Bought koni shocks, now having second thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bought koni shocks, now having second thoughts

i want to install my new purchase koni shocks but having second thoughts. i'm reading horrible stories about the shocks braking. I have stock shocks with h & r sport and have not had this problem.
what would you guys do. installed them or not since i already bought them.

this is one of the few stories i have been reading.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=koni+shock
Old 09-25-2010, 12:58 AM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

i would like to add that i also did a second search and see people having alot of problem with the c perch clips braking off from position, has anyone have this problem cause people are actually welding them so they would not brake or move. i believe i made a big mistake buying this koni shocks?
Old 09-25-2010, 01:13 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Koni is probably the top after-market sport shock out there.

There are quite a few folks here with them and I've not read of many similar problems. A few, but they're rare and/or unusual; like crashing a slammed car over a major pothole. That might just as easily bust a stock shock.

There may be more risk with bad NYC roads, but I'll bet a lot of what you're reading is folks who are pushing the limits and could have the same trouble with any number of after-market shocks.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Koni is probably the top after-market sport shock out there.

There are quite a few folks here with them and I've not read of many similar problems. A few, but they're rare and/or unusual; like crashing a slammed car over a major pothole. That might just as easily bust a stock shock.

There may be more risk with bad NYC roads, but I'll bet a lot of what you're reading is folks who are pushing the limits and could have the same trouble with any number of after-market shocks.
when pushing the limit, what do you mean? i'll be using my h&r springs with the koni and using the lowest perch in the front since i only have 2 perch and in the rear i have the sp3 which i will be using the second lowest perch.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:26 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
it's my opinion that it's a design failure, although i'm not claiming to know how they design racing shock bodies. it should be like the oem shock where the shock body is thicker and thinner at the bottom so it can physically sit in the fork perch instead of being 100% supported by the fork bolt pressure. tein uses the same design as oem and you never hear once of this particular problem.

there are many of these same stories across car forums. i read one member said to tighten it 10 ft/lb's tighter than the recommended oem torque and it should be ok.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:13 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by eduardmc
when pushing the limit, what do you mean? ....
meh. It was late. I was talking out my @$$.

Koni IS a huge after-market brand. And the threads linked there may be unusual circumstances. Beyond that,
Old 09-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have 140k miles on my Koni shocks with h&r springs. front on the lowest perch and rear on the middle. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.... don't they?
Old 09-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Herro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by corcraft
I have 140k miles on my Koni shocks with h&r springs. front on the lowest perch and rear on the middle. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.... don't they?
lifetime warranty if you didn't cause the failure of the shock. they take it apart and see the damage and come to the conclusion as to what happened. I've had over 30k miles on mine and I'm doing great.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:19 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by corcraft
As long as you are the original owner and have proof of purchase. If you buy them second hand, you're out of luck!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 09-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Advanced

Old 09-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Advanced

I feel like the ride is too low so i am raising it up either today or tomorrow to the first height perch setting. not to mention the crappy ride when there are multiple passengers in the car.

I had a question to ask her on the forums.. after the 2.2 in drop in front and 1.75 in rear (H&R race springs+ koni neuspeed sp3), the ride feels like it bottoms out a lot and there's also a weird vibration coming from the front driver side. at first we thought it mightve just been the wheels not put on properly after we did all the work but that surely wasnt the case. I still havent gotten an alignment after sucha significant drop and i am hoping this vibration goes away once i have it aligned properly. the problem is that the front driver side feels like it vibrates when steering right past a certain speed.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Originally Posted by a.patel
I feel like the ride is too low so i am raising it up either today or tomorrow to the first height perch setting. not to mention the crappy ride when there are multiple passengers in the car.

I had a question to ask her on the forums.. after the 2.2 in drop in front and 1.75 in rear (H&R race springs+ koni neuspeed sp3), the ride feels like it bottoms out a lot and there's also a weird vibration coming from the front driver side. at first we thought it mightve just been the wheels not put on properly after we did all the work but that surely wasnt the case. I still havent gotten an alignment after sucha significant drop and i am hoping this vibration goes away once i have it aligned properly. the problem is that the front driver side feels like it vibrates when steering right past a certain speed.
This is what i don't want, right now my ride feels smooth (factory smooth) with regular shocks and h & R springs, i don't want to spend all that money on installation and having a worse ride.

also i think your car is too low the installation might be wrong because in all the pictures i have seen with H & R sport with koni sport the drop is not so low, even in the lowest perch. check mmade22, he is using h & R sport and koni sport in the lowest perch in from + he has the a-spec lips and it looks higher than you.

check this picture out from mmade22 and same set up you have. at the lowest perch front, medium perch rear

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...2/IMG_2240.jpg
Old 09-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Advanced

bro, i have h&r race springs. and i know it is installed right because i did it myself.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 PM
AZ Community Team

bro, i have h&r race springs. and i know it is installed right because i did it myself.
Race Spings AND the SP3, which has more (and lower) perch options.

mmade22 had H&R Sport (taller spring, by about 1/2, I think) with regular Koni, which have only 2 perch choices at the front - stock and (iirc) 10mm lower.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:09 AM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

How hard is to do your own istallation. I think u were better off with h & r sport.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Race Spings AND the SP3, which has more (and lower) perch options.

mmade22 had H&R Sport (taller spring, by about 1/2, I think) with regular Koni, which have only 2 perch choices at the front - stock and (iirc) 10mm lower.

if you were referring from koni yellow to koni sp3, Koni yellows has a lower perch (by a few mm but is not even noticable) koni yellow in the front has 2 perch only, normal stand which will give you the height of the spring and a .75" drop (or close to it) in the second perch. i have both with me and took pictures so u can see what i'm talking about.

i'll be doing my installation in my father shop and avoid paying for installation fee, is there any DIY out there for installing koni shock on our TL?

One last question, how do you remove the perch ring for heigh adjustment, do i need a special tool or something.

Last edited by eduardmc; 09-27-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:56 AM
AZ Community Team

i'll be doing my installation in my father shop and avoid paying for installation fee, is there any DIY out there for installing koni shock on our TL?

One last question, how do you remove the perch ring for heigh adjustment, do i need a special tool or something.

Thanks for the pics. DIY is a ~4 hr job. Maybe a bit more depending on tools, skill level and whether you run into problems. Here are the DIY's you need:

Back Seat Removal (PITA): https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/how-remove-back-seats-put-suspension-3g-garage-f-070-a-567460/ - With Service Manual Scans

2G Suspension DIY with Pics (nearly identical to 3G TL): https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-100/diy-lowering-dropping-your-tl-623631/

3G TL Shock and Spring Replacment Service Manual Scans: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/fm-modulators-group-purchase-173827/

You can get a loaner spring compressor and torque wrench at AutoZone if you need them.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
You didn't do your research on these shocks or you just skipped all of my posts on them.

They are designed to fail in that area. When you hit a giant pothole something has to give. Instead of bending the shock, rim, or suspension components, the tab breaks and the shock slides down into the arm. You can use them again, just reposition and torque it down. The tab was never designed to support the weight of the car, it's there to get the shock into correct position during installation. This is a good feature.

The ride with Konis on full soft feels just like stock. They get firmer from there but if you want a stock like ride, put them in full soft and you won't be able to tell the difference.

Of course, going for a stock like ride with the car being 2" or more lower than stock is horrible for performance.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Originally Posted by I hate cars
You didn't do your research on these shocks or you just skipped all of my posts on them.

They are designed to fail in that area. When you hit a giant pothole something has to give. Instead of bending the shock, rim, or suspension components, the tab breaks and the shock slides down into the arm. You can use them again, just reposition and torque it down. The tab was never designed to support the weight of the car, it's there to get the shock into correct position during installation. This is a good feature.

The ride with Konis on full soft feels just like stock. They get firmer from there but if you want a stock like ride, put them in full soft and you won't be able to tell the difference.

Of course, going for a stock like ride with the car being 2" or more lower than stock is horrible for performance.
So u r telling that with this shocks i have to u have AAA number ready for toll my vehicle because of thia feature. Because here in ny i hit BIG pole holes everysingle day.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:06 PM
200,000 mile club

I have to say, if you want a stock like ride, leave yours alone. I hate cars is correct on leaving them in the softest setting to get a nice ride but the car will handle worse than what you have now. I know, as I started out in the softest setting recommended by Koni for the first 500 miles. After they break in, then you can adjust them to whatever level you like. Being on the softest setting, the car rolled a lot and was sloppy! It has been discussed before that putting these shocks in and leaving them soft, you are not going to like the feel.

I grew up on LI NY so I know all about the roads up there. Nasty roads with major pot holes all around! I don't know how you guys with the lowered cars do it! NC has smooth roads and most pot holes can be avoided. I would be driving a Buick if I was back in NY. Good luck with the install!

I've hit big pot holes and bent my rims but I have never had the lower perch fall out on me. That would have to be one hell of a hit but living in NY, that can happen.

Last edited by mmade22; 09-27-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Originally Posted by mmade22
I have to say, if you want a stock like ride, leave yours alone. I hate cars is correct on leaving them in the softest setting to get a nice ride but the car will handle worse than what you have now. I know, as I started out in the softest setting recommended by Koni for the first 500 miles. After they break in, then you can adjust them to whatever level you like. Being on the softest setting, the car rolled a lot and was sloppy! It has been discussed before that putting these shocks in and leaving them soft, you are not going to like the feel.

I grew up on LI NY so I know all about the roads up there. Nasty roads with major pot holes all around! I don't know how you guys with the lowered cars do it! NC has smooth roads and most pot holes can be avoided. I would be driving a Buick if I was back in NY. Good luck with the install!

I've hit big pot holes and bent my rims but I have never had the lower perch fall out on me. That would have to be one hell of a hit but living in NY, that can happen.
Whar i meant about the stock ride is that while i did not notice he did H&R Race spring instaed of Sport spring i thought i was going to get the same harsh ride. I like my ride how smooth it feels in pole holes but i want to change it because my car feels like a boat when im driving in the highway. If i have to sacrify my ride for a stiffer ride ill do it. This is what i read the konis does but i dont really want a ride that drives like a tank aswell
Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Advanced

i just got an alignment done and it rides pretty smooth but it wont be as comfortable as the h&r sport obv. considering they have 1 inch of less drop or so. i knew i was gonna get a harsher ride with h&r race springs and thats why i bought the sp3 since they have a shorter rod.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

My last 2 question,

1) To change perch settings, what tools do you use to remove the perch from one setting to the next. i don't want to force it and brake the ring or weaken it because the perch would be what holds the weight of the vehicle.

2) The middle vase that hold the springs for the installation, does it have to be facing up or down see the pic below (i believe is down but would like confirmation)

i would be doing this in my father shop. They do alot of suspention but only oem version to different vehicle. i'll be doing my work with the workes and following koni directions. The only thing the koni manual do not specify on how are the 2 question i'm asking right now.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:07 PM
200,000 mile club

Its a spring tool that has two points on it and as you press the tool, it opens up the ring just enough to get the ring out and you slide it up or down to the next setting. It looks like a pair of scissors...I have the tool but I forget the name of it.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Its a spring tool that has two points on it and as you press the tool, it opens up the ring just enough to get the ring out and you slide it up or down to the next setting. It looks like a pair of scissors...I have the tool but I forget the name of it.
Snap Ring Pliers. Something like this:

Old 09-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
My last 2 question,

1) To change perch settings, what tools do you use to remove the perch from one setting to the next. i don't want to force it and brake the ring or weaken it because the perch would be what holds the weight of the vehicle.

2) The middle vase that hold the springs for the installation, does it have to be facing up or down see the pic below (i believe is down but would like confirmation)

i would be doing this in my father shop. They do alot of suspention but only oem version to different vehicle. i'll be doing my work with the workes and following koni directions. The only thing the koni manual do not specify on how are the 2 question i'm asking right now.

You use snap ring pliers with the little grips on the end. I use only my fingers but I got very good at these rings when I used to rebuild transmissions. Open the ring only enough to slide it along the body. Clean out the yellow paint in the ring grooves before installation. This is critical for strength.

The perch goes with the inner part higher than the outsides. It will look like it's upside down when you have it in right. If you do it the other way the car will look like a 4x4 when you're done.

As for the potholes damaging the shocks, the only way you're going to break that tab off if they're installed correctly is if you hit a hole hard enough that it would damage the stock suspension. It's better that that tab gives then your control arm or ball joint or whatever. The shocks become the fuse in the system. They have to because it's assumed you're lowering the car and you're going to be much closer to the bumpstops.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:39 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is not 2 front and 1.75 rear
Old 11-06-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
i actually changed the perches using a small flathead screwdriver. just be careful, but its definitely possible without breaking it