The Bridgestone Turanza EL42 Possible Closeout ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The Bridgestone Turanza EL42 Possible Closeout ?

Is on sale from Tire Rack. Is it a sale of existing stock or to make room for a new version of the tire that has beem the topic of many posts ?

Make sure that you read the article and scrol down for the stats and customer sastisfaction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....num=345WR7EL42
Old 04-21-2004, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Unhappy

Originally Posted by cypwood1
Is on sale from Tire Rack. Is it a sale of existing stock or to make room for a new version of the tire that has beem the topic of many posts ?

Make sure that you read the article and scrol down for the stats and customer sastisfaction.

I just pulled these reviews from the Tire Rack page for the EL42.

Most Recent Reviews of the Bridgestone Turanza EL42 Go to page for this tire | Write a review for this tire

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Driving Style: Average
Miles driven on tires: 550 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: insufficient data out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-04-18

After just purchasing my TL, Ive been back to the dealer twice already regarding the vibration and rough ride. Theyve even realligned and rebalanced my tires, AND replaced my torque converter to try to relieve the vibration. I guess theyre not aware of this website! A very frustrating ride!!!! Definately would not purchase if I had a choice. I havent even made my second payment on the car; Im going to demand that the dealer put on some high quality tires. Its really made me question Acuras standards.

Miles driven on tires: 2,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 3.71 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-04-15

What was Acura thinking. A $32k car that is one of the best on the road yet they put tires that feel like they should be on Fred Flinstones car. Noise is unbeleivable, wet traction is poor and they flat spot.

Vehicle: 2001 Honda Accord Sedan LX V6
Miles driven on tires: 46,000 Driving Condition: Mostly Highway
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 4.00 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-04-12

Honda OE. Noticably poor in all conditions and very poor in the wet. Offer little cornering grip. Unfortunately seem to last forever.

Vehicle: 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE
Driving Style: Spirited
Miles driven on tires: 51,000 Driving Condition: Mostly Highway
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 6.75 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-04-11

Since everyone bashes this tire, I figured Id put in something to the contrary. These were OEM on my Nissan. Roadnoise and lack of wet traction was a bit of a problem, but I never had any issues with these tires. I replaced them at 51,000 miles, and still had tread to spare. Good tire, but for a few more dollars, can get a more high performance oriented tire.

Vehicle: 1999 BMW 740iL
Miles driven on tires: 10,500 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 6.75 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-04-10

I have these tires and wheels from a new model(2003) 745i. They have been very good tires for the most part. The traction control on the car kicks in most of the time before the tires have a chance to break free. I consistenly turn off tractional control when I want to drift my big boat through a corner. These have been very predictable tires and have not had any problems with them. BMW has found these tires to be good enough for their flagship model. I have enjoyed them as well. Although I will upgrade to a higher performance tire when these are worn down, which wont be too long with my heavy foot.

Vehicle: 2004 Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Miles driven on tires: 5,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 5.88 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-04-07

5000 miles into the OEM set, I hit a *huge* pothole. It ate the RF and theres a blister the size of my finger on the RR. During that initial 5000 miles however, I had a chance to drive in rain and snow and all manner of other stuff. When it rains, ABS kicks in even on some tame stops and I do get some spin when leaving uphill traffic lights. Those white "stop lines" get slick around here, and once the wheels start spinning they just dont want to grab. Snow handling wasnt that bad, and I was able to claw my way up decent size hills with minimal spin and side-slip. That said, my old car was a Subaru so I dont even try to push this front-wheeler very hard in the snow. Overall, its a decent OEM tire, but when I have to replace all four, it will be with something else.

Miles driven on tires: 6,200 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 5.00 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-03-24

These tires could not be a worse match for this car. With so many other better tires available form Bridgestone, why Acura choose these I dont understand. In the snow they are dangerous. In the rain, at highway speeds, they are ok. But in heavy rain, in off camber turns, they are scary! I dont drive like my grandma, but safely assertive. I had the same experience with the OEM tires on my Accord too. I have switched to the Turanza line of Bridgestone tires, and the differnce in both cars is nothing short of remarkable. As bad as the EL42 tires are, the Turanzas are that good. No they are not snow tires, but they will not leave me parked in a snow bank. My Blizzaks are simply the best snow tires available on the market. The noise levels with the EL42s are horrendous. On asphalt, they are ok, but on concrete they are NOISY!!!!!! Rumbles, and droning are the common characteristics in the TL. Turn in is good, but dangerous when wet. DO NOT BUY THESE TIRES! If they are OEM stock, replace them ASAP! Its cheaper to do that than have an accident in your new car. Until you replace these tires on your car, drive as if grandma is in the back seat.

Miles driven on tires: 5,975 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 3.89 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-03-22

What was Acura thinking when they selected this tire for the 2004 TL. With so many better options available from Bridgestone, why this one? Clearly someone got paid for this decision! For such a capable car, with the available performance, this tire is a complete mis-match. Im not sure what car it would be good for, but not the Acura TL. It seems that my opinion is shared with others. I will likely replace them with the Turanza LSZ, but this does not bode well for Bridgestone. Snow traction is an oximoron. Its like saying Military Inteligence. These tires are absolutely dangerous in the snow, barely passable in the rain, and noisy. No I mean NOISY! Clearly I did not hear how loud they were on the test drive, but on concrete, there must be at least a 10 db increase over asphalt. In dry conditions, I would rate them as acceptable. Turn in is ok, but scary when one wheel is wet and the other dry. In general terms, if you had a choice between this tire and a worn out, cupped, used no-name brand tire, I would go with the other option. DO NOT BUY THIS TIRE!!!!!!!!

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL 6-Speed
Miles driven on tires: 1,300 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 3.44 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-03-19

These tires bite. They flatspot, vibrate, spin-out on mild accerlation and just plain suck. I talked to the dealer about them and they just shook their heads and said no one has complained. I showed them all of the negative reviews on tire rack, and they again just shook their heads. Its a shame that such a piece of crap tire would come on a nice vehicle. I am looking at the Bridgestone LS series, but they are moocho denario. I shouldnt have to buck up for new tires on a new car, but I cant stand these pieces of crap any longer. DO NOT BUY THESE TIRES!!!!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport
Miles driven on tires: 22,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 5.11 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-03-11

vehicle slides all over the road in snow. Heavy rain causes vehicle to slide too. Absolutely hated having my wife and kids drive with these tires.

Miles driven on tires: 1,500 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 6.83 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-03-08

Original equipment on 2004 Acura TL. Common knowledge is flatspotting, vibration, drumming, etc.

Vehicle: 2002 Nissan Maxima GLE
Miles driven on tires: 46,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 4.78 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-02-25

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who does not like this tire. I noticed immediately the lack of wet traction when I bought the car and they were the OEM equipment on the vehicle. I have driven this car in snow also and they really suck. They are okay for dry traction, but they do not give me much confidence for more aggressive driving, especially in turns. I get a lot of torque steer since there is 255HP in the front wheels, but I did not expect them to slip as much. These tires are marginal dry and are really poor in the rain. I would not recommend anyone buy these tires and if you can afford to replace them if they come as OEM, go ahead and do it. Dont waste your time with these tires!

Vehicle: 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan
Miles driven on tires: 35,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 6.11 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-02-24

These tires have finally reached the end of their useful life (about 1/8" tread left). They have been the best set of OEM tires I have ever had (Goodyear RSAs on previous cars). However, they do have some problems. Road noise has increased with milage and wet traction has decreased. As the tread got shorter, the dry traction has increased marginally (probably due to shorter tread only). I have been surprised with the milage I have acheived with these tires considering the "260 A A" ratings they have. However, I DO keep the tire pressure high (40-44lbs cold) to improve handling, gas milage, and tread wear. With a performance sedan like this, Im definitely going to step up to a high-performance tire like the S-03s or Goodyear F1 GS-D3s (probably the Goodyears due to treadwear and the S-03s for the next set). Scott

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Caravan Sport
Miles driven on tires: 15,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 8.00 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-02-20

OEM tire on our Caravan. We have over 15,000 miles on them and they have been fine. This is the 2nd Minnesota winter, and they do fine in the snow. They are quiet on the hwy, and seem to do well in the wet weather as well. Tread is still like new after 2 years, 15,000 miles and not having been rotated. I am replacing one tire due to a piece of debris in the road that cut one of them.

Vehicle: 2000 Lincoln LS V8
Miles driven on tires: 30,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 3.67 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-02-18

Well these tires have lasted a long time, and there appears to still be at least half of the tread left. They were stock on the lincoln that I got used. Driving in toronto is not like driving in Texas, hence if you want to surrvive in the winter with any amount of snow do not get these tires. If there happens to be any ice.... 90 deg fishtail at 10 km/h, if you get started at all. I dont understand how Lincolns sent to Canada can possibly be equiped with this tire.

Miles driven on tires: 50 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 4.00 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-02-08

Just picked up my new Acura TL with Bridgestone Turanza EL42 tires. When I got home I could not get up my driveway, with less than an inch of snow on it. My previous vehicle had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and they were superb in the snow. The wife has Bridgestone Portenza RE900 tires on a 1995 Mercury Mystique and she has not had any problems. The Turanza EL42 tires are useless in the snow. It is criminal that they are labeled all-season.

Vehicle: 2003 Chrysler Town & Country LXI Standard Model
Miles driven on tires: 14,000 Driving Condition: Mostly City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 3.89 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-02-05

While my tires still have a lot of tread, they have very little traction. When driving in snow, the ABS is constantly kicking in. Dry traction is also terrible. The tires will spin when accelerating from a stop, especially if there is any residual salt on the road. I asked the dealer why my $35,000 van had a BB rated tire. He said they changed manufacturers. My other two Chrysler vans had Michelin AA rated tire which never gave me any problems.

Miles driven on tires: 3,800 Driving Condition: Mostly Highway
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 3.43 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-02-04

I agree with most of the comments regarding the subpar performance of the Bridgestone Turanza EL42s. These are probably the worst tires I have ever owned. I am very surprised that Acura would use these horrendous tires as original equipment on what is supposed to be an uplevel sports sedan. From annoying flatspotting to outright dangerous wet traction, these tires are simply awful. I will be replacing them immediately with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

Miles driven on tires: 3,500 Driving Condition: Mostly Highway
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 4.12 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-01-31

I am in agreement with the other negative reviews of the Turanza EL42s. They are the worst Bridgestone Tires I have ever had on any vehicle. From flat-spotting to outright dangerous wet traction, these tires are not what I would have expected from Acura. I have already ordered a set of Michelin Pilot A/S Sports, which will be mounted on my car by the end of next week.

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan ES
Miles driven on tires: 21,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 4.89 out of 10
Review Submitted 2004-01-28

Turanza EL42s were original issue on our new Grand Caravan. They got us through the summer travel season just fine, 14,000 miles in 4 months of smooth riding on the open highway. However, during a particularly powerful rain, I had a sense of poor control on the interstate and had to pull over for a while. This was confirmed this winter with January snows and almost no traction. My wife could not even get up a gradual incline and was embarassed to watch the other moms drive by in similar vehicles with no problems. Still many service miles left on these tires, but I am getting rid of them immediately in favor of a all season brand with a much higher snow traction rating.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just dump them on Acura, they sell 7000 sets a month on TL's. Someone negotiated some sweetheart deal for the TL to switch from a world class tire like Michelin to the EL-42 disaster. Must have been one hell of a kickback
Old 06-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Advanced

I am fairly new to this forum and there is tons of great information available here. Glad I found the place! One common complaint I have found is regarding the Turanza tires that are OEM on the vehicle. We have only had our car for two weeks and the only day it was in the rain was the day we picked it up. Light rain that only got the car dirty on the way home from the dealership. I have seen some mention of the Hunter9700 Road Force balancer here regarding the vibration problems some are experiencing. If the dealer can't fix it for you you may want to recommend they foot the bill to take the car to a shop that has the proper equipment. Web site: http://209.176.154.132/index.cfm

As far as the hydroplaning problems on wet roads, possibly everyone with concerns should open a complaint on the NHTSA web site. This may force Acura, Infinity, Honda, and Nissan to replcae the OEM tires for everyone on their dime instead of the consumer.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Balance or not -- the tires are crap. I had my second set done on a Hunter 9700, but that lasted for two days.

I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S after two sets of the disasterous EL-42's.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Racer

Law Suit

My attorney filed a law suit against Honda motor company due to the EL42's. I will inform what happens
Old 06-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Shouldn't the suit be against Bridgestone for engineering such a crappy tire? It'd be just another tire suit for them.... (remember the Ford Explorer fiasco?)
Old 06-13-2004, 07:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicki
My attorney filed a law suit against Honda motor company due to the EL42's. I will inform what happens
Cool, what kind of suit is it ? Liability, did you suffer a loss ? or some other tye of action.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:19 PM
Cruisin'

Good suggestion ... I just filed my complaint with the NHTSA. It only took about 3 minutes on the web. I was disapointed to see that there are only 2 complaints filed about this tire. How about we all get going and give the NHTSA something to think about. The web address is
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/. The text of my complaint is as follows:

This complaint refers to the original equipment tires (Bridgestone EL-42, 235/45-17 93W ) supplied on the 2004 Acura TL with 5 speed automatic transmission. After just a short time I have found this tire to be entirely unsafe and unsuitable to this vehicle. I believe that both Acura and Bridgestone should be held responsible for replacing this tire on all existing vehicle. This tire exhibits unsafe characteristics in wet weather, with noticeable drift and hydroplaning in any amount of standing water, even as little as 1/16 inch. In heavy rains, even with no standing water present, the tire seems incapable of dispersing water as quickly as it falls, again leading to vehicle instability. From a ride quality point of view the tire is also unsatisfactory in that it flat spots every morning, especially in cool weather but even in warmer weather as well, leading to vibrations in the initial miles of any drive. It is also especially harsh over roadway expansion joints, and is so loud on concrete pavements that it poses a safety hazard due to driver fatigue induced by the continuous noise. I also understand that there may be an issue regarding the rating as an "all season tire" with many owners reporting that this tire is virtually useless in any kind of snow conditions
Old 06-29-2004, 10:47 AM
loves his TL!

interesting ... my 04 TL came with Bridgestone Potenza RE030's. no complaints, handles great!
Old 09-21-2004, 01:35 PM
I'd rather be driving:

Turanza EL42

Potenza RE030

Completely different tires.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
omg, the el42 we got bite; they r dangerous and handle poorly. the pilots or ziexs are much better choices!
Old 09-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
omg, the el42 we got bite; they r dangerous and handle poorly. the pilots or ziexs are much better choices!
Hww are you defining this? I'm a pretty good driver, and even push my car pretty hard through corners from time to time. I have had no problems with them acting dangerously or handling poorly. Sure, there may be better tires, but that can be said of most OEM tires.

Please explain in more detail.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
srry jjsc5, what i ment was that in rain, they are prone to slip and drift even with the limitedslip on the 6speed and even with an allseason tread. We hav only had 4000 miles and the tread is very low they are overrated for the price (over 200) and wouldnt get them. they re ok but wouldnt trust them
Old 09-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Im going to demand that the dealer put on some high quality tires.
yeah, they will do that for you.

btw, i m going to demand bill gates transfer 50% of his stocks to me.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Cruisin'

2005 Tl

I read the bad reviiews of the Bridgestones and when I priced my 05 TL I found most were now equipted with Michelin Pilots at least here in So. Califonia
Old 03-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to the forum, brooklynbob

Hopefully, Acura would really make this happen to all of dealers nationalwide.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:10 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
my bridgestones blew out on me while i was driving on the freeway. luckily it was the rear driver side tire so i was able to make it to the side of the road without too many problems although it scratched the shit out of my rim.

Old 04-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Advanced

After picking up my new 05 3 weeks ago I was pretty concerned about all the threads on the El42s which are on mine. After checking the code on the tires to confirm I had the newer ones, I gotta tell you I love how they handle. Been on wet roads and noticed none of the skidding characteristics that many others did. And I can't comprehend new tires wearing out after 15 to 20,000 miles but I guess time will tell. Bottom line is the new Tirenza's shouldn't cause you to believe their an accident waiting to happen..........