Does 2008 base TL ride lower than Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Kro
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Does 2008 base TL ride lower than Type S?

On my way to work today I was stopped next to base '08 and I swear it rides lower (especially in the front) than my '08 Type S. I had thought maybe I had noticed this before, but today I got such a good long look I am almost sure of it. I find this very annoying, as my car cost more yet I would need to invest in a suspension to achieve the same look. My suspension is probably better, but his looks tighter. Anyone know for sure? Thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
maybe he was more fat then you?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by Kro
On my way to work today I was stopped next to base '08 and I swear it rides lower (especially in the front) than my '08 Type S. I had thought maybe I had noticed this before, but today I got such a good long look I am almost sure of it. I find this very annoying, as my car cost more yet I would need to invest in a suspension to achieve the same look. My suspension is probably better, but his looks tighter. Anyone know for sure? Thanks
LOL! This is the reason I don't like the majority of TYPE-S owners. You are so full of yourselves. "my car cost more" "my suspension is better". First off, cost doesn't mean shit. How much does a stock type-s suspension cost? How much does a Koni/Eibach setup cost? Bet the stock costs more, does that mean it's better? Hell no. For all you know this guy put a suspension on his base vehicle that cost less then yours and is now, quite simply, "better".

This funny enough is one of the reasons I'm glad I drive a modified base. Because all the type-s owners can suck a big one when my cheaper yet better car beats them in every way minus the nice headlights and chrome grille LOL.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
I noticed the same thing at the dealership when I first picked up my 04 TL Aspec...I thought the newer base models looked like they had a better stance. What I think happens is that since the back isn't as low as a type S the front points down more and looks lower.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Maharajamd
LOL! This is the reason I don't like the majority of TYPE-S owners. You are so full of yourselves. "my car cost more" "my suspension is better". First off, cost doesn't mean shit. How much does a stock type-s suspension cost? How much does a Koni/Eibach setup cost? Bet the stock costs more, does that mean it's better? Hell no. For all you know this guy put a suspension on his base vehicle that cost less then yours and is now, quite simply, "better".

This funny enough is one of the reasons I'm glad I drive a modified base. Because all the type-s owners can suck a big one when my cheaper yet better car beats them in every way minus the nice headlights and chrome grille LOL.
I agree but we dont have to hate
Originally Posted by rockstar143
I noticed the same thing at the dealership when I first picked up my 04 TL Aspec...I thought the newer base models looked like they had a better stance. What I think happens is that since the back isn't as low as a type S the front points down more and looks lower.
I notice the same thing on the high way
Old 04-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Kro
Pro

Holy sh!t, dude....chill out. My point was if I'm paying more money, I would like better stuff. Even if its just aesthetically "better." And perhaps I should include that this guy was about 50yrs old, looked like a huge nerd, had his even older looking wife with him, and hadn't the slightest other mods in any other way. I'm willing to lay down everything I have that he didnt put a suspension on his car. And it was just a question, you fcking dbag. Ahem, sorry. That last part just slipped out.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Kro
Pro

Good idea, but I dont think so. I have a good eye for measurements and such, and even while completely stopped, he had no more than a 2 finger gap at the most. Mine is 3 fingers in the front. Then I thought maybe his car has settled more than mine, but it was an '08 base, so thats not likely.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Kro
Pro

Anyone else besides Majarajamd wishing to rip on me go ahead. I dont pretend to be a badass know-it-all car guy. I just like my TL thats all.

Majara, you are awesome btw. Thats so cool how you beat type S TL's and you have a base model. I'm going to search wikipedia now to learn more about you and your inspiring story.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Race Director

Sorry I had a bit of a rant there. I just hear that type of crap every damn day and it gets old. I hear the same type of crap from PC users, as I use Macs.

So forgive me for going off, just a bit of backed up aggression there
Old 04-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Kro
Pro

Sorry...last comment before returning to work....would anyone even disagree that the type S suspension is better than the base? It was my understanding that is one of the upgrades. My comment was meant matter-of-fact....not condescending. Ok, now to wikipedia.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:15 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The Type-S suspension is setup to be more aggressive/performance oriented, compared to the base TL suspension.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:16 PM
....just dancing in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry I had a bit of a rant there. I just hear that type of crap every damn day and it gets old. I hear the same type of crap from PC users, as I use Macs.

So forgive me for going off, just a bit of backed up aggression there
......freedom of speech, or just ones opinion
Old 04-22-2009, 01:18 PM

Also, a bubblier tire (like a 17") would give the illusion of less finger gap. I'm telling you...the back being a bit lower on the type S, essentially pointing the nose up a bit AND lower profile tires could end up with an extra finger. I'm sure the base won't handle as well as yours.

I can tell you all this because I TOILED over this in my own car with the supposedly LOWER Aspec suspension. Couldn't figure out why bone stock other TL's looked more aggressive and had a better stance. Either way, I bit the bullet and went with Tein SS's so I can get it how i LOVE it and NO REGRETS HERE!

EDIT:

Also, color of car make the gap much more apparent...since you have a white car the difference between that and the black in the wheel well and the tire itself are alot more obvious than on a black car. Trust me...the PERFECT drop has been my goal on my last 4 cars.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Race Director

No no, don't get me wrong, the type-s suspension is an upgrade over base, slightly lower, slightly more stiff. No question there.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 PM

I think that's what he's taken issue with, the fact that it doesn't LOOK lower than the base.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Kro
Pro

I think that's what he's taken issue with, the fact that it doesn't LOOK lower than the base.

Yes, that is correct. Strictly talking appearance here. Next time I see one parked (with no one in it) I'm gonna give her the ol' finger test. Sounds dirty.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kro
yes, that is correct. Strictly talking appearance here. Next time i see one parked (with no one in it) i'm gonna give her the ol' finger test. sounds dirty.
lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Needs wheels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kro
Yes, that is correct. Strictly talking appearance here. Next time I see one parked (with no one in it) I'm gonna give her the ol' finger test. Sounds dirty.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Nismo TL yo!

My stock 05 base is about 3 fingers, but wasnt the base suspension revised in 07? Or so I've heard...
Old 04-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow....try decaf.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Kro
Pro

Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
My stock 05 base is about 3 fingers, but wasnt the base suspension revised in 07? Or so I've heard...
All I know is the every time I see a base 08 on the road I think the ride height looks perfect. And today upon close (stopped) examination I became convinced its dif than my car. I know thats not low enough for many people on this site but I like the look of SOME gap. I think 2 fingers is perfect. My car is 2 in back and 3 in front. And that bugs me quite a bit but I dont know about spending a G to drop 1 finger in the front. I dont want to just use springs. But maybe for the small amount of drop I desire just springs for the front are not a bad idea. Soooo anyone selling 2 springs? LOL
Old 04-22-2009, 03:22 PM
My baby's ride...

OP...did you actually go to the other car and insert how many fingers you can fit in between the wheelwell? Your mind is most likely playing tricks on you since you paid more for your car and your car is not as good looking. Deep inside, you're regretting your purchase because you got those ugly honeycomb wheels, don't have the red and white tail lights, don't have the rear red side markers, the aspec kit is not as good looking for the type-s and so on.

Or the car you saw was sagging due to the 2 fat people in the front seat.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Kro
Pro

Originally Posted by luckyAKAhappy
OP...did you actually go to the other car and insert how many fingers you can fit in between the wheelwell? Your mind is most likely playing tricks on you since you paid more for your car and your car is not as good looking. Deep inside, you're regretting your purchase because you got those ugly honeycomb wheels, don't have the red and white tail lights, don't have the rear red side markers, the aspec kit is not as good looking for the type-s and so on.

Or the car you saw was sagging due to the 2 fat people in the front seat.

LOL. The woman was kinda fat I think. I will find out if its my eyes or not. I def do not have any buyers remorse for type S tho. I dont love the wheels on EITHER car, I just ordered some 19" hiro's last week...not coming in til June tho....Axis temp out of stock of hypersilver? And I prefer my taillights over the base. Base are nice too tho. I agree with you about the aspec kit, but I wouldn't put that on my car anyway.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Race Director

Listen people, I apologized, don't keep dragging it on.

I merely said my base will beat your type-s on the fact that if I took the extra 10K I saved on a base and "spent" the money you did, yes, I would undoubtedly beat you.

I don't start threads with "my car cost more" or "its peforms better but his looks better and it annoys me". It would be "so listen, saw a base tl the other day and it sat lower then my type-s. Should or should not my type-s be lower then the base?".....All I'm sayin.

PS. This debate goes on and on and on and on.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Race Director

Oh, and to actually answer the question. I'd say it's all about the sidewall. He probably had non-stock tires and it changes the way the wheel gaps look.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Kro
Pro

I am never starting another thread ever. I know what you are all thinking...."thank you." Its been fun tho. Back to my ninja mode. = )
Old 04-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I merely said my base will beat your type-s on the fact that if I took the extra 10K I saved on a base and "spent" the money you did, yes, I would undoubtedly beat you.
Not to belabour the point but actually, what you said was...
Because all the type-s owners can suck a big one when my cheaper yet better car beats them in every way minus the nice headlights and chrome grille LOL.
Which is a tad more obnoxious that what you more politely stated above. Clearly a case of "Think before you post."

Play on.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:54 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't start threads with "my car cost more" or "its peforms better but his looks better and it annoys me". It would be "so listen, saw a base tl the other day and it sat lower then my type-s. Should or should not my type-s be lower then the base?".....All I'm sayin.

Ummmm, I don't know where you got your numbers from but a Type-S was only $2K more than a base navi...
Old 04-22-2009, 07:05 PM
JAPAN

i think he's just trying to justify his purchase of a base model over a type-S...lol
Old 04-22-2009, 08:07 PM
6th Gear

Just because his car sat lower doesnt mean it was better. maybe he had cheap suspension parts to get that look? who knows.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:08 PM
6th Gear

maybe she had lower profile tires... i got low profile on my stock rims, base 04 w/ nav, car looks lower
Old 04-22-2009, 09:41 PM
'08 Type S KBP

Damn Type S owners are out of control...lol.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Burning Brakes

type s is sexier stock but comeon whos stock here
Old 04-23-2009, 09:10 AM
08 TL Navi NBP - 08 MDX

I'm curious then. If the 07-08 rides almost an inch lower than the 04-06's, and the aspec kit lowers the 04-06's by almost an inch, would the aspec kit then be an almost negligible change for a 07-08 base navi?

I want a stiffer setup, but want to remain at stock height. The other option may be to get a TL-S takeoff, which I'm surprised isn't talked about much.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
Ummmm, I don't know where you got your numbers from but a Type-S was only $2K more than a base navi...
Which got eaten by buying the Mac.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:03 PM
My baby's ride...

Originally Posted by Kro
LOL. The woman was kinda fat I think. I will find out if its my eyes or not. I def do not have any buyers remorse for type S tho. I dont love the wheels on EITHER car, I just ordered some 19" hiro's last week...not coming in til June tho....Axis temp out of stock of hypersilver? And I prefer my taillights over the base. Base are nice too tho. I agree with you about the aspec kit, but I wouldn't put that on my car anyway.
Nice pickup. I would love those wheels. I'll take your ugly honeycomb wheels off your hands when you get the Hiro's.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:35 PM

if there were 2 people in the car, it may have caused the look. I've watched as passengers get in my car and it's a half in drop for each one!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:44 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
The Type-S suspension is setup to be more aggressive/performance oriented, compared to the base TL suspension.
Especially in the '07/'08. The '07/'08 base softened up the suspension quite a bit.

I wonder if the softer springs let the car settle a little bit more?

I know according to specs, ground clearance is the same, so it's got to be how the body sits on suspension.

Oops, almost forgot: {Insert Type-S FTW comment here}

:wink:
Old 04-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Photographer

this statement sounds so immature. also you spend 10K too much then...

Originally Posted by TypeSblkura
i think he's just trying to justify his purchase of a base model over a type-S...lol
this is true.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Kro
Pro

Originally Posted by luckyAKAhappy
Nice pickup. I would love those wheels. I'll take your ugly honeycomb wheels off your hands when you get the Hiro's.

I appreciate the offer but I need the stockies for Chicago winters. I plan on keeping my TL for about 8 yrs so I gotz to keep my rims all pretty that whole time. Can't wait til June!

Quick Reply: Does 2008 base TL ride lower than Type S?