CT-TLers/Anyone: Winter Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 02:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation CT-TLers/Anyone: Winter Tire Question

Need some help,

I currently live in southern CT, but work in Hartford. Anyone from CT know its a B*#ch to drive in rush hour traffic to Hartford. Well the winter is coming, and I definitely need to purchase some winter tires for my 99tl. I just purchased my tl in april, and it now has 48,000 on it, with the same tires throughout the life of the car.

I did a search on winter tires, found some good information, but still have some questions. I was thinking about getting Yokahama's, but didn't know what type. Also, what dimmensions, I don't know anything about tire specs.

Is this a good brand? And also, if anyone is from Southern CT, where can I purchase tires. The places near me are known for shady business. If not CT, NY poughkepsie to Albany area?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated as always.

Tony
Old 10-08-2002, 03:17 PM
Racer

What's up Tony, I live in stamford. Kinda funny ur commute is a little backwards, lol, most ppl live in central CT and commute down to lower fairfield county. Anyway, in terms of size get the same size tires you currently have on. Now in regards to the type of tire(regardless of brand) you basically have two choices for winter driving. All seasons and snow tires. Now if ur looking for tires that would be on ur car all year round, than all season is the way to go. However, if you plan on getting some aftermarket rims....then snow tires is the way to go. You can then easily swap on ur oem wheels with the snow tires on during the snowy months and then put on ur aftermarket wheels with high performance wet/dry tires for spring/summer/fall.

Basically, the snow tires will be better in the snow, but if your only going to have one set on all year round, then all season are ur best bet, because believe it or not, snow tires are even worse than all seasons in dry pavement.

Hope that helps clear things up. Oh and btw, yokohamas are good tires, and Town Fair Tire in Stamford is GREAT. Not sure about the TownFairs in other towns(although they're prob just as good), but the Stamford one is really goo
Old 10-08-2002, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
if you are going to run the tire in the winter only go with the michelin artic alpin i run them here in wisconsin and have researched and tested most of the snow tires and the alpins are the best. i will only use snow tires in the winter now after using them once, way worth it but you will need to take them off when spring comes around so have another set of tires ready
Old 10-11-2002, 08:08 AM
Racer

Hey Tony...I just moved from Milford to the Florida Keys but have friends at the Cooper tire there if you got questions, etc.
One thing you could do is pick up an extra set of rims just for your snow tires. I know from experience that the stock tires are nothing more than adequate in snow; I have friends who swear by Blizzaks. Anyway, let me know if you want my friends name.
Sure glad I don't have to take my chromies off this year!!!!
Old 10-11-2002, 09:38 AM
Advanced

Thanks a lot 02 Aegean CLS, that would be great! Just drop me an email at trav1100@yahoo.com with your friends name. I will definitely stop in and take a look.