Damn Pothole

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Damn Pothole

I was driving today to work, going 45-50 mph. suddently i hit a pothole on the front right sides. It was hard! and sounded really loud. I checked the tire monitor and it was ok.
Later after work my tire were flat....
Is there a chance to repair? or is it completely ruined?
If I have to change should i change all 4?
I havent change the tires since i got the car... now the car has 51k...
The last time the service guy told me that it would last me 15-20k more....
Im thinking of getting a dunlop SP sport signature, at discount tire.
would it be ok getting 245 instead of 235?

Im also worry that something else got damage...
what should I asked them to check?

Thank you!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your alignment and consider yourself lucky. I hit a pothole on lake shore drive in Chicago and my side curtain airbag and seat airbag deployed! $2700 later it was fixed but they screwed up my hands free link during the repair... HFL is booting up...HFL is booting up. Depressing
Old 12-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boardy
Check your alignment and consider yourself lucky. I hit a pothole on lake shore drive in Chicago and my side curtain airbag and seat airbag deployed! $2700 later it was fixed but they screwed up my hands free link during the repair... HFL is booting up...HFL is booting up. Depressing
Uah yeah im lucky... :P
Old 12-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
if you hit a pothole that hard you most likely put a bend in your rims and a bubble in your tire.....
Old 12-17-2011, 01:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by cucaracha
I was driving today to work, going 45-50 mph. suddently i hit a pothole on the front right sides. It was hard! and sounded really loud. I checked the tire monitor and it was ok.
Later after work my tire were flat....
Is there a chance to repair? or is it completely ruined?
If I have to change should i change all 4?
I havent change the tires since i got the car... now the car has 51k...
The last time the service guy told me that it would last me 15-20k more....
Im thinking of getting a dunlop SP sport signature, at discount tire.
would it be ok getting 245 instead of 235?

Im also worry that something else got damage...
what should I asked them to check?

Thank you!
Depending on how hard you hit the tire you could have broken the seal/bead on the tire. If that happens you loose a little bit of air when it breaks and gradually loose air over time. All it could take is dismounting and remounting your tire to fix the problem.

However if you hit a pothole hard enough to break the bead/seal, it's very possible that you damaged the tire and put a bubble in it (rubber layers seperated). IF that happens then you need to replace the tire as it's unsafe to drive on.

My suggestion is to put on your spare and go to discount tire or your tire shop you have been dealing with before. Tell them what happened and tell them from the get-go that your budget is pretty tight. For example, a buddy of mine who has dealt with Discount tire for the past 8-10 sets of tires (at great prices I might add, 10 dollars more than tirerack for each tire) hit a pothole and put a bubble in his tire but didn't bend the rim. His tires were at 4/32nds and he didn't have road hazard. He told them his budget was a bit tight and basically they ended up pro-rating all 4 tires and bought him 1 front tire, he paid for 3 tires minus the pro-ration. A set of tires that should have cost him close to 1000 dollars cost him around 500.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
My feeling is that you probably bent the wheel or broke the tire seal like csmeance said. Take it to the tire shop. It is possible that you did more damage but start with the tire and then keep an eye on the suspension.

Sometimes they will also do a free alignment at the tireshop for you. See if you can get that done.

Good luck. My wife hit a pothole in NYC and took out a 2 tires and wheels on my old Infiniti.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Get your wheel/tire to the shop and have them check it. Tire could be damaged or rim can be bent, or both. Also get your alignment checked - this should tell you if you did any other suspension damage.

My GF hit a pothole on a poorly maintained road in Seattle last March and it left her on the side of the road in my TL. It completely bent the inside lip of the rim causing instant flat. Surprisingly, the tire was salvageable. I had to order a new replacement wheel on tirerack, pay to have it sandblasted, and powder coated to match my other 3 powder coated rims. Grand total was $400 + alignment.

I filled out a Tort claim form along with the repair invoices to the city detailing the incident. After sending it to the wrong city/county ordinance a few times (WSDOT, King County), I finally got my form directed to the right place (City of Seattle). Needless to say, they paid my $400 bill just like that with a check in the mail. ; )

I recommend looking into getting city to pay for that damage if you want to spend some time filling out the forms.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:16 PM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
better hope ur rim is not cracked. make sure wheel sensor is good and get a new tire. i recommend michy's
Old 12-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Advanced

In the end i got the goodyear eagle gt...
what i can tell from my new tire... is that is smooth and has better traction....
the only con is that the road noise is a bit louder than than mich