Consensus... And, cheapest for TL Type S knock off rims?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Consensus... And, cheapest for TL Type S knock off rims?

So, I'm looking for a set of wheels as I'm getting a set of Blizzak snows for up here in the winter, and I hate having to dismount and re-mount tires on rims, so just going to buy another set of wheels.

Anyways, I've always liked the TL Type S wheels. I just have a plane jane regular old TL, but figured I could dress it up a little bit with a set of Type S rims, and they are the stock OE size, so fit perfect, etc.
Looks like Type S reproductions are about hovering around $150 a wheel or so. Not too bad.
Wondering what I can expect? Are these things decent quality or junk that will bend in a year?

Also, where's the best place to get them??
I found this place, and wondering what I will get, but I'm sure they are all the same.
aluminum-17x8-wheel-rim-71763

Anyways, the part I'm a little not sure about is what the finish will be like.... The factory finish looks more medium grey / dark silver

That's the stock image for the repoduction wheel, but all the one's I'm seeing on Ebay look way darker (dark graphite)... Which is way darker than stock.

Side by side you can really see the difference. Anyways, I'd love to find one that is the lighter variety as my car is white and I think unless you have a Fast and Furious civic and are in High School... Friends don't let friends paint there wheels black!
These are getting close to the border. lol.

I love the gunmetal / graphite look, but I want something basically stock looking.

I've seen that there are a few places that have remanufactured OEM wheels and they are good as new, but no one has any good pictures so you know that the finish will look like.

Any advice or input appreciated.
I ordered one S Type reproduction from online and will see what it looks like. If I hate it, I'll send back for a refund.
If they look good, I'll order three more.

Maybe I'm just being too picky as in the winter they will be covered with crap most of the time anyways, but I'm sorta OCD when it comes to my cars.

Any advice or actual pics of reproduction or refurbished wheels would be a big help. Post 'em here! Thanks!
Old 10-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
How many different threads are you going to start for the same subject?
Old 10-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
You want something stock looking? Buy stock then.

Keep your eyes on the "black market" section, here on AZ. You're bound to stumble upon a good condition set sooner than later. You can also likely get them for a steal of a price on here.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
How many different threads are you going to start for the same subject?
I think I posted something to the effect I was interested in finding a set in some other thread somewhere, but I hadn't specifically asked about this subject in a post before.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,014 Likes on 759 Posts
I have a set of the aftermarket ones if you want to see the color of them in person. Also I think I recently saw someone say they got the for $370 shipped!
Old 10-12-2016, 01:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
I have a set of the aftermarket ones if you want to see the color of them in person. Also I think I recently saw someone say they got the for $370 shipped!
Do you still own a TL? I actually ordered one just to see what it looks like in person. If I like what I see, I'll order the other 3!
$370 shipped is a steal! Inquiring minds want to know where to find that deal.
I should just come by some time and check out what you have since I live so close.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:20 AM
Safety Car

Yes, I have an 07 Type-S and parting out my old 05 TL Base
Old 10-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Here's my Type-S replicas from ebay. I use these as winter wheels.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trav2390
Here's my Type-S replicas from ebay. I use these as winter wheels.
Thanks for posting. Those look pretty close to the OEM Type S wheels as far as I can tell.
Should be good enough for snows. How much per wheel did you end up paying if you don't mind me asking?
I think I paid $143 + Shipping on the one I've ordered.

By comparing the pictures, from what I can tell the repo wheels are painted a bit darker and have a high gloss finish, which I think is the thing that stands out to me.
I presume your center caps are OEM, in which case you can see the contrast above in picture number 2.

I added another picture that I think show the OEM finish being less gloss and lighter.

Last edited by NSX_Lvr; 10-12-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by NSX_Lvr
Thanks for posting. Those look pretty close to the OEM Type S wheels as far as I can tell.
Should be good enough for snows. How much per wheel did you end up paying if you don't mind me asking?
I think I paid $143 + Shipping on the one I've ordered.

By comparing the pictures, from what I can tell the repo wheels are painted a bit darker and have a high gloss finish, which I think is the thing that stands out to me.
I presume your center caps are OEM, in which case you can see the contrast above in picture number 2.

I added another picture that I think show the OEM finish being less gloss and lighter.

I think I payed around $500 with shipping for all 4 wheels. My center caps are OEM yes. HOWEVER, I painted my center caps to try to match the color of the replicas. As you can see its pretty close, but not perfect. Without the paint, the center caps are much brighter and do not match the replica waffles.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
nsxlovr is thinking waaaaaaaay to hard on this
Old 10-13-2016, 11:44 AM
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 243 Posts
i dont see any real "thinking"
Old 10-17-2016, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Got the one wheel last night. Darker than I'd like, but otherwise looks good. I can't see repainting a brand new perfectly finished wheels, so just gonna run it for now.

Maybe sometime in the future I will consider stripping them and powder coating a lighter shade.

Ordering other three and then snow tires.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Lol for all that money and hassle, you can just buy a great condition used OEM set.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Does anyone have a part number for the graphite Type S center caps? I couldn't find this particular type online.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:59 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Acura...1WY0YXQ1BH2SJY
Old 11-02-2016, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by llllBULLSEYE
Thanks for the info!

Yikes.... That's pretty expensive. $21 a piece for center caps. I didn't expect to spend another $100 on center caps or I might have gone with some ASW wheels or something from Tire Rack.
The standard center caps (silver) are only $5.42 each. Guess you pay extra for "sporty" color. lol
Old 11-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Safety Car

I have a couple that were plasti dipped over but you can peel, sand, paint to match what ever you need. I will have to find them and I can post a pic. They were off base wheels so I am unsure if the dimensions are the same.