Firestone Alignment: Rounded off cam bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Firestone Alignment: Rounded off cam bolt

So, I have a Firestone Unlimited Alignment and I just replaced my compliance bushings so I had decided to go in an get my alignment done.

Now, when I get there, the alignment has been done on the front end. But apparently the back adjusters have a rounded off cam bolt so the alignment could not be done. So I have been doing my research throughout the forum and I'm pretty unsure as to what my plan of action should be.

My first issue is that I am not even sure if this Firestone is being completely honest with me seeing how Turbonut said

Originally Posted by Turbonut
No camber bolts on the TL, just a camber kit:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=656

How much difference from the left rear camber?
Now he and I may be referring to two different camber bolts so I don't know.

My second issue is, if there are camber bolts, I have seen that apparently PB blaster and brute force should fix the problem. Hoping that I am able to free the rounded off bolt, I am hoping to just replace the cam bolt with a new one correct? Someone please confirm with me that this is what I should purchase and how many I should buy.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...DJUSTING_BOLT#

My third issue is deciding whether or not I am even approaching this repair even correctly at all. My mechanic told me I have to replace the bolts and lower control arms because the bolt rusts out inside the bushing and will not turn. Because of this, this is why the bolts round off. In addition, a potential problem would be bending the mounting point.

Further clarification is much appreciated and I really hope I can receive some insight. Thank you so much.

After a little more research,

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Not certain of your year, but believe these numbers are for an '04:
52388-S84-A00 Cam Plate
52387-SDA-A00 Rear Control Arm Adj. Bolt
90216-S00-010 Nut

If both sides needed x2
Hopefully these fit an 05. Sorry for the dumb question but when you say sides- do you mean rear driver and rear passenger side? Or front and rear end? Thanks!

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-05-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 09-04-2013, 04:40 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
They are called cam-bolts. Not camber bolts. The cam bolts are like a cam shaft lobe and have an offset to them. When you loosen the lock nut and turn the bolt, it shifts the lower arm mount inward or outward to change your toe setting.

Yes it is extremely common to have these bolts rust inside the metal sleeve of the bushing it's bolted through. This is always a problem with cars in salty snowy areas. I've broken the head off one of my rear arms on my Civic cause the bolt was frozen inside the bushing. My wife's Pilot cannot have the rear toe adjusted due to a frozen cam bolt as well.

The real trick is removing these frozen bolts. Depending on the arm, you can sometimes sawzall through the ends of the bushing to cut the bolt. This only destroys the bushing and not the arm. Then they can replace the bad bushing with a press. If there is not enough room, they may cut the entire arm up and replace it as an entire unit. Either way the bolt has to be replaced as well.

OH BTW: They may say they have to replace the entire arm because they do not have the ability to press bushings.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2239394

Last edited by 94eg!; 09-04-2013 at 04:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Slpr04UA6 (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
^+1
Old 09-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by 94eg!
They are called cam-bolts. Not camber bolts. The cam bolts are like a cam shaft lobe and have an offset to them. When you loosen the lock nut and turn the bolt, it shifts the lower arm mount inward or outward to change your toe setting.

Yes it is extremely common to have these bolts rust inside the metal sleeve of the bushing it's bolted through. This is always a problem with cars in salty snowy areas. I've broken the head off one of my rear arms on my Civic cause the bolt was frozen inside the bushing. My wife's Pilot cannot have the rear toe adjusted due to a frozen cam bolt as well.

The real trick is removing these frozen bolts. Depending on the arm, you can sometimes sawzall through the ends of the bushing to cut the bolt. This only destroys the bushing and not the arm. Then they can replace the bad bushing with a press. If there is not enough room, they may cut the entire arm up and replace it as an entire unit. Either way the bolt has to be replaced as well.

OH BTW: They may say they have to replace the entire arm because they do not have the ability to press bushings.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2239394

couldn't of said it better myself.