Buying USED Tein SS...Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 02:00 PM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Buying USED Tein SS...Questions

I'm going to be purchasing a used Tein SS kit with EDFC from a member here on the boards. They have about 5K miles on them, and are in great condition. They do not come with the top hats, so since they've been removed, Tein says that a new nut needs to be used each time the coilover is assembled and disassembled.

Tein notes that this is part# SAP38-98484, but it also says in their diagram that this is an M10x1.25 nut, and it appears to be a flange nut. Is this a specific Tein part, or can I just buy 4 of these and be good to go?

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0162311

Also, is there anything I should be weary of in purchasing used coilovers with 5K miles on them?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
PM Rodney.. he's like an encyclopedia for this stuff. 5K miles is nothing, it depends more on where in the U.S. those 5k miles come from. Because 5K miles in NYC vs. 5k miles in FL are like 2 different animals. 5k miles in FL is practically brand new. EDFC is cool, but not an absolute unless you track your car often and need to change setting on the fly. Once you key in to your settings, you rarely change it except for the initial few weeks with the EDFC just for the cool factor.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:42 PM
New shoes on my

Yeah, these are the the Houston, TX area, so I'm going to say they're practically new. As for those top nuts, I see that I can buy the ones that go on the OEM struts, so I'm wondering if those are teh same size and thread pitch.

The ones I posted above I now see aren't the correct ones becasue they are the locking type.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:13 PM
New shoes on my

Ok, so some more questions, I'm going to order the top hat assemblies since I don't want to disassemble my a-spec shocks. I will be ordering from www.acuraoemparts.com

Now, I've been able to identify all parts that I need from Tein's diagram and from the acuraoemparts website, but there is one washer that I am not sure of what part to order. First for the fronts:

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

The corosponding part numbers are in red. What is the one on the bottom with the ??. I'm thinking its part #14, but not sure. Can anyone confirm?

And for the rear:

The corosponding part numbers are in red. What is the one on the bottom with the ??. I'm thinking its part #15, but not sure. Can anyone confirm? Also, for #10, there is also a #1 that goes with it that is the seal that is not shown on the Tein diagram, but is shown on the acura diagram. Does anyone know if I need that?

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:13 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
used ss's with 5k practically new. Good luck and let me know whats up..
Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 PM
New shoes on my

Bump. anyone have any insight on the 2 parts I'm not sure of?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:31 PM
New shoes on my

One more bump for an answer, then I'll just eat it and buy them from heel toe...
Old 06-12-2009, 07:01 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
holla at josh @ excelerate, ull get it in like one day lol
Old 06-13-2009, 12:21 AM
New shoes on my

I got my exhaust system from him in under 48 hours. I'll give him a shot. Thanks man. I should have this sitting nice in time for the July 9 meet
Old 06-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by mglax13
Ok, so some more questions, I'm going to order the top hat assemblies since I don't want to disassemble my a-spec shocks. I will be ordering from www.acuraoemparts.com

Now, I've been able to identify all parts that I need from Tein's diagram and from the acuraoemparts website, but there is one washer that I am not sure of what part to order. First for the fronts:

The corosponding part numbers are in red. What is the one on the bottom with the ??. I'm thinking its part #14, but not sure. Can anyone confirm?

And for the rear:

The corosponding part numbers are in red. What is the one on the bottom with the ??. I'm thinking its part #15, but not sure. Can anyone confirm? Also, for #10, there is also a #1 that goes with it that is the seal that is not shown on the Tein diagram, but is shown on the acura diagram. Does anyone know if I need that?

Thanks for your help.
Yes you are correct. You need # 14 for the front and #15 for the rear. It's a special washer that comes off the old suspension and sits on the thicker part of shaft on the damper.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:03 PM
New shoes on my

^^^ Thanks Josh!

Ok, just a few more questions, bare with me! I received the coilovers today, and they came with the silver click knobs, but not installed (since the EDFC was used with these). I'd like to reinstall the click knobs since I won't be using the EDFC right away until I find some more time to install it. My questions are teh following:

1. The EDFC manual says to remove the small black screw with the hex head inside the piston shaft, and to replace with the similar screws from their kit. Are these screws actually different? How do I know which are the ones to use with the EDFC and which aren't?

2. What are the propper steps to putting the black screw and the silver clicks back in place? I don't want to jam anything in there too far and mess up the adjustments.

Thanks in advance for your help again!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:22 PM
New shoes on my

BUMP! and one more question:

On the a-spec suspension install instructions, there is an indexing tab on the shock so it can only be installed in one orientation. There is also a L and R front. I don't see any indexing tabs on these nor do I see and L or R markings, so can I safely assume that you can install these on either side, and rotate them in any direction?

Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:25 AM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah you are good to go. BTW I hate you!!! your car looks so nice now making me jealous. ;p
Old 06-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
you can reuse you stock shock tower nuts. That is perfectly fine.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Former Sponsor

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Honda-Gen...S-pr-4815.html

If you wanna buy new hats. All the homework done for you. We include the 14 and 15 washers.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Former Sponsor

^^^ Thanks Josh!

Ok, just a few more questions, bare with me! I received the coilovers today, and they came with the silver click knobs, but not installed (since the EDFC was used with these). I'd like to reinstall the click knobs since I won't be using the EDFC right away until I find some more time to install it. My questions are teh following:

1. The EDFC manual says to remove the small black screw with the hex head inside the piston shaft, and to replace with the similar screws from their kit. Are these screws actually different? How do I know which are the ones to use with the EDFC and which aren't?

2. What are the propper steps to putting the black screw and the silver clicks back in place? I don't want to jam anything in there too far and mess up the adjustments.

Thanks in advance for your help again!

1- The black hex screw does not need to be swapped out. The one in the edfc kit is identical to the one in the shock already.

2- To install the clicker follow the same exact steps as installing an EDFC motor

Marcus
Old 06-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

BUMP! and one more question:

On the a-spec suspension install instructions, there is an indexing tab on the shock so it can only be installed in one orientation. There is also a L and R front. I don't see any indexing tabs on these nor do I see and L or R markings, so can I safely assume that you can install these on either side, and rotate them in any direction?

Thanks again!

They Teins do not have an indexing tab so you can install the hats in any orientation without any issues at all. Nor do they have specific rights and lets. You are correct on both counts.

More tips:

- When installing, remove the stock shock assemblies from both sides (left and right) before trying to install the Teins. This will make things go a lot smoother than trying to do one corner at a time.

- In the front, turn the wheel in the direction of the side you are working on (if you are on left corner working turn the wheel left). This will move the steering tie rod down a little. This will give you more room to undo the shock fork bolt, and will make it a LOT easier to remove the stock shock by moving it over the tie rod end toward the rear of the car.

- It is easiest to remove the rear shocks by leaving the sway bar bracket in place and removing the sway bar endlink from the bracket. Make sure you retighten all the way otherwise you'll get a noise.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:36 PM
New shoes on my

Originally Posted by anarchy[sear]
Yeah you are good to go. BTW I hate you!!! your car looks so nice now making me jealous. ;p
Haha, thank you! I put alot of thought into things and really want the car to if not be as great as some of the big player on here, at least hang with them!

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
you can reuse you stock shock tower nuts. That is perfectly fine.
Perfect. Thanks. I inspected the ones that came with the kit that were on the original car and I couldn't find any reason why I wouldn't be able to use them.

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Honda-Gen...S-pr-4815.html

If you wanna buy new hats. All the homework done for you. We include the 14 and 15 washers.
I actually ordered already from Acuraoempars.com, but this was on Monday and nothing has shipped yet. If I don't get a shipping notification by Monday, I'm ordering from you. I want to get these in by the end of next week!

1- The black hex screw does not need to be swapped out. The one in the edfc kit is identical to the one in the shock already.

2- To install the clicker follow the same exact steps as installing an EDFC motor

Marcus
Perfect, so if I turn the click all the way counter clockwise until it wont go anymore, is that the softest setting? Then I can go 16 clicks clockwise to the hardest? I jstu watn to make sure I have the timing right on these.

They Teins do not have an indexing tab so you can install the hats in any orientation without any issues at all. Nor do they have specific rights and lets. You are correct on both counts.

More tips:

- When installing, remove the stock shock assemblies from both sides (left and right) before trying to install the Teins. This will make things go a lot smoother than trying to do one corner at a time.

- In the front, turn the wheel in the direction of the side you are working on (if you are on left corner working turn the wheel left). This will move the steering tie rod down a little. This will give you more room to undo the shock fork bolt, and will make it a LOT easier to remove the stock shock by moving it over the tie rod end toward the rear of the car.

- It is easiest to remove the rear shocks by leaving the sway bar bracket in place and removing the sway bar endlink from the bracket. Make sure you retighten all the way otherwise you'll get a noise.
Marcus, you've been a GREAT help. Thank you SOOOO much!