Bridgestone Potenza RE760?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza RE760?

I know Summer is far away, Winter is just here. But I need to know about these particular tires. I understand they have quite the grip for an inexpensive set of summer tires, but need to know if anyone experienced these tires on any car at all, doesn't matter if its not a TL. If so, how has your experience been?

I will be ordering them in advance to get a good deal right away. I am planning to go for 255/45/18 all around, wide but good enough for 18x8.5 A-Specs right? I don't want curb rash trouble so I heard wider tire helps to avoid it in certain ways...

I am done with low-profile tires, cannot stand the ride discomfort even at this age. I am lowered on TEIN Basics (factory recommended setup) during the summer. Let me know your opinions or if you know anything about these tires. I have gone through some reviews and everything seemed positive. Are these tires better than Falken 452's? I basically want a much more comfortable and stable setup with good grip and good longevity. Recommend any other summer setup that will go for under $1000 (set of 4) as well.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by auto_freak
I am planning to go for 255/45/18 all around, wide but good enough for 18x8.5 A-Specs right? I don't want curb rash trouble so I heard wider tire helps to avoid it in certain ways...

I am done with low-profile tires, cannot stand the ride discomfort even at this age. I am lowered on TEIN Basics (factory recommended setup) during the summer. Let me know your opinions or if you know anything about these tires. I have gone through some reviews and everything seemed positive. Are these tires better than Falken 452's? I basically want a much more comfortable and stable setup with good grip and good longevity. Recommend any other summer setup that will go for under $1000 (set of 4) as well.
Sorry, don't have any feedback about the tires, but at 27.1" tall, almost 2" taller than a 235/45-17 and @1.5" taller than a 245/40-18, I'd certainly make absolutely certain this is the size you want as it may look, let's say unusual.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Food For Thought:
Just looked up the 760 and in the 255/45-18 size the load rating is 99, pretty hefty tire, so big is not always better. The son in law put some 265/65-17 on their Grand Cherokee, ride is horrible and when it encounters a sharp ridge in the road the rear will actually lift off the ground, no give. The original Jeep tires were 103 and the replacements are 110, just to give you an example. Look for a tire with the standard load range 93, not an XL. Even the 245/40-18 760 is a 97 XL, stiff tire.

Examine the tire before purchase and you'll be able to see the carcass resistance by trying to push inward on the tread while the tire is standing upright, naturally unmounted. Some will give slightly while others are stiff and afford no movement.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:16 AM
is in Honda heaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the RE750 which I would think is very similar just a little older and they were great for the summer. They're very sticky and worked great in the rain as well. Here's a pic of mine

Old 11-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know Summer is far away, Winter is just here. But I need to know about these particular tires. I understand they have quite the grip for an inexpensive set of summer tires, but need to know if anyone experienced these tires on any car at all, doesn't matter if its not a TL. If so, how has your experience been?

I will be ordering them in advance to get a good deal right away. I am planning to go for 255/45/18 all around, wide but good enough for 18x8.5 A-Specs right? I don't want curb rash trouble so I heard wider tire helps to avoid it in certain ways...

I was thinking about the RE760s as my next set of Summer tires (before I got rid of my TL-S) as the local Costco has great pricing on them. A fellow co-worker has them on his TSX, he loves them (great in the wet) but said that they do wear out very quickly...he's a fairly spirited driver.

I'm still of the opinion that a good quality UHP All Season is the way to go for us up here. The Yoko Avid W4S that I had was a great tire and their replacement the Envigor W looks interesting. UHP AS tires offers more than enough grip for these cars for 99% of driving, they wear longer than a max Summer tire and you can run them until first snowfall and they won't turn into hockey pucks below -5C.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Derk's K24
I've got the RE750 which I would think is very similar just a little older and they were great for the summer. They're very sticky and worked great in the rain as well. Here's a pic of mine

What was the profile on those tires? looks real nice on the TL-S rims.

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
I was thinking about the RE760s as my next set of Summer tires (before I got rid of my TL-S) as the local Costco has great pricing on them. A fellow co-worker has them on his TSX, he loves them (great in the wet) but said that they do wear out very quickly...he's a fairly spirited driver.

I'm still of the opinion that a good quality UHP All Season is the way to go for us up here. The Yoko Avid W4S that I had was a great tire and their replacement the Envigor W looks interesting. UHP AS tires offers more than enough grip for these cars for 99% of driving, they wear longer than a max Summer tire and you can run them until first snowfall and they won't turn into hockey pucks below -5C.
haha well said. Yeah, I think I wont mind if it wears out quicker than usual summer tires as long as it gives the right performance. Since they seemed cheap, I was thinking they were low quality tires. I have had it with all-seasons, bought ZE-912s last summer, absolutely the worst tires, each pothole can be felt and I was not even lowered. I already put on my winter setup and I am loving the current setup (235/45/17) but like others in this thread said, I need to get the absolute right size. I don't mind how tall they seem, if its awkward then obviously I wont get it.

I suppose I will have to research on the load rating and other specs of these tires to understand their characteristics. Nonetheless, I saw this tirerack comparison and it seems they rated the Potenza RE760's at 4th place while the Michelin PS2 and Dunlops lead the rest.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...0_sport_page_8
Old 11-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
If you want a no compromise summer tire, check out the NT05 too.

I would do a 255/40/18. A 255/45 is going to be very tall. 255/40 will still be a bit taller than the stock 235/40 tires.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Racer

wow looks almost like slick tires...similar prices compared to the Bridgestones. My question is, I currently have 235/40/18 falken tires and the ride was terrible, every bumps and potholes were noticeable. It wasn't comfortable at all, I am thinking whether it was because of the sidewall aspect ratio being lower than stock which is 45.

Or maybe it was because I was riding on 18" compared to 17". I am not sure what it was. So do you think the 40 sidewall ratio will still be as uncomfortable as my falkens? My winter setup on the stock 17 inch rims is so much more comfortable, not sure whether its because of 17 inch rims or the 235/45 tire size.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

wow looks almost like slick tires...similar prices compared to the Bridgestones. My question is, I currently have 235/40/18 falken tires and the ride was terrible, every bumps and potholes were noticeable. It wasn't comfortable at all, I am thinking whether it was because of the sidewall aspect ratio being lower than stock which is 45.

Or maybe it was because I was riding on 18" compared to 17". I am not sure what it was. So do you think the 40 sidewall ratio will still be as uncomfortable as my falkens? My winter setup on the stock 17 inch rims is so much more comfortable, not sure whether its because of 17 inch rims or the 235/45 tire size.
That picture was with about 20,000 miles on them. Here they are new:

If you stick with the 40 series but do a 255, your tire will be taller. A 40 series means the sidewall is 40% as tall as the width of the tread so going wider with the same aspect ratio will also give you a taller tire.

The factory 17" tires were a 235/45/17 while the OEM a-spec 18s were a 235/40/18.

Tire construction and type will play a large roll in how it feels. Almost as much as the sidewall will.

The NT05 tire has a very compliant sidewall for the amazing turn-in crispness and response but it's still fairly stiff.

That's one big advantage of a tire with very large treadblocks toward the shoulder.... The sidewall does not have to be as stiff to get the same cornering response.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Racer

Thanks for all the info, got a good quoted offer for these tires in Canada, apparently they have a clearance sale, might just grab them right away. The Potenzas are cheaper but these Nittos seem to have a better rep. for good handling and overall a good bang for the buck.

Quoted Price:
235/40ZR18 $248
245/40ZR18 $259

Do you recommend having 225/235 at front and 245 in the rears or should it be the same pattern all around? There seems to be no 255/40/18s on any of the online tire stores. Are the NT05's good on the rain as well?

Last edited by auto_freak; 11-27-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for all the info, got a good quoted offer for these tires in Canada, apparently they have a clearance sale, might just grab them right away. The Potenzas are cheaper but these Nittos seem to have a better rep. for good handling and overall a good bang for the buck.

Quoted Price:
235/40ZR18 $248
245/40ZR18 $259

Do you recommend having 225/235 at front and 245 in the rears or should it be the same pattern all around? There seems to be no 255/40/18s on any of the online tire stores. Are the NT05's good on the rain as well?
Very good in the wet. Average at standing water (hydroplaning resistance). I have no issues going down the freeway at 65-70mph on them with small puddles. Cornering and braking grip in the wet is very good. I hit a deep puddle once at about 70mph (didn't see it) and it didn't actually hydroplane but it got very light, enough to make me real nervous.

Those prices don't look that good but I know everything is more expensive in Canada. Originally I got mine for $850 for a set of 4 online. I found a place hurting for business that will give me a set of 4 for $650 out the door mounted, balanced, and taxes. Tire shops have a lot of room for bargaining if you have the time to do it.

You definately want the same size all around. Don't worry too much about the narrower size. These tires have the highest tread to void area of any tire out there so you will still have a ton of rubber on the ground. Besides, the compound is more important than the width.

I don't recommend these in the snow at all. There's probably nothing worse out there for the snow.

They also only come with 6/32nd tread. I've managed to get over 20,000 miles out of them but I've read where some people get 10,000. I can also run them to a lower tread depth because it hardly ever rains around here.

The only real competition in the same price range is the Direzza Star Spec tires. From what I've read they're very good tires but most people who have run both usually give the nod to the NT05.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Racer

Thanks again, I come to NJ/Philly area every now and then, will be visiting this December so might as well pick these tires up from the store that can give them for $650. Is it located anywhere in the East Coast or is it somewhere else? I will be going for 245/40/18.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Team Owner

Thanks again, I come to NJ/Philly area every now and then, will be visiting this December so might as well pick these tires up from the store that can give them for $650. Is it located anywhere in the East Coast or is it somewhere else? I will be going for 245/40/18.
The place I get them from is on the West Coast. I can see if they would be willing to give the same deal to you. They're basically giving me the wholesale price. Not sure what shipping would be like though.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Get the Hankook Ventus V12, best tire overall out of any tire.

I'd recommend going to Discount Tire for the tires by doing this:

Go match the price online to Discount Tire DIRECT.

Ask Discount Tire Direct about there deal with Replacement Certificates (They gave me $30 off). Get that invoice with the online match price and discount for certificates and free shipping.

Bring it to Discount Tire store and make them price match the exact same invoice (my ended up even cheaper by a few bucks) and you only pay that and the mounting and balancing which is only $64 (lifetime rotation + balancing). Found this to be the BEST method possible.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:32 AM
Racer

This is even a nicer comparison for the NITTO branded tires, mostly good performance ratings truthfully stated by Nitto themselves.

http://www.nittotire.com/index.html#...e.invo.compare

I am looking at the NT555 and the INVO tires for a complete comparison with NT05's. As for the Hankook tires, I already have a Hankook winter tire and not looking for another Hankook summer tire.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Team Owner

This is even a nicer comparison for the NITTO branded tires, mostly good performance ratings truthfully stated by Nitto themselves.

http://www.nittotire.com/index.html#...e.invo.compare

I am looking at the NT555 and the INVO tires for a complete comparison with NT05's. As for the Hankook tires, I already have a Hankook winter tire and not looking for another Hankook summer tire.

Just a little more on my NT05 experience...

Alignment is crucial. It's important for any tire but as you get into these soft tires, they will wear much quicker if your alignment is not perfect.

Mine were extremely quiet when new. They have a high pitched sound at about 45mph but they're as quiet as stock.

At one point my alignment was screwed up by the bodyshop. Toe was 5 degrees off. They feathered in the rear and got noisy. My fronts are nearly to the wear markers and they're still quiet. Noisier than brand new but still quiet overall.

You will get a little more noise when going over expansion joints and sharp jolts than OEM.

The turn-in is seriously as sharp as a full race tire. I've never experienced a street tire with this kind of turn-in.

When you get near the limit, they squeal just a little, letting you know you're there. The thing that's really good for the street is that when they break free, the slide is very easy to control. Many tires with this kind of grip break free abruptly and it's hard to keep control of the car.

These tires are awesome for the track. Most street tires get greasy and start losing grip from the heat generated by a heavy car like the TL. These just keep gripping and gripping.

I've had one street tire come close in braking, it was the BFG G-force KDW-2. They just about matched the NT05 in braking but they could not match the cornering and they were so noisy that I replaced them with over 50% of the tread left. They also had a very stiff sidewall.

There are tires that can beat these in a single category (but very few) but none that can match the overall package.

The only thing that makes me nervous recommending them is your climate. What's the temp like in the summer up there?
Old 11-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I am done with low-profile tires, cannot stand the ride discomfort even at this age. I basically want a much more comfortable and stable setup with good grip and good longevity.
^If this is your criteria, the Nittos or any other tracked focused tire would be my absolute last choice as these types of tires have much stiffer sidewalls than the highest performance AS tire which are great for extreme cornering on the track (or the nice flat unbroken roads of California) but not great for comfort on the frost-heaved broken roads of Ontario. And they will turn into hockey pucks in the Spring/Fall.

Seems like you're going polar opposite in picking your tire than what you had stated as your wants.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,930 Posts
I've been running these since February 2010 and have been very happy with them. Even better performance than my Goodyear Eagle GS1-D3's and they are more quiet. I'd recommend them.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:54 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
After my shitty OEMs blew out I went with the RE750s until those tires were replaced by the 760s. I've used them for well over 100k
Old 11-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Racer

^If this is your criteria, the Nittos or any other tracked focused tire would be my absolute last choice as these types of tires have much stiffer sidewalls than the highest performance AS tire which are great for extreme cornering on the track (or the nice flat unbroken roads of California) but not great for comfort on the frost-heaved broken roads of Ontario. And they will turn into hockey pucks in the Spring/Fall.

Seems like you're going polar opposite in picking your tire than what you had stated as your wants.
So in that case, the Bridgestone RE760's are still the best option right? I know the Nitto INVO is a very comfortable set of tires for most luxury cars. I always change my tires to the winter setup as soon as it gets sort of cold around here. Basically, I am looking for a good set of tires that is comfortable yet has good grip. Michelin PS2/Bridgestone RE760 are mostly the industry standards, so what would you recommend besides these?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by subinf
After my shitty OEMs blew out I went with the RE750s until those tires were replaced by the 760s. I've used them for well over 100k
Any further inputs on the RE760's please?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 PM
One on the right for me

Little more noise than OEM tires, work well in wet/dry but are not the greatest in snow. I make plenty of trips up to Tahoe but probably not the best tires to have on the car. The tires last a long time.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Team Owner

So in that case, the Bridgestone RE760's are still the best option right? I know the Nitto INVO is a very comfortable set of tires for most luxury cars. I always change my tires to the winter setup as soon as it gets sort of cold around here. Basically, I am looking for a good set of tires that is comfortable yet has good grip. Michelin PS2/Bridgestone RE760 are mostly the industry standards, so what would you recommend besides these?
Any tire in the max/ultra performance summer category are going to have similar comfort and sidewall stiffness.

I know for a fact the NT05 is softer than the PS2 as any C6 Corvette owner will tell you yet it has better response and turn-in.

If comfort is really important it might be best to take a step down to a lower performance category like some performance all seasons.

As for the diameter....

Your current tires are 25.40 overall diameter
A 245/40 is 25.71"
A 255/40 is 26.03"
A 245/45 is 26.68"
A 255/45 is 27.03"

A 245/45/18 may be what you want with just over half an inch extra on the rim. This way you could pick a summer tire and get decent comfort.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Intermediate

My bridgeys are excellent.(760's) Great grip and very quiet. I have 0 negative things to say about them. I'm sure to get at least 40k out of them. I ride a stock setup if that matters at all to you.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:56 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i like my bfg kdw's more than the potenzas i had. they ride softer and wear slower than the potenzas. the turn in is amazing and confidence inspiring to say the least. YOU WILL NOT REGRET THESE
Old 11-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phee
i like my bfg kdw's more than the potenzas i had. they ride softer and wear slower than the potenzas. the turn in is amazing and confidence inspiring to say the least. YOU WILL NOT REGRET THESE
Great tires but I could not carry on a conversation inside the car. I was broke at the time but still replaced them with over half the tread left just to get them off the car.

You are talking about the KDW-2, right? If it's the regular KDW (which I thought they quit making), you're right, great tire. I have them on the front of the GN.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Burning Brakes

The reality is that any low profile, high performance tire (Max Summer or UHP All-Season) will ride more harshly than a "Grand Touring" tire which is geared for quiet, comfortable operation. There is no "one tire fits all" application...it's all about compromises. Especially on a lowered car which will be riding on 18" wheels. If you felt that the Falken Ziex AS rode rough, then I don't think that you're going to be pleased with a max performance Summer tire as they will ride rougher. Sure you'll have grip, but honestly how often will you use it to the limit? A high perfpormance AS tire will provide you with 4/5s of the performance but with great wear and comfort capability.

IMO...Again, I'd look at a UHP All-Season tire like a Michelin Pilot Sport AS, Continental ContiExtreme AS, Bridgestone Potenza 960AS, etc which will give you the performance that you're looking for and the comfort/longevity that you want. Seriously, unless you are tracking the car you won't even approach the limits of what a high end Max Performance Summer tire is capable of, on the street. But you'll encounter its downsides which are accelerated wear and harsh ride.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Racer

I have to go for the RE760's, have heard that these are comfortable tires even for a summer tire, so might as well try them on.

I will be going for the 245/45/18 if the 255/45/18 seem to be to tall for my lowered setup. Looking for a honest Bridgestone dealer in T.O. for now, most folks carry Michelins, Hankooks and Goodyear tires.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I have to go for the RE760's, have heard that these are comfortable tires even for a summer tire, so might as well try them on.

I will be going for the 245/45/18 if the 255/45/18 seem to be to tall for my lowered setup. Looking for a honest Bridgestone dealer in T.O. for now, most folks carry Michelins, Hankooks and Goodyear tires.
Costco carries Bridgestone...good prices and they will have rebates on the 760 in the Spring (usually $70 - $80 off on a set of 4). As far as sizing, I'd go with a 245/40/18.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:48 PM

As far as sizing, I'd go with a 245/40/18.
X2, that's what I'm currently running.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ttribe
X2, that's what I'm currently running.
Costco carries Bridgestone...good prices and they will have rebates on the 760 in the Spring (usually $70 - $80 off on a set of 4). As far as sizing, I'd go with a 245/40/18.
Well my only concern with the 245/40/18 setup is the aspect ratio is smaller, meaning its more of a lower profile setup. I ran 235/40/18s and honestly, the setup I currently run just feels smoother and bumps are not felt that much. 40 would be cheaper and would look better but my instinct says it would be a lot more bumpier, how about ttribe, are your tires comfortable enough? Or is it stiffer than normal stock setup?

Thanks for the costco link, I am not a member there but I found some local authorized dealers who are asking $920 for 245/45/18 and $900 for 245/40/18. We get ripped off here in Canada, I would be able to get the same tires for less than $600 in the States.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:15 PM

Well my only concern with the 245/40/18 setup is the aspect ratio is smaller, meaning its more of a lower profile setup. I ran 235/40/18s and honestly, the setup I currently run just feels smoother and bumps are not felt that much. 40 would be cheaper and would look better but my instinct says it would be a lot more bumpier, how about ttribe, are your tires comfortable enough? Or is it stiffer than normal stock setup?
First, let me preface my comments by saying that I am running the A-Spec suspension, which makes the ride stiffer than stock at the outset. That being said, I had the suspension on for a year before I switched from the stock 17's to my current setup. I've experienced no noticeable change in the ride based on my switch from 235/45/17 to 245/40/18.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the costco link, I am not a member there but I found some local authorized dealers who are asking $920 for 245/45/18 and $900 for 245/40/18. We get ripped off here in Canada, I would be able to get the same tires for less than $600 in the States.
Costco has the 245/40/18 for $199 per plus taxes. Factor in $70 - $80 discount in the Spring. If you know anybody who has a membership, they can buy them for you.

IMO, the comfort difference between a 245/40 and 245/45 would be negligible at best.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Racer

Costco has the 245/40/18 for $199 per plus taxes. Factor in $70 - $80 discount in the Spring. If you know anybody who has a membership, they can buy them for you.

IMO, the comfort difference between a 245/40 and 245/45 would be negligible at best.
thank you sir! that's a pretty good deal, will be looking out for a COSTCO member now.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Fyi

Tire Rack has these in 245/40-18 for $145/ea right now with a $70 gift card. Hard to beat for that price.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:22 AM
One on the right for me

Damn I should buy that right now just to wait for when I'll need them again.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Installed 4/1

Had my 245/40-18's installed yesterday, April Fools Day...Bad Karma?? Anyway, they did fine on the ride home in 42 degree rainy weather. Hoping the snow in WI is done for the year.

Gotta say the 245/40 looks better than the 235/40 that came off. Not sure what it is, maybe that size just fills up the 8.5" A-Spec rims better. I will post some more info once I get some miles on them in warm weather and have a chance to push them.