F/R Tire Pressure: Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D Snows

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:15 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F/R Tire Pressure: Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D Snows

OK it's 5 degrees out here in NH and I just installed Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D Snow Tire on my 2006 AT-Nav TL....

Question - What tire pressure should I pump the tires up to with my portable power pack (and pump) BEFORE I drive the car on our very cold mornings...? Front and Rear Tire Pressure..

Just tired of the Tire Pressure warning light and buzzer going off during this cold winter. I drive about 80 miles a day round trip...but in this weather the warning light/buzzer pretty much stays on for 75% of the drive to and from work..

Thanks,
-mike-
Old 01-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have a look in the driver-side door. My 2008 says f/r 33/32 for cold pressure.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am on my second season with these and found that 35 front and 33 rear yields better "drivability". With the 33/32 I found that the handling, ride, and braking feel was not to my liking. As with all things YMMV.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:26 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by wi_badger
I am on my second season with these and found that 35 front and 33 rear yields better "drivability". With the 33/32 I found that the handling, ride, and braking feel was not to my liking. As with all things YMMV.
Is that 35 Front and 33 Rear...the pressure when they are cold..?

After 20 or 30 miles of driving..what have you seen the pressure go up to on both front and rear tires? I assume we are talking about the Dunlop Sport 3D snow tires here..

Thanks,
-mike-
Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by boiko
OK it's 5 degrees out here in NH and I just installed Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D Snow Tire on my 2006 AT-Nav TL....

Question - What tire pressure should I pump the tires up to with my portable power pack (and pump) BEFORE I drive the car on our very cold mornings...? Front and Rear Tire Pressure..

Just tired of the Tire Pressure warning light and buzzer going off during this cold winter. I drive about 80 miles a day round trip...but in this weather the warning light/buzzer pretty much stays on for 75% of the drive to and from work..

Thanks,
-mike-
I don't understand how the buzzer is going off if you have set your pressures correctly. Make sure you have a decent tire gauge and set it to the pressures listed inside your door jam. Fill up the tires when they are cold and do not worry about how high they get after you begin driving on them. All tires heat up and will see an increase in pressure when you drive on them.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:16 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bmaczo6
I don't understand how the buzzer is going off if you have set your pressures correctly. Make sure you have a decent tire gauge and set it to the pressures listed inside your door jam. Fill up the tires when they are cold and do not worry about how high they get after you begin driving on them. All tires heat up and will see an increase in pressure when you drive on them.

Simple...the buzzer and warning light is going off because my local Acura dealer failed to inflate my new Dunlop Sport 3D snow tires to the correct pressure when they mounted them a few days ago.

Since as of Jan 1st we've received 46" of snow in New Hampshire and have had very low temps..(and I've been coming home late when it's been really cold out) I thought I would wait till this weekend to crank the tire pressure up...and in the mean time ask if any one has winter/tire pressure experience with my same new tires.

I was lucky someone does have my tire and responded with advice....
Old 01-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it is the same SIZE tire as stock, it would make little difference what brand of tire it is. The tire pressures on the door are put there for load rating reference.
Stick with those, and a good tire gauge, and you shouldn't have a problem with the TPMS. Set them when cold. They will generally rise 3 degrees within the first 5 miles driven.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:55 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
If it is the same SIZE tire as stock, it would make little difference what brand of tire it is. The tire pressures on the door are put there for load rating reference.
Stick with those, and a good tire gauge, and you shouldn't have a problem with the TPMS. Set them when cold. They will generally rise 3 degrees within the first 5 miles driven.

Yup sounds like the way to go....

I guess I just thought snow tires with their different sidewall/tread architecture might require slightly different tire pressure then the all season stock tires do.

Thanks,
-mike-
Old 01-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The 35/33 is front/rear and is when cold. For me it is based on feel. I started with the Acura recommendations on the door and personally, didn't like the way the car drove so I adjusted the pressures until I was comfortable. All tires are different and will give the car a different feel under different pressures. Also, traction, gas mileage, etc will vary with tire pressure changes.

Always start with what Acura recommends but if you are not happy with the performance adjusting things a few PSI either way will not be the end of the world.

Audi allroad owners that run Falken 512s run them as high as 41-43 psi. If they don't the tire wear is horribly uneven and they only get about 5,000 miles out of the tires. I am sure Audi didn't recommend 41 psi but for those tires on that car it is what works.

Use your head, go with your gut, and don't be too afraid of adjusting things. 1 or 2 psi can make a world of difference.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Intermediate

I live in Ontarion Canada and have a 06 Auto TL and I have 36 all round whcih works best for me becuase of the cold winter temperatures.