Coilovers worth my time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Scuba_Steve

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coilovers worth my time?

Whats up guys? I'm lookin to drop my '07 ASM TLS. I was originally thinkin about goin with a spring and shock combo. Possibly tein stech and tokico shocks, or maybe h&r sport springs and tokico shocks. Now I am thinkin about goin with coilovers because I live in Chicago, so I gotta deal with the wonderful snowy winters! So I like the ability to be able to raise it back up with the coils for winter. I was thinkin possibly TEIN SS. Also have heard good things about Megans. I have experience with doin drops with springs and shocks, but coilovers would be a whole new ballpark for me! I'm gonna be doin the drop and throwin on some 19s in the spring. I'm lookin for as good a ride quality as possible. I know its gonna be more stiff than stock though. So would it really be worth my time to go with coilovers? I appreciate any help and advice that u guys can give!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
No difference.

Takes basically the same amount of time and is the same work to do springs, springs/shocks and Coil-Overs.

Only difference with Coil-Overs, you don't need to compress/remove/replace the spring, so the Coil-Overs should actaully be easier.

Find out if you need to re-use the OE Top Hats or not. I think a few guys went and bought new Top Hat parts so their Coil Overs were "plug & play".

Check the DIY/Service Manual scans.

Regardless (springs/shocks or Coil-Overs), dampening adjustments (espcially the rear) and/or Ride Height adjustments are a PITA.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
if you adjust ride height, you will have to get alignments done everytime you change height.

On regards to Megan Coilovers, I have heard negative things in regards to their build quality.

At least you know ride quality will be stiffer. What type of drop are you thinking? I know Tokico HP (blue) are designed for 1.5 or less of a drop. If you want Eipach then the Eibach/koni setup is ideal.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Scuba_Steve

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
if you adjust ride height, you will have to get alignments done everytime you change height.

On regards to Megan Coilovers, I have heard negative things in regards to their build quality.

At least you know ride quality will be stiffer. What type of drop are you thinking? I know Tokico HP (blue) are designed for 1.5 or less of a drop. If you want Eipach then the Eibach/koni setup is ideal.
Yeah, probably in the area of about 1.5". Nothin too low, just enough to make it not look jacked up with 19s! I used Tokico blues, and Tein S Tech on my gf's IS300. But she only has 17s... So I dunno how much different it would be with me gettin 19s. I actually met an azine member yesterday, by chance, and hes runnin H&R sport springs with tokicos.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by EcKoHeD72
Whats up guys? I'm lookin to drop my '07 ASM TLS. I was originally thinkin about goin with a spring and shock combo. Possibly tein stech and tokico shocks, or maybe h&r sport springs and tokico shocks. Now I am thinkin about goin with coilovers because I live in Chicago, so I gotta deal with the wonderful snowy winters! So I like the ability to be able to raise it back up with the coils for winter. I was thinkin possibly TEIN SS. Also have heard good things about Megans. I have experience with doin drops with springs and shocks, but coilovers would be a whole new ballpark for me! I'm gonna be doin the drop and throwin on some 19s in the spring. I'm lookin for as good a ride quality as possible. I know its gonna be more stiff than stock though. So would it really be worth my time to go with coilovers? I appreciate any help and advice that u guys can give!
Keep in mind the TEIN SS have a standard drop of almost 1" F&R. They can be adjusted to about 2.5" F&R. So yes you can raise it somewhat but not entirely. If you are looking for ride height adjustment and damping adjustment then the TEIN SS are your best bet. If you want a standard ride height drop (most being between 1-1.5") then go with lowering springs and TOKICO shocks.

If you need a quote let us know.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:29 AM
Illist

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
i say coilovers...... ive personally been through alot of Combos in my past cars, and nothing beats full adjustability.

On a side note, i have had Megan Coilovers on 3 different cars.(currently running megans on my TL-S) and they been Good as far as reliablity and build quality in my opinon was equal to Tein. Megans also come with Pillow ball mounts, u dont have to reuse stock tophats like u do with Tein SS and Basic setups. plus ride height and spring preload are independent from each other. when slamming Tein ss or Basic setups u have to wind the collars all the way down, which makes the spring loose and may start rubbing against threading. fully independent system you wont have to worry about that.

Coilovers FTW
Old 07-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Tein SS can be adjusted to ride even softer than stock- or a little stiffer for a basic nice ride with better handling- or up to race track stiff- all with the simple turn of a t-handle allen wrench you put in the very top of the shock
I play with the front adjustmet way more often than the rears, and you can always cut an access hole to adjust the rears!
or get the edfc controller and electric motors will adjust the shocks as you drive- on demand

Normal adjust procedure- pull over- put car in park- open hood- click click click- do other side the same- close hood- resume drive and feel differance.
My wife loves that feature!!! The road gets suddenly rough--say, miles of road construction lay ahead---making the car bouncy- ````make it better!``` she says
Yes dear!!!!