Delray Acura Sent Me Wrong A-Spec Color Rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delray Acura Sent Me Wrong A-Spec Color Rims

So I ordered a set of A-Spec rims from Delray Acura (acuraoemparts.com) and was looking specifically for the Gunmetal finish A-Spec rims. There's been so much confusion about which years/rims have the Gunmetal finish so I ended up asking Delray Acura about that before I placed the order. They told me that they had a 2005 set of A-Spec Gunmetal finish rims that would fit my car even though I had an 06. They also told me I could transfer the TPMS sensors over and still use the 05 rims. They even gave me an amazing price (so I thought) for a set of Gunmetal rims. I placed the order and even called them back multiple times after that just to make sure that the rims were in fact going to be Gunmetal finish rims. Each time they said that they were.

I got the rims and had the tires and rims mounted and put them on my car. I found out a little afterwards that my rims actually got scratched at the place I got them mounted so I decided to put some touch-up paint on the rims. When I got the touch-up paint found from a post on this forum, I saw that the color was much darker than the rims I had. Apparently, the rims I was sent were the Silver Sparkle finish and not the Gunmetal. I found out these rims are not only cheaper but I was also given the 05's and not the 06's. Basically, I was ripped off not only on the price but also on the rims itself

Can someone confirm from these pictures of my car that the rims are in fact the Silver Sparkle finish and not the Gunmetal?

Don't ever trust what dealers tell you about the A-Spec rim finishes!! I'm going to call a manager at Delray Acura tomorrow and tell them what happened. It sucks though because even if I get a new set of rims, I'll have to dish out more money to get my new rims mounted and balanced again.

Terrible!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:50 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say those are Sparkle Silver. If you look a PPLAPW's car below you will notice the difference color which is quite noticeable:

Old 06-13-2006, 08:31 PM
05' WDP A-SPEC

either way, somebody needs to put the chrome look on your black rides. i seen a black beamer yesterday with some chromies that looked good as hell!
Old 06-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Pro

JPTL-S,

Dang you're right! The color difference is ridiculously clear. Thanks for posting the picture!

I was wondering why the price of the rims I ordered were so cheap. Now I know!

I actually just called Delray Acura and they said they would rectify the situation by giving me a discounted cost of the new rims and paying for shipping both ways to send me my new rims and to ship my old ones back.

Overall it's still pretty annoying though because I need to dish out some more money to get the new rims/tires mounted and balanced again

Thanks for the help nonetheless!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:51 AM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
JPTL-S,

Dang you're right! The color difference is ridiculously clear. Thanks for posting the picture!

I was wondering why the price of the rims I ordered were so cheap. Now I know!

I actually just called Delray Acura and they said they would rectify the situation by giving me a discounted cost of the new rims and paying for shipping both ways to send me my new rims and to ship my old ones back.

Overall it's still pretty annoying though because I need to dish out some more money to get the new rims/tires mounted and balanced again

Thanks for the help nonetheless!
Well at least they're willing to fess up to their mistake and make things right. I know you must feel quite disappointed right now, but I think once you get this straightened out you'll be more than happy with your decision. Just out of curiosity, did you ask to see if they will reimburse you for the mounting and balancing costs you shelled out? IMO it wouldn't hurt to ask since it was their fault that they sent you the wrong wheels to begin with.

BTW just as an FYI, we have a local meet coming up June 24th, try to make it out if you can. Details for the meet / BBQ can be found here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-clubs-meets-15/1st-annual-dc-metro-acurazine-bbq-june-24-a-338870/
Old 06-14-2006, 10:54 AM
321 whp SAE

not completely clear it's all about the lighting.. go by model #'s
Old 06-14-2006, 11:01 AM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by JPTL-S

BTW just as an FYI, we have a local meet coming up June 24th, try to make it out if you can. Details for the meet / BBQ can be found here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338870
Disregard this post, I just realized that you can't make it from your response later on in the same thread
Old 06-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Pro

Disregard this post, I just realized that you can't make it from your response later on in the same thread
hahaha.....yeh, I wanted to make it but that day's not going to work for me. I'll definitely be there at the next one though.

And oh yeh, it completely slipped my mind to ask for a credit of the last mounting and balancing fee I had to dish out. Dang! I should've worked that into the deal but I was so intent on getting a discount from the new rims that I completely forgot
Old 06-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Your first clue should have been 2005 Gunmetal. THey didnt make them in 2005, only 2004 and they are 8.5 not the standard 8in that the rest of the ASPECs are

Def Silver, though
Old 06-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by xtin
Your first clue should have been 2005 Gunmetal. THey didnt make them in 2005, only 2004 and they are 8.5 not the standard 8in that the rest of the ASPECs are

Def Silver, though
Hmmm.....I see but my friend recently got an 06 A-Spec TL and the 06's seem to be coming with Gunmetal finish rims too. They're not 8.5 in though but I think the standard 8. They're apparently called the Platinum rims now or something. These are the new rims that Delray Acura ordered for me. Hopefully these are the right ones!
Old 06-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Pro

Oh yeh, I forgot to also mention the part number. I asked the dealership for a part number so I could confirm with everyone else on the forum to make sure they're the right ones.

The part number of my new rims are 08W18-SEP-200E.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Oh yeh, I forgot to also mention the part number. I asked the dealership for a part number so I could confirm with everyone else on the forum to make sure they're the right ones.

The part number of my new rims are 08W18-SEP-200E.

Anyone have any ideas?
Not gunmetal. I have gunmetal and thats NOT the part number
Old 06-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Pro

I see. I think that part number is for the 2006 A-Spec platinum finish rims.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:34 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
him in the nuts why dont you! lol

I have chrome rims....part # ends in C...I would guess B is the A-Spec rims....and A (if there is one) to be the orig gunmetal ones....? But they may not have started using this series #'s until after the remake of the rims to 8" from 8.5".
Old 06-14-2006, 03:38 PM
アキュラ 力

Jimmy, I don't know if this helps but take a look at these threads. I haven't had time to thoroughly parse the information these threads for the final outcome on part numbers but I think it's in there somewhere:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...umber+gunmetal

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/brand-new-8000k-hid-kit-%24350-109899/
Old 06-14-2006, 03:43 PM
アキュラ 力

Jimmy, I don't know if this helps but take a look at these threads. I haven't had time to thoroughly parse the information these threads for the final outcome on part numbers but I think it's in there somewhere:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136660&highlight=part+number+gunm etal

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109899
Old 06-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Pro

Hey JP,

Thanks for the threads! I actually found my part number in a picture in one of the threads. Apparently my wheels are the ones on the bottom right also known as the Black Chrome finish. I guess this is the 2006 play-off of the gunmetal finish rims from 2004 that xtin was talking about. The rims definitely look pretty sweet!

Here's another close-up of the rim from the thread:
Old 06-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Pro

Hey JP,

Thanks for the threads! I actually found my part number in a picture in one of the threads. Apparently my wheels are the ones on the bottom right also known as the Black Chrome finish. I guess this is the 2006 play-off of the gunmetal finish rims from 2004 that xtin was talking about. The rims definitely look pretty sweet!

Old 06-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Pro

Hey JP,

Thanks for the threads! I actually found my part number in a picture in one of the threads. Apparently my new wheels on order are the ones on the bottom right also known as the Black Chrome finish. I guess this is the 2006 play-off of the gunmetal finish rims from 2004 that xtin was talking about. The rims definitely look pretty sweet!

Old 06-14-2006, 04:21 PM
アキュラ 力

Jimmy, just make sure it’s the right part number because there seemed to be quite a bit of confusion as to what the actual part number was for all the different finishes. Just a thought, you might even want to e-mail the picture shown above to your contact at Delray Acura to ensure that there is no confusion as to which rims you want.

EDIT: Jimmy, I was just looking at the pictures posted from the other thread. If you look closely at the sign in front of the wheel in the second picture it says Hyper Black.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:23 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I see Hyper Black on the tag....NOTHING ABOUT BLACK CHROME AT ALL? I dont know why they would EVER refer to a rim with "Chrome" in the title that was not shiney looking chrome look like the one on the left lower? And pic shows...THEY DONT! They call it HyperBlack? Geez....how many names can these guys come up with!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:25 PM
アキュラ 力

^^LOL, looks like we posted at just about the same time Michael
Old 06-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Pro

Jimmy, just make sure it’s the right part number because there seemed to be quite a bit of confusion as to what the actual part number was for all the different finishes. Just a thought, you might even want to e-mail the picture shown above to your contact at Delray Acura to ensure that there is no confusion as to which rims you want.

EDIT: Jimmy, I was just looking at the pictures posted from the other thread. If you look closely at the sign in front of the wheel in the second picture it says Hyper Black.
Good idea JP. I just e-mailed Delray Acura the two pictures above. I'm assuming that Hyper Black is a term for the standard rims put on the A-Spec package. I read about that in one of those threads you sent me. These are the Platinum finish rims and supposedly the gunmetal replacements.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:09 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Good idea JP. I just e-mailed Delray Acura the two pictures above. I'm assuming that Hyper Black is a term for the standard rims put on the A-Spec package. I read about that in one of those threads you sent me. These are the Platinum finish rims and supposedly the gunmetal replacements.
OK...to clear things up here....I contacted Acura of Escondido (Scott Edwards) about the issue....here is the reponse...

Mike,
I’m asked this and address this issue so often I have a designed reply:

There is only one A-Spec rim and two additional colors using the same style. In the attached picture, from top-down, they are:

Chrome Look

A-Spec

Sparkle Silver.

In 2004 there was the ill-fated Gun Metal A-Spec rim (same design as the current A-Spec rim with a different finish) which was discontinued due to its design flaw.

Thanks,

Scott

http://www.stores.ebay.com/acuraofescondidoparts

From there I doped out the rest of the part# list....note...the only GREY rim out there in color was the orig ill-fated A-Spec gunmetal. Forget about it...they are no longer available.

A-Spec Rim Part #’s

08W18-SEP-200 – (guessing 04 original 8.5” Grey Gun Metal?)

08W18-SEP-200B – 05 TL Satin Finish (A-Spec Kit Rims)

08W18-SEP-200C – 05 TL Chrome Look

08W18-SEP-200D – 05 TL Sparkle Silver

08W18-SEP-200E – 06 TL Satin Finish (A-Spec Kit Rims) TPMS

08W18-SEP-200F – 06 TL Chrome Look TPMS

08W18-SEP-200G – 06 TL Sparkle Silver TPMS

Hopefully this will end the speculation as to what is what with rims and part #'s! I will start a new thread just for this purpose too.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:12 PM
321 whp SAE

awesome post !!! ^^^
Old 06-14-2006, 05:34 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
awesome post !!! ^^^
Thanks man! Put a lot of time in the research as I figured it to be a worthy cause!! Our fellow AZ'ers should find it useful anyway!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:19 PM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Thanks man! Put a lot of time in the research as I figured it to be a worthy cause!! Our fellow AZ'ers should find it useful anyway!
Thanks Michael, for a great cause indeed! We appreciate the great detective work!!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:23 AM
Pro

MichaelBenz,

You seriously just saved the day!

Thanks for the amazing info and clarification!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Pro

Oh yeh, also for those who are in the Northern Virginia area, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about a good place to get tires/rims mounted for a good cost and good quality work? The last place I got my tires and rims mounted at only charged me $100 but then again obviously the scratches and scruffs on the rims they made kinda made up for the great price.

I heard Pep Boys is horrible so I was looking into Sears Auto Center.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:13 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Oh yeh, also for those who are in the Northern Virginia area, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about a good place to get tires/rims mounted for a good cost and good quality work? The last place I got my tires and rims mounted at only charged me $100 but then again obviously the scratches and scruffs on the rims they made kinda made up for the great price.

I heard Pep Boys is horrible so I was looking into Sears Auto Center.
Thats why I have (up to the last emergency mount/balance due to bent rim replacement) always paid the $89 charge for Acura dealer to mount/balance rims and tires. Had the same thing happen at Discount Tire...they messed my rims up bad mounting winter tires to em. Used Tire Barn Discount Wheel Warehouse last time though as I was in a pinch and they were very careful and did an excellent job. Due to this...I actually went back there to get alignment checked later....it was still good....they charged me nothing! Was very suprised by the quality of work..A+ to Tire Barn! They are WAY cheaper than Acura too.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Pro

I tried calling my local Acura dealership here and they actually said they would only charge me $96 for a full mounting/balancing. That's a great price AND it's at an Acura dealership so if anything goes wrong, they'll be responsible
Old 06-15-2006, 10:33 AM
Pro

I tried calling my local Acura dealership here and they actually said they would only charge me $96 for a full mounting/balancing. That's a great price AND it's at an Acura dealership so if anything goes wrong, they'll be responsible
Old 06-15-2006, 10:50 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I tend to agree with you on the "if anything goes wrong" portion.....but the price goes right along with the liability on the butter soft rims. A-Specs are terrible about rim damage...soft as butta! BUT...the price is crazy high...shit...I think Tire Barn will do the same thing for about $38 or something...but they dont have the Hunter Road Force machine either as they spin balance I believe...so I still think the dealer is worth it...BUT WAY HIGH! (and you can take HIGH any way you want to... )
Old 06-15-2006, 01:25 PM
アキュラ 力

Jimmy, just a word of caution with regards to mounting your rims at the local Acura Dealership. I'm not usre which dealership you are considering, but here is some info that I think might be useful to you. I used to be kind of tight with an Acura technician down at Radley in Bailey's Crossroads. I used to take my car to him to have it worked on at a discounted price (funny thing is that he used to do all the work at the Acura dealership). Anyways a few months after I met him, he ended up moving over to Pohanka. While he was at Pohanka, I once had him mount and balance a set of tires on some aftermarket rims I ordered. He warned me that the machine they use at Pohanka is not as good as the machine they use at Radley. Luckily my mounting went smoothly. But, sure enough, a few days after I had my tires mounted, a customer had an A-Spec rim severely scratched on their mounting machine. Talking to him a few days later, he admitted to me that although the facilities at Radley are not as nice, the tire mounting machine is much better. If you still decide to have your tires mounted at Pohanka, ask for Jayson (he is an evening advisor) and tell him J.P. sent you, he'll take care of you.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Pro

Wow....thanks for the info JP. I'll check into Radley and see what their prices are too. If I go to Pohanka, I'll definitely ask for Jayson. I think I've actually worked with him before and he was really good.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:34 PM
アキュラ 力

Wow....thanks for the info JP. I'll check into Radley and see what their prices are too. If I go to Pohanka, I'll definitely ask for Jayson. I think I've actually worked with him before and he was really good.
I only work with Jayson when I go to Pohanka for service, he's been great over the past few years that I've owned my TL. In typing this I realized that Jayson my know me more by my last name, but if JP doesn't ring a bell just remind him I'm the one witrh the super clean and shiney Silver TL Type-S, he'll know who you're talking about
Old 06-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Pro

I only work with Jayson when I go to Pohanka for service, he's been great over the past few years that I've owned my TL. In typing this I realized that Jayson my know me more by my last name, but if JP doesn't ring a bell just remind him I'm the one witrh the super clean and shiney Silver TL Type-S, he'll know who you're talking about
Will do.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2006, 02:23 AM
Instructor

what was the design flaw of the gun metal rims? anyone know?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by waynema
what was the design flaw of the gun metal rims? anyone know?
It stuck out too far and curb really easy. Many ask why didnt Acura just increase the tire ratio to 245 but the answer to that in my opinion is that Acura probably ordered a lot of yokos es100 in 235 already or had a contract with them or what not so they just changed the width to 8"
Old 06-21-2006, 02:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by whatjones911
It stuck out too far and curb really easy. Many ask why didnt Acura just increase the tire ratio to 245 but the answer to that in my opinion is that Acura probably ordered a lot of yokos es100 in 235 already or had a contract with them or what not so they just changed the width to 8"
thanks for the clarification, so did you find your sparkling silvers at the end?
I think I am going to go ahead and order a set of 08W18-SEP-200E (06 A-Spec ones/ the ones you recieved), actually if i ordered 08W18-SEP-200B ($104 cheaper), could I transfer over my TPMSs from my stock rims?

Quick Reply: Delray Acura Sent Me Wrong A-Spec Color Rims