Cooper Zeon Sport A/S Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper Zeon Sport A/S Anyone?

I am in the market for new tire. I probably will be buying some within the next 2 weeks. I have been leaning towards the Yoko Advan S.4., however, I was in my local Mills Fleet Farm and saw the Cooper Zeon Sport A/S. It "looks" like a good tire and I did a some google searches for review and came across a few that were all positive.!?

The reason I am surprise or hesitant about the tire is its price. The Yoko S.4 is $208 ea. at my local Tires Plus. The Cooper Zeon's are $102 at Mills Fleet Farm. I am a firm believer in that you get what you pay for and that is what exactly I am try to find out.

I almost never utilize the performance my TL is capable of ( I know its sad, but I rarely get a chance to). I would 98% of my driving is laid back, but the 2% of the time I do get to have fun with my car I do push it. So I am wondering if that 2% of the time is really worth paying double the price of tires?

The Yoko S.4's are going to cost close to $1K out the door at Tires Plus, where the Cooper Zeon S are going to be under $500 out the door. Again, I have no idea what the tread life of the Coopers are compared to Yoko's.

So does anyone have any experience with the Cooper Zeon Sport A/S or any other Cooper Tire that they can share with me?

BTW. I am thinking 245/45/17.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Someone out there has had to use cooper tires before... haven't they?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Cruisin'

I had cooper zeons on my grand am. I had no problems with them, just do not use them in snow lol, i did, bad idea! The tires looked cool but definately not all weather tires.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

where are you locateD? that kinda helps determine what kinda tire is best. but i say yoko ftw! awesome performance, great tread life .. but may be rougher ride compared to the cooper. i agree, you get what you pay for (more often than not) .. so yoko would be a great choice.

think of it this way, you're spending a extra now, but you're saving money in the long run. cause let's face it, you get less expensive tires, you'll just end up replacing them more often.

all in all .. YOKO!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Pro

I just got the Cooper Zeon Sport A/S's about 4 months ago. They are great tires. I have them on my CL-S. Overall they are great rain and dry weather tires. Lots of traction and smooth quiet ride. I def. recommend them. I even had them out in our last snow we had here and the had great traction in the snow. I have a couple of s turns down the road from me and they performed 10X better than my previous goodyear tires.
I give them a

btw...the Coopers are not a cheaply made tire...look at reviews and test of these tires. Reviews I seen this tire performed greatly...I did my research on tires as well and for the price and performance of a A/S tire you cannot beat them.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

i'm not bashing cooper, they make great tires, but i am an aggresive driver, and i push the performance in my TL, so yoko would be best imo. but again, different driver, different driving habits, and different location.

coopers are a good mix between performance and comfort, yoko's are way more performance based.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Cruisin'

My bad about the snow comment, I had zeon 2xs not the sport a/s
Old 06-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ricgrrarrow
i'm not bashing cooper, they make great tires, but i am an aggresive driver, and i push the performance in my TL, so yoko would be best imo. but again, different driver, different driving habits, and different location.

coopers are a good mix between performance and comfort, yoko's are way more performance based.
I agree...yoko's are def. performance superior.
I too am a aggressive driver but mother nature def. has the advantage up here in snow country and if I can find a well rounded A/S tire that last long and performs well that is cheaper call me an old fashion cheap a$$.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Stuck in Vegas.

Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
I too am a aggressive driver but mother nature def. has the advantage up here in snow country and if I can find a well rounded A/S tire that last long and performs well that is cheaper call me an old fashion cheap a$$.
when i lived in chicago, i had my summer tires, and winter tires. best choice.. maybe not so cheap, but at least you know for sure that in summer your tires are more fresh than the set you beat up in the snow and salted roads and ugh all that crap. sometimes if you go to a local tire dealer, you can get a deal with buying two sets for one car. try it out!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ricgrrarrow
when i lived in chicago, i had my summer tires, and winter tires. best choice.. maybe not so cheap, but at least you know for sure that in summer your tires are more fresh than the set you beat up in the snow and salted roads and ugh all that crap. sometimes if you go to a local tire dealer, you can get a deal with buying two sets for one car. try it out!
Yea two sets of tires would def. be the prime choice but you explain that cost to my wife... esp. since I only drive 5 miles to work..ha

If I had my choice I be rollin in a s2K w/ yoko's in the summer and the CL-S with nubs in the winter...but thats a far far dream.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Stuck in Vegas.

Yea two sets of tires would def. be the prime choice but you explain that cost to my wife... esp. since I only drive 5 miles to work..ha

If I had my choice I be rollin in a s2K w/ yoko's in the summer and the CL-S with nubs in the winter...but thats a far far dream.
shit, dream would be sitting in a continental GT in cali. haha done deal
Old 06-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Instructor

One review I read said that the Cooper A/S Needs to "warm up" for traction. Did you notice any issues with your Winter/Snow Driving? I too drive a short distances so I won't really have an opportunity for them to "warm up" + here in Minnesota it is cold (sometimes very very cold) 6-8 months out of the year.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the Zeon A/S tires for a while on my beater (Volvo 740 Turbo). It's RWD and +10psi, and let me tell you, probably the best money I spent on that car, there very quiet and handle outstanding. I actually only had two on the back for a while, and just ordered two more from summit racing because they corner very well. There really great in the rain, and provide a lot of traction. I normally cruise at 80ish and everything is nice and smooth, I definitely recommend them. Summit racing usually will beat if not match anyones prices. I ordered a pair spending $93 each and received them in 2 days!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ajdigerati
One review I read said that the Cooper A/S Needs to "warm up" for traction. Did you notice any issues with your Winter/Snow Driving? I too drive a short distances so I won't really have an opportunity for them to "warm up" + here in Minnesota it is cold (sometimes very very cold) 6-8 months out of the year.
No I didn't notice anything at all. From the get go they were plenty of traction and excellent handling. With my Goodyears it was easy to break them loose in the rain and snow...with the Cooper A/S's I really have to work at breaking them loose...and most of the time in the rain I can't at all. Cooper def. did it right with these.
I think you will be plesantly pleased with the wide range of performance of these tires...I was.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Racer

I had one on my car for a few months. Had a tire go bad and the local tire shop couldn't get the same tire quickly. Seemed like a very nice tire and I saved it when I replaced all 4 tires this weekend. I almost bought a set of 4 new but, went with Continental ContiExtremeContact's.

We put Cooper CS4 Touring on my GF's Mazda 3 a few months ago and so far so good.

I would (and did) consider the Cooper's this time around.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Instructor

I was on a vacation for a few day, I did some further tire research and found the General Altimax HP. It is a fairly new Tire from General. All reviews were positive and all the ratings were just as good if not better in some case as the Yokos. Also upon further analysis of my driving habits I came to the conclusion that I really did not need a UHP tire. So I got the Generals.

I have put 300+ miles on them so far. The ride is quiet and smooth, for testing purposes I did take a few sharp corners at a high rate of speed and did find the tire to be a little sloppy, but for the price and frequency in which I drive hard, I believe the Generals were the one. They are also a very good looking tire. Thanks for all your feedback!

I was out the door for for $575 including Alignment.

btw, they scratched my rims in the process of putting on the new tires. Yes, all 4 rims.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I used the Cooper Zeon ZPT's on my old TSX. Great traction, wet or dry. The only thing I didn't like was that were noisey. Perhaps the A/S's are quieter. Overall, I was very pleased with the Zeon's.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Advanced

I'm in the market for 4 new tires. I live in SC so snow is no issue. 2007 TL. I have alot of hwy driving for my job and driving around town. Don't race my TL but enjoy the performance here and there.

The Michelin's (MX4?)that came with it have lasted 70k miles and are now balding pretty bad. I've heard those haven't lasted very long for most.

Called my local tire shop and got a range of prices ($124-$300). $124 was for Cooper Zeon's (didn't say what type just Zeon). Kuhmo AST's were $139. I asked which Kuhmo and Cooper.

Which do you guys think would be better tires? Same? Michelin's are over $200
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I have Zeon Sport A/S on my stockies and they are a decent tire, but a little noisy. I've put about 25K on them and they still have plenty of tread left. They are terrible in the snow and not very good when it is cold.

That said, I don't understand why people by A/S tires when they live where it doesn't snow. There are plenty of summer tires that will do much better than an A/S tire. You may not get 70K out of them, but they will far just fine for your type of driving.