Blown coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Blown coilovers?

I have F2 Type II coilovers and I hit a huge pot hole last night, it made a big thud sound. Now, its making a clunking noise up front and the front of the car is more bouncier than normal when I drive. Any suggestions? Also, is it bad to drive around with blown coilovers?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Proud owner of a...

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Your damper is possibly leaking. It sounds like the quality of F2 coilovers is terrible. Normal coilovers will not be easily damaged because of a pothole.

Consider getting a different brand?
The following users liked this post:
shmakoo (04-20-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 02:52 AM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
damn thatsucks
Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Check your sway bar end links?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely blowned. Especially if the car is bouncing your riding only on the springs no strut
Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same thing happen to me
Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Yourboysmoove
Definitely blowned. Especially if the car is bouncing your riding only on the springs no strut
Even if there is no oil leaking?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
The Oil is probably all gone.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Funny I'm seeing this thread because the EXACT same thing happened to me on Thursday with my passenger side front.

Just now took the strut bar off to inspect and found this:

Drivers side for reference:

The adjustment knob, the bolt and the washer below the bolt that the bushing presses against are all gone.

When I hit the bump it made an AWFUL clunk and I was only doing maybe 10mph when I hit it but it was unavoidable.

I'm just kinda wondering how the FUCK this happens.

These are Type 2's that are only about nine months old by the way...
shmakoo (04-30-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 04:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
^^

:bitestongue: :moveson:
Old 04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Bird is the Word

Received 975 Likes on 632 Posts
Threads like this scare me from getting coilovers. There is another thread about someone that has possibly blown their Megans.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 PM
6SPEED FEVER

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts
That because they don't gave TEIN!.....lol
06tl4life (05-04-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 PM
TL^
TLX^

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JMillerUA6
Funny I'm seeing this thread because the EXACT same thing happened to me on Thursday with my passenger side front.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...6/358e9491.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...6/e48cf48b.jpg

The adjustment knob, the bolt and the washer below the bolt that the bushing presses against are all gone.

When I hit the bump it made an AWFUL clunk and I was only doing maybe 10mph when I hit it but it was unavoidable.

I had this same problem. Lucky enough in my case the nut stood stuck in the engine bay of my car. This is surprising though, I hear these Type 2's are supposed to be the shit.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Proud owner of a...

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by EATSLEEPRACE
+1 for Tein.
I think when you buy aftermarket parks, you should go for quality rather than low prices. If I'm in a budget, I would get less mods but make sure they are the finest.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
+1 on teins... i was in NYC all day today hitting potholes...im good
Old 04-30-2012, 02:42 PM
6SPEED FEVER

I don't know we're to begin with quality with f&f coilovers...plastic dust boots!flimsy weak,wrenches, no good for adjusting,squeaking on uneven hill driveways...but that's just me...
justnspace (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 02:44 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I don't know we're to begin with quality with f&f coilovers...plastic dust boots!flimsy weak,wrenches, no good for adjusting,squeaking on uneven hill driveways...but that's just me...
this is the first time, EVER, that I'm agreeing with you.
CHinese function and forms
Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I have function and forms type 1 and so far So good. (knock on wood) its funny tho cuz I only hear about f&f type 2 being Blown . Never type 1 and type 2 are supposedly better. But like the above post, I have no squeaking noise and the car rides great and I'm dropped pretty low. What I do agree with is the crappy wrenches I had to get mines redone at a machine shop.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:38 PM
6SPEED FEVER

You mean good as they are not blown and working fine......but you car must ride extremely stiff...my little brothers civic on skunk2 basics drive 10x better ,I know because I went thru the headache.....

Problem is these coilovers are over hyped...they are not good as they say.....they are suppose to be comftorble and there is nothing comftorble about them.

That's why they always for sale in the BM.....

It actually bothers me when I see people having problems with new coilovers....look at the guy that waited months for the isc coilovers...and the top mounts are not aligned with the car holes ,so he has to hammer off one....this should not be tolerable for something new!
AcuraIntegTL (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just had this happen on my F&F 2 and it now rattles when i hit a slight bump i was worried it was blown i took the strut tower bar off and everything is still together. These have been on for a month hope F&F will replace this.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
any of these HT spec or just all directly from FF?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Cruisin'

Might get them next. Lol

Is everyone else having problems with Function and Forms website? Because I need their number.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
Damn I got HT-Spec F&Fs sitting in the box.
You guys are starting to scare me with your comments, I was told these are better than the Tein Basics.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine are HT spec im emailing their warranty dept. in the morning Marcus said its to F&F discretion to warranty the item or not. Hopefully they will replace it since they have been on the car for a month.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 AM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
ahh. for future reference, ANYONE who install coiloverss should tighten the top hat bolt ..Simple fix... tighten these bolts prior to installing them to prevent any problems from arising.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
*taking deep breaths....having issues with the misinformed and ignorant posts here. Will rely as soon as I can collect myself.

Marcus

Call me if you want to speak in person and you have concerns about this kit. 949-295-1668
Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by shmakoo
I have F2 Type II coilovers and I hit a huge pot hole last night, it made a big thud sound. Now, its making a clunking noise up front and the front of the car is more bouncier than normal when I drive. Any suggestions? Also, is it bad to drive around with blown coilovers?
This could be the nut at the top coming loose and falling off. If this is the case you just need to reinstall the parts that fell off. If not please try to give us more details. If you want, call me and I can tell you some things to look for: 949-295-1668

Originally Posted by serbj
Your damper is possibly leaking. It sounds like the quality of F2 coilovers is terrible. Normal coilovers will not be easily damaged because of a pothole.

Consider getting a different brand?
On what are you basing the notion of it leaking? He didn't even look and report back. Maybe you could ASK if he notices the shock leaking...that would be constructive. Instead you posted a inflammatory comment about the the quality of the brand of coilovers in general based only on assumptions that A, the pothole caused the issue, and B, you think it is leaking. Neither has been substantiated nor would they be linked cases. You basically set the tone for this whole thread and it is all based on crap. Your post should be deleted.

Originally Posted by SSM4DR
Check your sway bar end links?
This is a good think to check. Sometimes links can break, and a pothole can cause this as it puts a momentary spike of torque on the anti-sway system.

Originally Posted by Yourboysmoove
Ok, you are committing as much of as sin as serbj is. We don't know what the issue is. You didn't even spell it right. "blowned?" Yes the shock could have been damaged during the incident but we have not proven that yet.

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
The Oil is probably all gone.
WTF? Where are you getting this from? We have not even established there is a leak, let alone that the fluid might be all gone. This post should be deleted also.

Originally Posted by JMillerUA6

I addressed your issues in the original thread you posted up. It is very possible this is the same issue. It will be interesting to see if that is the case. For those that wanna read:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...5&referrerid=0

Originally Posted by Predatorbird
Threads like this scare me from getting coilovers. There is another thread about someone that has possibly blown their Megans.
And now we get into the peeve I have about threads like this. It scares people from getting perfectly good parts because some thread populated with people who are nonprofessionals speculating about an issue point fingers at the product because they can't do any diagnostic or troubleshooting to get to the bottom of it. This sort of thing can happen with ANY shock and spring combo. Even the stock stuff. "Coilovers" are just shock and spring combos. And yes, there can be issues with them. Although I have found the vast majority of the time the issue is with the installer or the user. Don't be afraid to get tried and true parts from reputable vendors.

Originally Posted by TL^
I had this same problem. Lucky enough in my case the nut stood stuck in the engine bay of my car. This is surprising though, I hear these Type 2's are supposed to be the shit.
That is lucky. In the one case I had about 13 years ago where I forgot to tighten these nuts all the way the parts were lost. What a pain.

They are quite good parts. But they can fail, and there is a rock solid warranty backing them up. Especially if you get the HTSpec kits. Then F2 has your back, and you have the power of Heeltoe behind you as well.

Originally Posted by serbj
+1 for Tein.
I think when you buy aftermarket parks, you should go for quality rather than low prices. If I'm in a budget, I would get less mods but make sure they are the finest.
Tein are great parts, and they are great quality; better than F2. But, they don't have all the features everyone wants. For example, they do not come with upper mounts, and they don't go low enough for many people. And, not everyone wants to spend the extra money. That being said, there really is no good reason to avoid the F2 or HTSpec kits just because they are cheaper. They are still good parts. You just need to know what is important to you before buying and have a good place giving recommendations (ahem )

The dust boots are perfectly fine. This is a really weak complaint. The wrenches do suck for sure...get some Tein ones. Or better yet, use a hammer and screwdriver to tighten the collars. This is what you are supposed to do anyway.

Squeaking....a complaint made on and off by just about EVERY coilover kit out there. This is not a typical thing for any suspension but can happen on any one of them.

Originally Posted by **WhItE-aNgEl**
I have function and forms type 1 and so far So good. (knock on wood) its funny tho cuz I only hear about f&f type 2 being Blown . Never type 1 and type 2 are supposedly better. But like the above post, I have no squeaking noise and the car rides great and I'm dropped pretty low. What I do agree with is the crappy wrenches I had to get mines redone at a machine shop.
This is most of my customers' experience. We have sold hundreds of HTSpec kits and have had very few issues in that time and our ability to make people happy in the end is about 100%.

You mean good as they are not blown and working fine......but you car must ride extremely stiff...my little brothers civic on skunk2 basics drive 10x better ,I know because I went thru the headache.....

Problem is these coilovers are over hyped...they are not good as they say.....they are suppose to be comftorble and there is nothing comftorble about them.

That's why they always for sale in the BM.....

It actually bothers me when I see people having problems with new coilovers....look at the guy that waited months for the isc coilovers...and the top mounts are not aligned with the car holes ,so he has to hammer off one....this should not be tolerable for something new!
Stiff ride is something we fixed with the HTSpec V2 for the TL/TSX apps. I am not sure what kit you are referring to any more now. F2? HTSpec? Was it even a TL kit you experienced F2s on?

Whenever you spend a smaller amount of money on a kit there will be compromises. No doubt. Some kits are made better than others as well. I agree with you that you should demand a certain minimum level of quality with your kit. This is why we made the HTSpec kits with Function Form. Their support is awesome. They are always willing to help. Their parts are good enough quality for me to stake Heeltoe's excellent reputation on. At least with the HTSpec you get a kit you know will work right, or you can bitch to me an I will make it so. And that includes having a good ride.

I am sorry, I am not 100% sure the experience you had translates really well to the kits we are offering...HTSpec by Function Form...without more clarification on what that experience was.

Originally Posted by Ctrogstad
I just had this happen on my F&F 2 and it now rattles when i hit a slight bump i was worried it was blown i took the strut tower bar off and everything is still together. These have been on for a month hope F&F will replace this.
We have experienced this. It could mean something on the bottom is loose, or the shock needs to be replaced. I would contact them for sure for consultation and get a replacement. warranty@f2autolife.com

Originally Posted by shmakoo
Might get [Tein] next. Lol

Is everyone else having problems with Function and Forms website? Because I need their number.
Their site was down for updates. Email warranty@f2autolife.com for warranty concerns.

Originally Posted by mY sLOW UA6
Damn I got HT-Spec F&Fs sitting in the box.
You guys are starting to scare me with your comments, I was told these are better than the Tein Basics.
I hope my post here helps you gain a little more confidence with your decision. If you spoke with me before ordering I for sure encouraged you to by a kit that is good for you. If you did not speak with me, please feel free to call me for consultation. 949-295-1668

Originally Posted by Ctrogstad
mine are HT spec im emailing their warranty dept. in the morning Marcus said its to F&F discretion to warranty the item or not. Hopefully they will replace it since they have been on the car for a month.
Make sure to let them know they are HTSpec V2!

Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
ahh. for future reference, ANYONE who install coiloverss should tighten the top hat bolt ..Simple fix... tighten these bolts prior to installing them to prevent any problems from arising.
This is a good idea. You also need to check after you do any height adjustment! Note: don't got overkill and loctite them. That is not needed or recommended.
shmakoo (05-05-2012)