I am working on a solution actually. We have a design for a reinforcement kit that looks pretty good.
The following users liked this post:
RavynX (03-26-2013)
Old 11-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, now I'm super interested in this thread. I dont want the same thing to happen to me.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:48 AM
v 4910shp/19,600ft-lb v

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang, I better take a look at mine now.

Heeltoe, will that reinforcement kit work with the 3G TL??
Old 11-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by kjelly
Dang, I better take a look at mine now.

Heeltoe, will that reinforcement kit work with the 3G TL??
Unknown until it can be test fitted. Anyone have a car I can borrow for a few days?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking of buying one- but not now!