Car drifting to the right after coilover and 19"... Help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by 260 HP

If it's possible to you and doesn't cost too much, you can try swapping the front tires left and right. If there's a difference, then you KNOW that one or both tires are causing the pull.
Or you can rotate on right front to the right back and see what happens .. if no change do the left side.

I don't know about newer front wheel drives but the toe in was 1/16" to 1/8" ( don't know what his is in degrees ) in older cars to prevent "hunting" or "wandering".

Did they do any adjustments with the thrust angle?

Thrust angle is the direction that the rear wheels are pointing in relation to the center line of the vehicle. If the thrust angle is not zero, then the vehicle will "dog track" and the steering wheel will not be centered. The best solution is to first adjust the rear toe to the center line and then adjust the front toe. This is normally done during a 4-wheel alignment as long as the rear toe is adjustable. If the rear is not adjustable, then the front toe must be set to compensate for the thrust angle, allowing the steering to be centered.

Steering center is simply the fact that the steering wheel is centered when the vehicle is traveling down a straight and level road. A crooked steering wheel is usually the most common complaint that a customer has after a wheel alignment is performed. Assuming that the steering wheel stays in the same position when you let go of the wheel (in other words, the car is not pulling), then steering center is controlled by the front and rear toe settings. When setting steering center, the rear toe should be set first bringing the Thrust Angle as close to the vehicle centerline as possible. Then the steering wheel is locked in a straight ahead position while the front toe is set. Before locking the steering wheel, the engine should be started and the wheel should be turned right and left a couple of times to take any stress off the power steering valve. After setting the toe, the engine should be started again to be sure that the steering valve wasn't loaded again due to the tie rod adjustments. Of course, you should always road test the vehicle after every alignment as a quality control check.

Another problem with steering center has to do with the type of roads that are driven on. Most roads are crowned to allow for water drainage, and unless you drive in England, Japan or another country where they drive on the wrong (sorry) left side of the road, you usually drive on the right side of the crown. This may cause the vehicle to drift to the right so that the steering wheel will appear to be off-center to the left on a straight road. The best way to compensate for this is as follows:

If there is a difference in caster, it should be that the left wheel is more negative than the right wheel, but not more than 1/2 degree. Check the specs for any specific recommendations on side-to-side differences.

If there is a difference in camber, then the left wheel should be more positive than the right wheel. Check the specs to see what the allowable difference is.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 260 HP
There's another way to resolve this: find a shop that has Hunter Road Force balancing machine that has StraightTrak. Read it here: http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.. You can locate a dealer from this website, too. This can be costly, too, but at least if one tire is very bad, you can do something about it.

The other way is to shift the subframe to alter the caster, but it can be costly and complicated. The only place I know who can do it is Wheel Warehouse in Anaheim besides the dealerships.

If it's possible to you and doesn't cost too much, you can try swapping the front tires left and right. If there's a difference, then you KNOW that one or both tires are causing the pull.
260HP: The thing is that I pretty much did cross check almost all the above. As you can see from my 1st post, I did swap the tires all around.. still drifting to the same direction... so i kind of think either ALL the tires are ok or are messed up.

Jesstzn: From your explanation comparing to my alignment# above... everything should be ok, please correct me if I'm wrong... The only other reason that I think make sense is probably the alignment machine shop is wrong and need to be readjusted....
Old 06-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
I had an issue with drifting for the longest time. It ended up being my tires. fuckin kuhmos
Old 06-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ethan, what's wrong with your SPT? Do you still have them? I just bought a set of SPTs for my Accord. I hope nothing's wrong with them. I'd be pissed if they're crappy.

d1jey1, from your first post, I didn't see that you have swapped the front tires RIGHT and LEFT. This will require dismounting and remounting the front tires.

My logic is this, if your car didn't pull with the stock tires and now it does with the 19", the problem lies on your tires.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
They're ok now Leo. I really dont know. The tires on the front were just jacked. So I unmounted the back ones and swapped them from left to right, then put them on the front.

Then took the front ones off and put them on the back, with a camber kit. Got four wheel alignment before I did all of that. Now the car tracks straight as hell.

d1jey, Im willing to bet that its your tires more than alignment. If it keeps passing on the Hunter machine then its no doubt your tires.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know.. I haven't exactly swap the left to right.... However,

-First I changed the FR to new one... still drifting to right
-then I swap the FR with RR.. still drifting to right...
... so either all three brand new tires (from the Right-side) have radial pull, or none of them has...

-then I swap the FL to RL ... still drifting to right....
... So either both left-side tires has radial pull

so final conclusion is that: either all 5 sets of my brand new tire has radial pull or it's not the tire problem...

but yet... it's not pulling with the stock tire and wheel... very exiting, huh....

By having done ALL that: should I still think that there's still probably something wrong with the tire? should I still try left to right swap... I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same thing... given all the swap that I've done...

My tires is still a week old... if I can still find the "one" that has radial pull, probably I can still ask them for exchange... but without any strong prove, I doubt that I can have them changed all four... since the chance of having 5-brand new-defective tires purchased by same person is close to none...