Best tire for ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
hey guys i have a 07 tls and want to know what is the best tire for a nice smooth quiet ride. thanks.

I need a tire for wet and dry conditions no snow in florida.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-30-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned

Anybody?

Come on south fla drivers. What are you riding on?

Back to the top!

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-30-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Take a look at the Continental DW 245/45-17, summer tire.
A lot of good reviews on the tire so do some reading, but many to choose from. There are benefits when going with an all-season, as one is longer tread life, but if shorter life doesn't enter into the equation get the summer tire. Price wise, for around $135, middle of the pack cost.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to tirerack and search. Their tests/reviews are legit. just focus on ride comfort/noise. If you wish to further it, read some reviews of people that have purchased a specific tire. Some are informative, others are ignorant a**es.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Nitto invo !!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Bridgestone serenity. Supposedly all they're designed for is noise and comfort.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bookard
Go to tirerack and search. Their tests/reviews are legit. just focus on ride comfort/noise. If you wish to further it, read some reviews of people that have purchased a specific tire. Some are informative, others are ignorant a**es.
I have been on tirerack many times and read through the reviews. Seems it's a 50/50 gamble. Some reviews are great others are horrible. Thanks guys. I am leaning towards the conti DW's.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by i hate cars
bridgestone serenity. Supposedly all they're designed for is noise and comfort.
+1
Old 10-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Kumhos Ecsta ASX's. I am planning on trying the Conti's DWS's after the Kumhos wear out
Old 10-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Michelin Primacy MXV4. I just got them on my TL along with new rims on all four wheels. They are a little pricey when compared to some of the other all-season grand-touring tires out there but you get what you pay for. They are virtually silent on the road even at highway speeds and they give a very smooth, refined, and comfortable ride.

They also handle quite well for a premium-touring all-season tire and give great steering feel along with good traction even in rain/snow and solid treadlife rating. IMO they are the best all season premium-touring tire out there with an ideal blend of comfort and performance which is exactly what luxury-sport sedan owners are typically looking for.

I got them here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Primacy+MXV4

BTW the Michelin Primacy MXV4's always come out #1 in comparison testing, they were rated overall #1 in both of Tirerack's premium-touring tire comparison tests against Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum, Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge, and Continental ContiProContact. You can check out the comparison test details here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...n_Primacy MXV4

Last edited by crazyjkz; 10-31-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by crazyjkz
Michelin Primacy MXV4. I just got them on my TL along with new rims on all four wheels. They are a little pricey when compared to some of the other all-season grand-touring tires out there but you get what you pay for. They are virtually silent on the road even at highway speeds and they give a very smooth, refined, and comfortable ride.

They also handle quite well for a premium-touring all-season tire and give great steering feel along with good traction even in rain/snow and solid treadlife rating. IMO they are the best all season premium-touring tire out there with an ideal blend of comfort and performance which is exactly what luxury-sport sedan owners are typically looking for.

BTW the Michelin Primacy MXV4's always come out #1 in comparison testing, they were rated overall #1 in both of Tirerack's premium-touring tire comparison tests against Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum, Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge, and Continental ContiProContact. You can check out the comparison test details here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...n_Primacy MXV4
What size was purchased as there isn't a 235 or 245/45-17 size listed, or any size in 18, 19, or 20 that would be suitable for the TL??????????
Old 11-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

BTW the Michelin Primacy MXV4's always come out #1 in comparison testing, they were rated overall #1 in both of Tirerack's premium-touring tire comparison tests against Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum, Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge, and Continental ContiProContact. You can check out the comparison test details here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMakeModel=Michelin_Primacy MXV4
Are you sure you didn't get the Primacy MXM4's rather than the MXV4's? Reason being, as Turbo pointed out, the MXV4's do not come in any size for our TL so its doubtful you have that specific model.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I like my eagle gt's 235/45/17 zr
Old 11-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Turbonut
What size was purchased as there isn't a 235 or 245/45-17 size listed, or any size in 18, 19, or 20 that would be suitable for the TL??????????
Well mine is a 2nd gen TL so I used 215/50-17. All of the sizes are listed here for the Primacy MXV4: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Primacy+MXV4

If you have trouble finding the right size in the Michelin Primacy MXV4 then I would also recommend the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums as well. I had them on my 2007 Saturn Aura and they gave a smooth comfortable ride and were very quiet along with nimble handling and steering as well. In general they weren't quite as good as the Michelins but they are quite a bit cheaper and they are still surprisingly close in overall quality to the Michelins and still are very solid choice in the premium-touring tire segment for luxury-sport sedans like the TL.

You can see the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ta+LX+Platinum
Old 11-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Well mine is a 2nd gen TL so I used 215/50-17. All of the sizes are listed here for the
Now that brings up another question V or H rated as both are MXV4's.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well mine is a 2nd gen TL so I used 215/50-17. All of the sizes are listed here for the Primacy MXV4: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Primacy+MXV4

If you have trouble finding the right size in the Michelin Primacy MXV4 then I would also recommend the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums as well. I had them on my 2007 Saturn Aura and they gave a smooth comfortable ride and were very quiet along with nimble handling and steering as well. In general they weren't quite as good as the Michelins but they are quite a bit cheaper and they are still surprisingly close in overall quality to the Michelins and still are very solid choice in the premium-touring tire segment for luxury-sport sedans like the TL.

You can see the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ta+LX+Platinum
Well, I have the Kumho Ecsta Platinums on my 3G TL right now and while they are definitely better than stock, I overall am disappointed with the ride quality and noise level of them compared to the Bridgestone Serenity's I had on prior. They are much rougher and noisier than I was led to believe by tirerack reviews and overall I'm not that happy about them. The Serenity's were much much better in both those regards compared to the Kumho's.

I don't know if it has to do with the fact that these are 97W XL rated tires but it's possible the XL load rating is what is making them ride firm and noisier. Wish I had taken Bridgestone's deal and gotten the 94W Serenity's again.

I'm not sure that I would be comfortable getting a 215/50 R17 size in order to get the MXV4's for a 3G. Thats a little bit too far from OEM if you ask me.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Now that brings up another question V or H rated as both are MXV4's.
My Primacy MXV4's came with the V-rating. If you search by vehicle type and then click on "view all tires this size" then I think they will only show you tires that either meet or exceed the OEM speed rating for your car. It seems that the average size for the 3rd gen TLs is 235/45-17 which is a wider and slightly lower profile than the OEM specs on my 2nd gen TL and unfortunately the MXV4's don't come in that particular size.

However I did see that the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums come in that size with the OEM W-speed rating for the 3rd gen TL, and as I said before the Kumhos would also be a solid choice if you can't find the MXV4s in the size that you need.

When I did the search for the 2006 TL I also saw that in the regular size of 235/45-17 Michelin recently came out with a new Primacy MXM4 which I wasn't even aware of and they do come in sizes for the 3rd gens but they were on backorder for that size.

I don't know much about these new Primacy MXM4s because they are brand new and their are no survey specs on them yet on Tirerack but their were some reviews on them and most of them were positive, however they should be far superior to the OEM Pilot HX MXM4s (which were always rated poorly on Tirerack at least especially given the high price) just as the Primacy MXV4s are far better than the old Energy MXV4s.

Bottom line is that the Primacy line of Michelin tire seems to be a vast improvement over the older Pilot and Energy series which were never rated very well especially for the price, so I would have to assume that these new Primacy MXM4s would follow suit but only time will tell for sure.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Advanced

If it were my choice I would go with the Kumho LX Platinums if I couldn't find the Primacy MXV4's in the size that I needed OR if I was on a budget. I've used both tires however they were on different cars and although the Michelins were a bit quieter and were relatively smoother and more refined the Kumhos really weren't THAT far away from the Michelins in overall performance and they are significantly cheaper.

Even Tirerack's comparison test showed that the LX Platinums weren't too far away overall from the Michelin MXV4s and the Bridgestone Turanza Serenitys, and the Kumhos are definitely they best bang for the buck because of the great price.

Also keep in mind that on those new Primacy MXM4s some reviews did complain about road noise, however the tire will definitely need more time on the road before I could recommend it or not.

You really can't go wrong with either the Kumhos or the Michelins as they are both extremely solid choices in the premium-touring tire class. If money is a concern and you are on a budget then the Kumhos would be a no-brainer, however if money is not the primary concern and you can find them in the size that you need and you are hell-bent on getting the BEST premium-touring tire on the market then I would definitely go with the Michelin Primacy MXV4s.

P.S. - Also keep in mind that the Bridgestone Turanza Serenitys are also a very solid choice in the premium-touring tire class and although they are similar in price to the Michelins you may have better luck finding them in the right size for a 3rd gen TL and they are rated right under the MXV4s in overall performance in the comparison tests that I've read.

Last edited by crazyjkz; 11-02-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:56 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
^I may be wrong, but isn't the OP looking for a summer tire, or at least not an all season? It would be nice to keep the reviews or options, leaning in the direction that the OP was looking for, as there are a number of other threads for the all seasons..?