Brake pad replacement, alternative maintenance options for 2006 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:44 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pad replacement, alternative maintenance options for 2006 6MT

Hi all,

I was going to post this in the general forum, but most this relates to tires, brakes, etc. so I thought it more appropriate to post here. (Mods, feel free to move as needed.)

My girlfriend took in my 2006 TL 6MT (23K miles) for a regular B1 service at the dealership while I was at work. After today's visit, I'm really serious about looking for alternatives in the Northern Virginia area.

After the full inspection my girlfriend was informed that on top of the B1 service ($133), the following work needed to be done:

1. 4-wheel alignment ($150)
2. Replace 2 front Bridgestone tires ($490)
3. Replace front brake pads and resurface rotors ($526)
4. Battery replacement (free under warranty)

Based on the inspection, it looks like 3 of the 4 tires have 6/32nds of tread left and the fourth is down to 4/32nds. Seems like only one of them is close to needing replacement, but the sidewall on at least 1 of the tires has a serious gash in it, which hurts the structural integrity of the tire. I have therefore been thinking it's time to replace the tires anyway, perhaps with some new Michelin Pilots.

The report also says the front brake pads are down to 3mm each. That's pretty much at the threshold for replacement, from what I've read, so again it didn't seem like they were forcing it prematurely.

I instructed my girlfriend to kindly decline the tire replacement, since Costco has way better prices for the Michelins (you don't want to know what the dealership wanted for them). No point in doing the alignment, then, since we are planning on getting new tires soon.

But I felt like the brake pads and rotor resurfacing was something that probably should be done sooner rather than later, especially with the weather we've been experiencing. I gave the OK to do the job, which took 2.5 hours to complete (well over the 1-1.5 hours quoted). The cost for replacing the Brembo pads alone was $233, plus the cost of 2.5 hours of labor, and it wound up right around what they had quoted.

I did some research on this site to try and find out what people were paying on average to get the brake job done. Seems like people paid anywhere from $400-700, from what I could find. But most of the time I read replies saying how much of a ripoff that was. People were also saying that you could pick up the brake pads online and bring them to any shop to have them replaced.

So, here are a few questions I have, after all that blabbering:

1. Does anyone in the Northern Virginia area know where a good place might be? Or are there chains out there like NTB/Merchant's that are reliable for this type of work?

2. Do most people go to the dealership for regular service, or do they find alternatives? I'd imagine since most folks on here are auto enthusiasts, they know better than to go to the dealership. And after today's visit, I'm more inclined to look elsewhere.

3. What are the criteria to keep in mind when looking for an alternative to the dealership? Are there special certifications or licenses a mechanic or auto shop must have in order to work on an Acura?

4. Do alternative shops have access to the car's system to update the service record? In other words, can they get that nagging service reminder off the MID when the job is done? (I should hope so.)

5. What replacement tires would you all recommend for the 2006 TL 6MT? I was looking into the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (summer) or Pilot All-Season tires, but any other suggestions would be most welcome.

The dealership does have its perks. They're courteous, professional, and the amenities while waiting during service are what you'd expect from a luxury brand. But the downsides are obvious...

Hey, at least I got my complementary A service complete with car wash and detailing!

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:55 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
they're charging $133 for B1 service. you know that means you're paying $133 for an oil change, oil filter change, tire rotation and an inspection right?

when looking for a shop, just try and find one that specializes in honda and acura. you can get the service reminder off of your MID by pressing the "select" button for 10 seconds and go from there. if you're just doing regular maintenance, especially if u can tell them exactly what you need done, any independent honda/acura shop is fine.

the benefits of a dealer are that they usually have the latest equipment and also that they work on your exact same car everyday. i actually think my local dealer is good at solving tricky fixes and complicated jobs and i trust their work, but their fees are ridiculous. my local dealer would probably charge me $133 for an oil change, oil filter change, tire rotation and an inspection...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by wasupdog
they're charging $133 for B1 service. you know that means you're paying $133 for an oil change, oil filter change, tire rotation and an inspection right?
yes, i do now. i had my girlfriend take it in because i thought it was the complementary service, but i got them confused somehow. looking at the service sheet she brought back, it is indeed pretty much what you described.

thanks for the help!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 447 Posts
$133 for a service that I get a loaner vehicle and get to continue my day with no hassles. Some days it is just worth it.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
For the price of OEM tires you can get a much, much better tire in every category. For much less money you can get a tire that performs just as well. Don't limit yourself to the OEM tires. $490 for two mediocre tires is crazy. I spent $850 out the door for a set of 4 Nitto NT05 tires two sizes wider than stock, the best performing ultra performance summer tire out there.

Don't resurface the rotors, it just takes precious metal away from them and increases the chances of overheating or warping in the future. For what shops charge to surface you can usually get new rotors. To put the brake job charges in perspective, I can get a 4 pot 12.6" Wilwood BBK for my car for $750, which is on the high end of what some places charge to surface rotors and replace pads.

For oil changes the dealership is as good as any. The best solution is to do it yourself because even the dealership uses the minimum wage new guys to do basic maintenance. However you're more likely to have any problems that may arise on their part fixed without hassle.

Always check their work. On my girlfriend's car, straight out of the dealer after a free air filter replacement, there was a 1/2" gap between the filter and the box with part of the filter sticking out. If I didn't check it, she would've gone 30,000 miles with it sucking in dirty air. Same with the oil. Check the level and make sure it's new clean oil. Numerous times I've found the same old oil or filter on the car after a change.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned

What dealer is this i live in VA and im only charged $20 for my oil service i rotated my tire my self. man they ripped you off or they dont like you.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by SBR291
What dealer is this i live in VA and im only charged $20 for my oil service i rotated my tire my self. man they ripped you off or they dont like you.

This post is 9 months old.