Brake Pads & Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Brake Pads & Rotors

Hey everyone, I am in need of some advice. I gave my car in to the dealer because my steering wheel vibrated when I hit the brakes on the highway. So here is what they said. I need new brakes and I need to shave the rotors. They want $375 for this. BS..

I looked up both ites on OEMAcuraParts and here is what I found:

45022-SEP-A00 (Pad Set, FR) - $38.79

45251-SEP-A11 (Rotor) - $82.09

Called my mechanic. He said he can put that in for 45bucks.

Any advice? These are OEM, should I go for something different? I have 25k (just under) on the car. 2006 TL.

Are these the correct Part numbers. There are other threads that have other part numbers. Something about new oem parts. Can someone suggest what I should do to replace my pads and rotors.

Also one last question. Is there something else I need to order? I am not very techiee when it comes to cars but I am slowly learning.

Thanks ahead.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Racer

Rule #1 Never shave or turn the rotors. If you have a vibration you are much better off replacing the rotors.

You don't need anything else. If you have a mechanic that will install for $45 go ahead and have him do it as that is quite cheap. If possible, you should ask if you can watch and learn. Brakes are very easy to do but it is critical that they are done right.

You may see some different part numbers depending on whether you have a manual or automatic transmission. The manual has upgraded front brakes.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Why replace the rotors and pads with the same thing you are having an issue with now? You should like into some OE replacement rotors like ROTORA slotted rotors. The cost is close to what you have there but they will last longer and coupled with a good set of pads will perform better.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Why replace the rotors and pads with the same thing you are having an issue with now? You should like into some OE replacement rotors like ROTORA slotted rotors. The cost is close to what you have there but they will last longer and coupled with a good set of pads will perform better.
What evidence do you have to support the claim of longer life? They are probably a fine choice but I doubt that they would last any longer. Slotted and/or drilled rotors for street use offer no real benefit and can wear the pads down quicker. I understand people may buy them for the appearance but don't kid yourself that they provide better performance. Even for most track use solid rotors are fine and resist cracking better than drilled/slotted rotors. My other car has 405 horsepower with solid rotors and stops just fine going around Road America.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmaczo6
What evidence do you have to support the claim of longer life? They are probably a fine choice but I doubt that they would last any longer. Slotted and/or drilled rotors for street use offer no real benefit and can wear the pads down quicker. I understand people may buy them for the appearance but don't kid yourself that they provide better performance. Even for most track use solid rotors are fine and resist cracking better than drilled/slotted rotors. My other car has 405 horsepower with solid rotors and stops just fine going around Road America.
I'm jealous. Road America! Wish I lived close so I could take the TL on that monster.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Intermediate

Guys thanks for the replies. I will get that done. I have no reason to spend more on better parts since the car is a lease. The OEM parts will last past the end of my lease. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
At least replace your pads with something other than OEM. I have the Akebono ProACT ceramic pads in our TL right now... So much less dust..... I can go weeks without cleaning the rims now, instead of days.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by bmaczo6
well, from my experiences here, the pad life might be cut down a little bit, but the rotors will last longer as they will not warp as easily because the pad is always making good contact due to the slotted rotors and the rotors have better cooling vanes in them to keep the temperatures lower. The benefit is there, when you use the right pads, and if the car was prone to brake fading before an increase in stopping power will be noticeable after driving the car for a bit.