Eibach -vs- A-Spec????

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Eibach -vs- A-Spec????

I am wondering which would be a better install for me?? I live in Ohio and the roads suck!! I don't want to sacrifice too much of the ride quality and would like a subtle drop (1" or so??). Anyone want to put their in??? Thanks!! Oh... and for the money???
Old 12-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I have been pondering the same question. The pluses of the aspec is that it is a whole spring/shock unit that has been designed by the engineers at honda. The likelihood is nil you will have fitment problems which can lead to noises etc. Acura says the drop is one inche, but everyone says it's like 3/4 of an inche ( big difference). The eibach is also a inche. My gut feeling is the eibach with a good shock will give you better handling. But I can't see how the difference will be that great, being the same drop. I lean towards the aspec because it was made by honda for the TL. Less potential headaches
Old 12-05-2009, 06:34 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Eibach. Changing out the springs is changing out springs. It doesn't matter, but I'd go with Eibach.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:54 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
eibach... 200 vs 600... eibach all the way... only drawback is that the rear looks like it's sagging but it really isn't that is jsut the way the sheetmetal was cut
Old 12-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant tell you about the a-spec but i have the eibachs. I dont think my ride quality was affected much at all. Of course i had my shocks blow soon after but that might have been coming anyway. i hae the tokico blues and the eibachs and ride feels good. I think i got more then an inch drop though but its not too low and just enough to lose the wheel gap. (hardly ever scrap)
Old 12-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
~1/2" drop difference between the 2 in favour of the Eibach...plus it's a progressive rate spring, becomes firmer as it compresses. The outcome being that it retains OEM ride up until the point where you really get into aggressive cornering...then the rate stiffens and body roll lessens...creates a flatter transistion between turns.
Personally, I've always been a big fan of Eibach, but both are great choices for a moderate drop aimed more at suspension performance rather than just slamming it with no real performance gain...and the ride worsens exponentially.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I would go aspec springs if you can find just the springs.

I don't like the super progressive springs that some offer for the TL. IMO, they're a compromise, too soft for good dynamics, the car takes too long to take a set in the corner. Then once it rolls it gets stiffer but again, you're already leaning. It makes the car feel sloppier. If done right, they're not bad.

I don't like the whole lower it and keep the same ride quality. It NEEDS to be stiffer from the start if it's lower.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I would go aspec springs if you can find just the springs.

I don't like the super progressive springs that some offer for the TL. IMO, they're a compromise, too soft for good dynamics, the car takes too long to take a set in the corner. Then once it rolls it gets stiffer but again, you're already leaning. It makes the car feel sloppier. If done right, they're not bad.

I don't like the whole lower it and keep the same ride quality. It NEEDS to be stiffer from the start if it's lower.
Drive on broken/heaved pavement like we have here up north and you'll appreciate the dual role of a progressive spring.
Unless you're driving on glass like road surfaces, like you have in the southern states; a progressive spring is a much better choice, IMO.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
Drive on broken/heaved pavement like we have here up north and you'll appreciate the dual role of a progressive spring.
Unless you're driving on glass like road surfaces, like you have in the southern states; a progressive spring is a much better choice, IMO.
I hear you. I get pissed everytime I don't see a pothole or hit a large bump.

I agree that progressive has it's place. I just don't like how many of the TL specific springs are too soft at first when looking at it from a performance point of view. It also may be my goals, I want something that takes a set quickly. I've found that I can back off the damping of the shocks slightly with non progressive springs all else being equal and have the car take a set just as quickly. Of course some of this is nitpicking, the difference would only be noticeable at the track.