F*kin Potholes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
F*kin Potholes!!!

Well my rim is finally badly damaged, I hit a pot hole coming home tonight and it looks like my front right rim is shot. I don't even think it can be repaired. I am looking on Ebay right now for a replacement, but the cheapest buy it now price + shipping is $200. I really wanted to get them chromed in the near future, but now that damaged rim won't be able to be chromed. is $200 a fair price for a new factory rim? I never bought rims before.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Man that sucks! If it's a factory OEM style rim, that's not too bad. As they go for about $400 each at the dealer.

The best price I've found so far is about $1300 for a set of A-Spec wheels which is about $325 a piece.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wheel doesnt looked bent so it looks like it is fixable at a wheel repair shop
Old 04-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by whatjones911
The wheel doesnt looked bent so it looks like it is fixable at a wheel repair shop
So they should be able to fill in that gash in the second picture?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Burning Brakes

I believe so but i never had my wheels repaired so i cant be sure. I think they just sand it down and fill it in.

Can anyone that had their wheels repaired give some input?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
is it gashed or cracked? cracked, throw the rim out. it doesn't look bent, i'm guessing its still holding air? consider yourself lucky. you dont wanna see what i've done to rims.

# of rim repair attempts: 10-12
# actually repairable: 4
Old 04-19-2006, 12:13 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Do you notice any vibration when you are driving? Is the tire still holding air?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Safety Car

I don't think its cracked or anything, the second picture is a gash, but it doesn't seem to be causing any air loss. This happened about 15 miles from my home and while driving I didn't notice any vibration, I was scared I was going to lose air on my way home. I went to look at it again, and it still seems like its holding its air. Hopefully a rim repair shop can fix it, I would hate to have to buy another rim if I don't have to.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:27 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
unless you are worried about the looks i dont think you need to be concerned about replacing the wheel.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Instructor

my best friend's 16 year old sister had her wheel on her brand new, Audi TT repaired.......

it looks UNBELIEVEABLE!!!

It looks like a brand new wheel! polished up and everything! only $70 dollars. I WOULD HIGHLY recommend having it repaired. ITS SO WORTH IT!
Old 04-19-2006, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Here's a stupid question, but i honestly don't know.

The Pot Hole is the responsibility of the jurisdiction the street is maintained by. Would it be possible to attempt to have that municipality or department, PAY for the damages?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:45 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by clausda0

The Pot Hole is the responsibility of the jurisdiction the street is maintained by. Would it be possible to attempt to have that municipality or department, PAY for the damages?
I thought the same thing. But my dad had a similar incident happen with a pot hole or maybe it was a manhole cover not put back. But when he hit it, his car shut off, he had over $600 in damages to his engine I think. He tried to get the city to pay for it, but they denied him because of some BS about the hole was there to long or somethin, i dunno, he appealed the decision, but never heard back from them. I highly doubt the city would pay for my rim.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:16 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
my wife had a simlar this with a pot hole well two back to back (rim bent) the city wouldnt do it because they said in order for them to be liable someone has to report it to them first (give them a chance to fix it) B.S.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ruined one of my stock rims (actually just curb rash, but I couldn't deal with it) -- Here is what I did:

Acura of Las Vegas had a set of Chrome(not chrome-look) OEM style wheels for $700 shipped (on Ebay). I called and got a whole new set shipped to me, then sold each of my remaining three perfect stock wheels on ebay seperately for $150-$200. Ended up costing me around $200 net for a set of chrome wheels (I guess that depends on how you feel about chrome though).
Old 04-19-2006, 07:22 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Yo, look in the black market forum here on Acurazine... there are always people onhere selling thier stock rims pretty cheap.... alot cheaper than E-Bay

heres a link to the BM
https://acurazine.com/forums/non-automotive-motorcycle-sales-9/
Old 04-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Racer

As long as that rim is not cracked or bent on the hub, it is repairable.
Regarding getting the city to pay for it, it can be pretty iffy without a fight. They will feed you all kinds of B.S. about how they are not responsible.
My friend had a lowered Integra that ran over those metal plates they put down on the road sometimes and it ripped out part of his suspension. It cost him $2000 to fix it. He told the city to pay for it and they said the damage is due to his car being lowered. He then sued the city and showed his car is 1/4" above the legal limit. To make a long story short, he received a check for $2000 from the city.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdb8805
Acura of Las Vegas had a set of Chrome(not chrome-look) OEM style wheels for $700 shipped (on Ebay). I called and got a whole new set shipped to me, then sold each of my remaining three perfect stock wheels on ebay seperately for $150-$200. Ended up costing me around $200 net for a set of chrome wheels (I guess that depends on how you feel about chrome though).
Was that a one-time auction? I can't seem to find them available on eBay now but I am interested in doing exactly what you did. Can you let me know if the offer is still available and if you are happy with the wheels that you received? Thanks!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:17 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
same thing about a week ago...hit pothole....exploded tire and bent rim (A-Spec Chrome and Michelin).....sux.....but...what can you say.....shit happens. replaced all four with new chrome aspecs and yokos.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Racer

Hey I just had the same thing happen in the ATL area. It shook the hell out of my car when it slammed and the CD cut completly off. My rim did not crack but flat spotted and let the air leak out of the tire a few days later. Dekalb county told me to take a hike about the hole in the road. I had Metro wheels on S Cobb Drive fix it for about $ 160. I had a TSW chrome wheel, not factory. They could fix your wheel but, if I could have gotten a new wheel for $200 I would have gotten the New wheel instead.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Instructor

I have had worse damage. Check with the Wheel Wizard over on Peachtree Industrial Blvd, just inside of 285 maybe a mile in on the right, they did a great job on my wheels in the past. Mine were so bad you would have thought they were either oval or egg shaped have a couple of years of driving around the Atlanta area.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:24 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Stevie B
I have had worse damage. Check with the Wheel Wizard over on Peachtree Industrial Blvd, just inside of 285 maybe a mile in on the right, they did a great job on my wheels in the past. Mine were so bad you would have thought they were either oval or egg shaped have a couple of years of driving around the Atlanta area.
Yeah I'm going to give them a call tommorow (well later on today). I have trying to set an appointment with Alloy Whell Repair all day, but they never call people back, and don't seem to want any business. If I don't hear from them tommorow morning, I'm taking my business elsewhere. I saw Wheel Wizard on the net before I went home for the day, and I was about to ask you guys if they were any good.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clausda0

It is worth a try. I hit a pothole at night going through an intersection and it blew out the front tire (fortunately no rim damage). I replaced both front tires, had alignment done and contacted city of Durham the next day. Apparently, the pot hole had been reported multiple times over a several week period and they advised me to submit a claim. Claim took all of 5 minutes to process. I had a check for 1 tire and the alignment within 2 weeks.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 93SHOcar
It is worth a try. I hit a pothole at night going through an intersection and it blew out the front tire (fortunately no rim damage). I replaced both front tires, had alignment done and contacted city of Durham the next day. Apparently, the pot hole had been reported multiple times over a several week period and they advised me to submit a claim. Claim took all of 5 minutes to process. I had a check for 1 tire and the alignment within 2 weeks.

Give it a shot. My wife hit a pot hole that bent the rim of our old civic damaged the axel. We submitted the claim to the city and we received a check (after a lot of monthes) for a portion of the repair. It didn't cover the entire bill, but I thought better some then none. Sorry I don't remember all the specifics because it was a couple of years ago.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:26 PM
4th Gear

Rock hit

I had a friend hit a rock the size of a grapefruit in his '04 a couple of years ago

Never found the missing piece

Ouch!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
^^^ damn that is crazy!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Safety Car

Update!!

Well I finally got in touch with Alloy Wheel Repair yesterday, and this morning I took my car over to an Infiniti dealer near my job. The guy told me up front that the gash was pretty bad and some of the metal was gone. He said the scrapes were no problem, but he would do the best he could with the deep gash. Well when I got the car back, I must say that I was VERY impresed. I personally can't even tell where the gash was. I'm sure if I am right up on the wheel, I might be able to see where it was repaired, but even being a foot away I can't tell at all. They do excellent work. He said they usually charge $125 per wheel, but he only charged me $100. Looks like I saved $100 bucks in all by not getting another wheel all together Thanks for all your suggestions, I was all set to get a new wheel because I thought there was no way it could be fixed. Guess I was wrong!