Drive comparison between non-Aspec & Aspec

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 02:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive comparison between non-Aspec & Aspec

Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing an 04 or 05 TL and would like to have somebody describe their actual driving experiences with a TL non-Aspec and Aspec models. I don't need to know about prices or looks, just real world driving impressions from people that have driven both versions.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:24 AM
VTEC HoooA

I have asked this question as well, and never had any responses. If Acura is really interested in selling this 5000.00 option they would make a demo car available to test drive at the dealerships.

I for one and opting out unless I can drive one before purchase (highly unlikely).

I am waiting for someone to make aftermarket shocks and will pick them up along with the springs.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Drives in Harmony!

For a 5 grand option Acura should bring a demo car up to your driveway and have you test drive it! :-)
Old 03-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Advanced

I have it on my car and there is no comparison. I had the car without ASPEC for a while and then with comptech springs only. With nothing the car was bouncy. With the comptechs it was stiff and didn't take bumps but rode them out. The ASPEC is OH MY G-D the front suspensin with shocks and struts is 20% softer than original. It is pure butter like driving an s500 just eats up the road. The back is 40% stiffer which gives that amazing handling. The car is crazy now. Off the sport shift it flies and grips the road like you wouldn't beleave. The brake pads improve braking quite well to. The steering wheel is nice if that is what you like. I paid 3 installed for mine. But after having it for three weeks I would have paid anything. There is just nothing life factory tuned sport suspension. no company can match how great the car is with the Kit form Acura.

At least in my opinion anyway. Love the shit out of my car now.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Advanced

Hey I drive the 04 TL A-Spec, and i believe it drives better. the handling is better, the one inch drop helps tighten the suspension, they changed the brakes. and the looks is much better, not to forget the 18 inch rims , yokohoma tires. Its good, kinda pricey, but if you can get a better price from a body shop or auto tuning shop then go for that. Up to you. here is a link to my car http://members.cardomain.com/zero523
Old 03-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Cruisin'

Sweet. that is the kind of review I was looking for.
I need A-SPEC!!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Cruisin'

Sweet. that is the kind of review I was looking for.
I need A-SPEC!!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Zero523
Hey I drive the 04 TL A-Spec, and i believe it drives better. the handling is better, the one inch drop helps tighten the suspension, they changed the brakes. and the looks is much better, not to forget the 18 inch rims , yokohoma tires. Its good, kinda pricey, but if you can get a better price from a body shop or auto tuning shop then go for that. Up to you. here is a link to my car http://members.cardomain.com/zero523
Wow, the Acura 18's look really, really good on a NBP TL! When it's time for tires I might have to get a set! I keep hearing good things about the A-spec ride - improved handling without harshness. I bought my car before I knew about the A-spec kit, and it came with the underbody kit installed. Buying the A-spec kit now would be painful because I don't need half of it. I wish Acura would part out the suspension components. As aftermarket kits start to appear I'll consider them.

How is the ground clearance with the A-spec kit? That is a concern I have with changing the TL suspension - I don't want to have to worry about speedbumps or getting my car in the driveway. Probably more of a worry with aftermarket kits than with the Acura package.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:58 PM
10th Gear

Thanks everybody for the opinions...

This is the first real driving information I've ever seen about an Aspec TL, thanks. I'd like to go with the factory Aspec kit and I do think the price is worth it. I currently own a mildly modified Honda Prelude Sh now, and while the mods are great, I'd like something that carries the factory warranty and is guaranteed to work 100%. If anybody else has further Aspec driving impressions I'd love to hear them...
Old 03-25-2005, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Aegir
Wow, the Acura 18's look really, really good on a NBP TL! When it's time for tires I might have to get a set! I keep hearing good things about the A-spec ride - improved handling without harshness. I bought my car before I knew about the A-spec kit, and it came with the underbody kit installed. Buying the A-spec kit now would be painful because I don't need half of it. I wish Acura would part out the suspension components. As aftermarket kits start to appear I'll consider them.

How is the ground clearance with the A-spec kit? That is a concern I have with changing the TL suspension - I don't want to have to worry about speedbumps or getting my car in the driveway. Probably more of a worry with aftermarket kits than with the Acura package.
You don't have to buy the whole kit now - chk e-bay for dealers breaking up sets.
I had the dealer install the bod-kit and I just added A Spec wheels with Mich PS2's on my '05 Anthracite...the cornering improved dramatically over the stock set.
Considering the susp kit but am concerned it may be too rough a ride...posts here are swaying me to go for it.

Oh yeah, if you go to the 18's w/ 235/40's w/out the susp kit you'll see more room in the wells - the wheels are 1" larger but the tires (PS2's anyway) are over 2" shorter= you lose an inch or so...another reason I'm close to buying the susp kit
Old 03-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Advanced

Here's your answer - it doesn't get any better than this:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...er/index1.html
Old 03-26-2005, 02:48 AM
Intermediate

Consider the copmtech rear sway bar in addition to the aspec suspension kit.

I wrote this before:
I just had the A-Spec body kit, A-Spec suspension, and the Comptech swaybar installed on my 04 auto TL. The stock ride to me was plush and comfortable, but this is something my dad would like. I personally did not like the excessive understeer, the body roll, or the excessive wheel well gap.
After the mods went on, the ride is good. The understeer is muted. Not quite as neutral as my 04 BMW 330i ZHP, but still good. I'm not bashing the TL or bragging about my BMW, so please dont nail me to the wall. I just honestly think my BMW 330i ZHP handles better. The BMW has, I think, perfect turn in and can power through some hairy turns while the TL's turn in still has a hint of understeer and does not like to be pushed in the corners. I will say comparing the two is unfair since the TL is a larger car and FWD, but I thought some of you out there would like to read this since I just happen to own the two cars.
Oh, the plush and comfortable is also muted, I guess you can't have everything. The stance is lower, more in the rear than in the front, and so I think it looks better.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:57 AM
Advanced

Holy Aspec

I Have An '04 Nbp 6mt That I Drove For 8k W/ Stock Suspension Setup- Nice. Two Days Ago Installed The A Spec Suspension Only. Wow What A Difference. I Love It. Car Handles Like It's On Rails. Ride Is A Little Stiff, Girlfriend Noticed Right Away But Definantly Tolerable. Car Also Looks Just That Much Meaner Now. I, Like Many On This Forum Highly Recommend It. Check Ebay, Dealers Parting Out The Kit Now. Paid $600 For Mine And Picked It Up Cuz Dealer Happened To Be 20 Minutes Away. Do It.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Intermediate

Holy Aspec 2

I did the same thing. I had the stock suspension for 18K miles and recently had the a-spec suspension put on. I noticed the difference instantly. You get a more connected feel to the road, sharper turn-in, and flatter cornering.

Here is an ebay link to the dealership I bought my from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

I paid $760 and they had it to me in about 3 business days. Installed for $360. I already have the brembo brakes and HPTs with the 6 MT and I like the stock 17 wheels. So for $1120 I was able to get the handling of the a-spec package.

It realy does change the character of the car. I would recommend it!
Old 03-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by dwhitten
I did the same thing. I had the stock suspension for 18K miles and recently had the a-spec suspension put on. I noticed the difference instantly. You get a more connected feel to the road, sharper turn-in, and flatter cornering.

I paid $760 and they had it to me in about 3 business days. Installed for $360. I already have the brembo brakes and HPTs with the 6 MT and I like the stock 17 wheels. So for $1120 I was able to get the handling of the a-spec package.

I'm thinking about doing this with my '04 6MT. How much "rougher" is the ride? I know the handling improves, but I'm not sure if I'd be happer with the change in the smooth ride. Also, who did your installation? Dealer or another shop? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:08 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Don't forget to shop around, folks. Dealers will often cut you deals if you can find better pricing on the A-Spec suspension. I got mine for $600 from Falconi Acura. (Scott @ Falconi should honor this pricing - send me a PM if you have any questions). Don't forget to factor in shipping charges. Some dealers will allow you to use your own FedEx, UPS or DHL account, so keep that in mind when comparison shopping.

I'm getting mine installed later today.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
What a blast from the past. Please click on "rvw" next to the A-spec in my signature below to read an extensive review of the A-Spec experience. I still love it almost a year later. Wheeeee!

P.S. I'm also moving this to the "Suspension" forum.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dwhitten

DO U THINK THAAT WOULD WORK ON A 2ND GEN I GOT A 02 CL TYPE -S

WILL THE A-SPEC WORK ON IT OR FIT. I HAVE BEEN THINKING OF GETTING A TEIN SS WITH THE EBDC BUT THIS SEEMS TO BE CHEAPER I DO NOT KNOW IF THERE IS ANY COMPARISION BUT I HAD LIKE SOME OPINIONS.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Intermediate

Ride Quality

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
I'm thinking about doing this with my '04 6MT. How much "rougher" is the ride? I know the handling improves, but I'm not sure if I'd be happer with the change in the smooth ride. Also, who did your installation? Dealer or another shop? Thanks.
It is noticeably firmer. What use to be muted thud is now a short jolt, and small imprefections in the road that you would not have felt at all before now ripple up from the wheels (if that description helps any). It is not bad and, in my opinion, well worth it for the improved handling. Check out neuronbob's post/review below. I found it very helpful in making my decision.

I had my local Acura deal do the installation.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by poisx7

WILL THE A-SPEC WORK ON IT OR FIT. I HAVE BEEN THINKING OF GETTING A TEIN SS WITH THE EBDC BUT THIS SEEMS TO BE CHEAPER I DO NOT KNOW IF THERE IS ANY COMPARISION BUT I HAD LIKE SOME OPINIONS.
Sorry, I do not know much about the 2nd gen TLs.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Originally Posted by poisx7

The 3G TL's suspension is different. I don't think the A-Spec, which is specifically designed for the 3G TL, would be a good fit without extensive modification.

You may need to post in the CL section to see whether someone's actually done this, there are a lot of modders over there.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:36 PM
USC YQUE

Originally Posted by Zero523
Saw a A-Spec on the freeway. Looks nice. Too bad I could not drive an A-Spec when I was searching for an automobile. I did not like the handling and drive of the stock TL (it felt numb and floaty).
Old 04-12-2005, 10:41 PM
USC YQUE

Originally Posted by dtakai
Consider the copmtech rear sway bar in addition to the aspec suspension kit.

I wrote this before:
I just had the A-Spec body kit, A-Spec suspension, and the Comptech swaybar installed on my 04 auto TL. The stock ride to me was plush and comfortable, but this is something my dad would like. I personally did not like the excessive understeer, the body roll, or the excessive wheel well gap.
After the mods went on, the ride is good. The understeer is muted. Not quite as neutral as my 04 BMW 330i ZHP, but still good. I'm not bashing the TL or bragging about my BMW, so please dont nail me to the wall. I just honestly think my BMW 330i ZHP handles better. The BMW has, I think, perfect turn in and can power through some hairy turns while the TL's turn in still has a hint of understeer and does not like to be pushed in the corners. I will say comparing the two is unfair since the TL is a larger car and FWD, but I thought some of you out there would like to read this since I just happen to own the two cars.
Oh, the plush and comfortable is also muted, I guess you can't have everything. The stance is lower, more in the rear than in the front, and so I think it looks better.
Very nice write-up. This is the main reason I also chose my 2004 330i with the ZHP option. Even a stock 330i does not compare to the handling and drive of my ZHP.

OH! And don't get me started on the driving the ZHP through sharp turns .