Considering A-spec suspension with 17" tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering A-spec suspension with 17" tires

I am considering buying the A-spec suspension kit from Curry Acura on Ebay which includes the shocks and springs and hardware for my 2004 6MT TL. I have done some research on the site and one of the questions I have I could not find an answer for. I am going to leave the 17" stock tires on and was wondering if anyone had any opinions/experience with having this suspension with the stock tires? I am also going to buy the rear Comptech sway bar through the local dealership and have them install both that and the suspension (since they will not piecemeal the suspension only). Any thoughts would be much appreciated - great forum here.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:38 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

As I mentioned to you in your PM, don't pay more than $400 for your suspension installation, and maybe another $50 for the sway bar. Since they already have your car up on a lift, it shouldn't be too much more. Slight increase in marginal cost.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:27 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Comptech swaybar should give you a little more rotation (less push). How much is the Acura kit ??? You can get the eibach kit (coils and dampers) for $515 (Tire Rack) + S&H new. Installation should be arround $400 for all.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clew84
I am considering buying the A-spec suspension kit from Curry Acura on Ebay which includes the shocks and springs and hardware for my 2004 6MT TL. I have done some research on the site and one of the questions I have I could not find an answer for. I am going to leave the 17" stock tires on and was wondering if anyone had any opinions/experience with having this suspension with the stock tires? I am also going to buy the rear Comptech sway bar through the local dealership and have them install both that and the suspension (since they will not piecemeal the suspension only). Any thoughts would be much appreciated - great forum here.
I drove mine like that (stock 17's, A-Spec suspension) for a couple days while I waited for my tires to arrive. The car was more fun to drive but I was not happy with the traction. Better tires made a huge difference. It doesn't cost anything to try it out, but I suspect you'll probably be happier with better tires.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Instructor

I had the A-spec suspension installed today and I just picked it up. I paid $420 from the dealer, they also replaced a blown speaker ( under warranty ) and I drove a TSX loaner all day. I debated saving a little $$, but I took the loaner and the fact that the techs' done about 35-40 suspension installs in the last year.

A-Spec suspension mini review. Only drove it about 10 miles home but i'm gonna go out soon for a better feel. Oh, I'm riding on stock w/ EL-42's.

I noticed that it was lower ( slightly ) as I walked up to it. I could see more of the roof/sunroof. The Cg feels slightly lower. It feels just a little tighter than stock on turn in, a little less understeer. Also the bound/rebound characteristics are significantly better, with most of the "bounce"gone. Feels more german, in a good way.

What I noticed the most is when I accelerate, the nose doesn't rear up with each shift............. same with breaking, the nose doesn't dive.

I also ordered the CT rear sway. I will put it on myself in a few weeks.

I'm gonna upgrade the tires to 245/45/17. Just gonna trade in the stock, take what they give me and move up.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Banned

Got a question. Im looking to by suspension and does the A-spec kit made for the automatics also?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:41 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by CedNBHTL
Got a question. Im looking to by suspension and does the A-spec kit made for the automatics also?
They sure do!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:36 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ZQQM
I had the A-spec suspension installed today and I just picked it up. I paid $420 from the dealer, they also replaced a blown speaker ( under warranty ) and I drove a TSX loaner all day. I debated saving a little $$, but I took the loaner and the fact that the techs' done about 35-40 suspension installs in the last year.

A-Spec suspension mini review. Only drove it about 10 miles home but i'm gonna go out soon for a better feel. Oh, I'm riding on stock w/ EL-42's.

I noticed that it was lower ( slightly ) as I walked up to it. I could see more of the roof/sunroof. The Cg feels slightly lower. It feels just a little tighter than stock on turn in, a little less understeer. Also the bound/rebound characteristics are significantly better, with most of the "bounce"gone. Feels more german, in a good way.

What I noticed the most is when I accelerate, the nose doesn't rear up with each shift............. same with breaking, the nose doesn't dive.

I'm gonna upgrade the tires to 245/45/17. Just gonna trade in the stock, take what they give me and move up.

It is interesting to see that some dealers are willing to piecemeal the A-spec while others act like it's just not done. Thanks to Lore for the idea on going to that dealer - I will be giving them a call. Congrats on the upgrade and you are lucky to find someone who was willing to just do the suspension. I called a couple of local dealers here in Maryland and the closest I got to a la carte was one that wanted $2700 for the suspension kit and wheels (no tires). Uh, yeah, no thanks. Have fun driving!
Old 03-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Racer

So it was $420 for installation? How much for the suspension kit?

-LOD
Old 03-22-2005, 12:13 AM
Instructor

The kit was purchased off of ebay, for $600 from Currry Acura. It took a little convincing for the dealer to install it.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:12 AM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Thanks for the review.
Just one thing.
Stock tires are 235/45R17, which means the have 105.75 mm of sidewall.
The ones you want to upgrade to are 245/45R17, which have 110.25 mm of sidewall.
Why don't you try 245/40R 17's which have 98 mm of sidewall ? That will make them 12.25 mm shorter and so much more responsive, allowing you to have less tirewall flex and extract even more bennefits from the suspension.