Can i change my rims without Swapping the TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:25 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can i change my rims without Swapping the TPMS?

Sup ya, im about to put on a new set of rims & tires for the winter since i heard type s tires are crap in the snow. IM hearing i have to change my tpms too. I know this is the proper way to do it but, could i get away with not changing them? or would the reminder light go off constantly when driving indicating no tpms or just on start up?

Last edited by CaZper; 11-07-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by CaZper
would the reminder light go off constantly when driving indicating no tpms or just on start up?
Chime on every start up and reminder would remain on. For the relatively low cost of replacement units, just purchase the TPMS sensors and be done with it.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
yea you can go without them...but they are a pretty cheap...i would prob just buy some
Old 11-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

Technically its illegal to swap a rim without swapping over the TPMS. But if your gonna change out your own wheels, who cares if the light is on. Its not hard to swap over the TPMS. Its 35 inch lb torque, if your gonna swap it over. Or what some people I know do is throw it all in one wheel, air it up to the correct pressure and throw the wheel in the trunk. That way the light is off. As for me, I have all the tools and equipment at work for me to do it myself. So its 35 inch lb torque, if you over torque the TPMS you can get galvanic corrosion and it can ruin your sensor. Hope this helps you out, my .
Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 07tl-s6spd
yea you can go without them...but they are a pretty cheap...i would prob just buy some
WHere can i get them besides the dealer? And how much do they cost around?
Old 11-08-2010, 05:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse
Or what some people I know do is throw it all in one wheel, air it up to the correct pressure and throw the wheel in the trunk. That way the light is off.
He’s actually getting a second set of wheels/tires so the sensors won’t be removed. Also, to make things a little neater in the trunk, some just purchase a 3”-4” diameter tube, place the sensors in the tube, then install and seal the end caps. Naturally one end cap would need to have a rubber valve installed first, then inflate to 35 lbs. Don’t know if this will work on all vehicles as one of mine only recognizes 4 specific TPMS sensors, so when I install the winter wheels I would need to use the 4 sensors that are inside my summer assembly so it would be a no go. Acura sensors are genernic in the fact that they can be replaced with no abnormalities.

By passing the TPMS sensors is illegal and although at times troublesome with some applications, in the long run the tires will last longer, especially for the owners that don’t check the pressures regularly.

Originally Posted by CaZper
WHere can i get them besides the dealer? And how much do they cost around?
$36.67 from dealer
http://oemacuraparts.com/partlocator...&siteid=214055

$29.99 for Dorman from Rock Auto
Use code 42781213520203 and take 5% off parts=$28.49 each.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Check this out:
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/04-06-wdp-side-skirts-%7C-tail-lights-%7C-tl-wheels-tires-%7C-07-tpms-791164/
Old 11-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I don't run the TPMS in mt summers .. winters are on the stock wheels .. all I get is one notification per start up and then when I acknowledge it the tiny light stays on in the dash .

If its illegal to run without them ... who is going to check it? If its at inspection time .. swap to the wheels that have them because I'm sure a cop isn't going to be checking your valve stems .
Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
all I get is one notification per start up and then when I acknowledge it the tiny light stays on in the dash .
Like I said before, just don't know why someone would run without them and listen to the chime on every start and watch the light on the dash. Spend money on wheels/tires, might as well do it right and install the sensors.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Like I said before, just don't know why someone would run without them and listen to the chime on every start and watch the light on the dash. Spend money on wheels/tires, might as well do it right and install the sensors.
Well its not like the thing chimes for 4 hours .. it chimes .. you press a button .. its gone and you get a tiny light 3/32" x 1/4" if that in the bottom corner of the tach .. its not a flashing neon light that you can read by.

The sensors are designed for lazy people who can't remember to check thier tires or even visually check them when they walk up to the car. Even the sensors are a pain when the weather gets cool. They end up going off telling you your tires are low .. so you fill them and 3 days later the temps go up a bit and your over inflated.

They are great for you guys in the south but up here they will drive you nuts in the fall / spring.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Well its not like the thing chimes for 4 hours .. it chimes .. you press a button .. its gone and you get a tiny light 3/32" x 1/4" if that in the bottom corner of the tach .. its not a flashing neon light that you can read by.

The sensors are designed for lazy people who can't remember to check thier tires or even visually check them when they walk up to the car. Even the sensors are a pain when the weather gets cool. They end up going off telling you your tires are low .. so you fill them and 3 days later the temps go up a bit and your over inflated.

They are great for you guys in the south but up here they will drive you nuts in the fall / spring.
You may say they are for lazy people, but the only time my alarm went off was when I was on the highway driving 70 mph and the light came on. Pulled over and a screw had penetrated the side of the tread area. Glad it came on before the tire went flat.
Also, tire pressure surely doesn't fluctuate 4 to 6 lbs per day, but everybody has their own opinion.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Also, tire pressure surely doesn't fluctuate 4 to 6 lbs per day, but everybody has their own opinion.
A tire set to 32 PSI can drop below the TPMS threshold easily in the fall as the temperature drops ... do a search .. its been posted here more than once.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:46 PM
2005 AM at/navi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
why dont you just buy the tpms rebuild kits? i work at a america's tire and i know for a fact that when i sell wheels to a customer i recommend simply buying tpms rebuilds for 5 bucks which includes new rubber gaskets, new washers, new valve core, and new nut for the tpms. this is a very inexpensive and fast way to swap tpms from wheel to wheel, it takes only a few seconds per tpms. but if you dont have like two minutes to spare when you get new wheels then buy a new set of tpms.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

A tire set to 32 PSI can drop below the TPMS threshold easily in the fall as the temperature drops ... do a search .. its been posted here more than once.
Yup, about 1 psi for every 10 degrees, so if it's 80 degrees one day and your at 34 psi, then 20 degrees the next day they will be 28 psi and you'll need air, but the next day at 80 degrees you'd need to let air out.
Regardless, you would still need to monitor the air pressure every day to ensure the correct pressures with or without the sensors and with the sensors you'd not have to put up with the chime nor rediculous light.