Best Quality Lock Lugs and Lug Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Best Quality Lock Lugs and Lug Nuts

I have a set of Volk RE 30's coming monday. They come with lugs and 4 Gorilla lock lugs. Also center caps. They wheels are bright mercury silver. I think I should have all 5 lugs on each wheel to be locking. I searched all over and not sure what is best. I read about people stripping out some of them I want quality lugs. Prefer all 20 lugs to be locking. I should get silver to match the wheels. I don't care if they cost $150. Just want the best quality and anti-theft. Lightweight also important. Thankyou for any suggestions.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Safety Car

Sorry I forgot, the car is silver like the wheels. I am not sure if red or blue would look good? Thats why I said silver.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:35 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Why only 4 locking lugs? I would recommend 5 gorilla locks for each wheel. There is nothing more ghetto looking than 4 standard lugs and a McGuard locking lug sticking out further than the other 4.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
Why only 4 locking lugs? I would recommend 5 gorilla locks for each wheel. There is nothing more ghetto looking than 4 standard lugs and a McGuard locking lug sticking out further than the other 4.
Re-Read my question. I said I would rather have 5 locking lugs on each wheel. They come with 16 reg. lugs and 4 Gorilla. I need answers to the best quality ones. Does anybody sell complete sets of 20 all locking with 1 lock key adapter. If I can only get 4 locking lug nuts, then I will have 5 diff adapter keys to unlock. Thanks for asking. I need a complete answer.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, I don't think anyone actually produces a kit where all 20 lugs are keyed and secure. These are the general setups:

Option #1: 16 regular lugs, 4 locking, the key usually is unique to that set only, this makes it very hard for a thief to get a key.

Option #2: 20 "locking" lug nut sets. These sets use the same key to remove all the lugs, problem is the manufacture circulates the keys, meaning there's usually only about 7-10 different keys, so it wont be too hard for a thief to get them all.

If you not on a tight budget look in to these:
Rays Dura-Nuts
Project Kics R40, R26 (neo chro versions if you're baller enough)
Mcgard Splinedrive with locks
The above both are setup like option #1.

As far as a set running in the $30-50 range...i haven't found a set that seemed both quality and secure.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:57 AM
Safety Car

Thankyou for a complete quality answer and opinion! J.D.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You should be able to order 16 more locks with the same code. I know you can with Mcgard (spelling) ones that Acura supplies.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Gorilla !

i've got a set of 20 locking nuts with 1 key.
you can get them chrome or black (i got the black kit)
paid $45+shipping

i bought them on summit racing web site
search : gorilla system 12mm x 1.50
Old 05-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Type S Zero
Gorilla !

paid $45+shipping

Thanks ALOT I will go check it out. I have 16 reg chrome and 4 chrome Gorilla locks coming with the wheels. I read Gorilla are good. But most manufacters say that. People are the ones that use them. I would like ALL locking, Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
Re-Read my question. I said I would rather have 5 locking lugs on each wheel. They come with 16 reg. lugs and 4 Gorilla. I need answers to the best quality ones. Does anybody sell complete sets of 20 all locking with 1 lock key adapter. If I can only get 4 locking lug nuts, then I will have 5 diff adapter keys to unlock. Thanks for asking. I need a complete answer.

On my last car (2000 AV6) they tried to rip off the wheels and the one lug nut prevented it. I remember calling Mcguard and asking them about putting multiple wheel locks on a wheel. I can't remember the reason but they said not to do it. Alot of people think wheel theft will not happen to them. Very stupid.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am prob gonna buy a set of GFG 3 piece forged wheels from the owner of a high end bodyshop in my area. I asked him the same question about the wheel locks. I was surprised to hear that none of the guys at his shop use them on their cars and they all have high end wheels ranging from $4-$8 grand a set. He said if someone wants your wheel that bad they will get them no matter what kind of locks you have on. He said the easiest way is to take a close up picture of your locks and send em to the manufacturer saying you lost your key and they will send the theif a new one that fits your lug. He said it's literally that easy or they just break the one locking lug off (in a minute or less). The next statement he made was that when you go to rotate your wheels inevitably the mechanic forgets to place your wheel lock back in your car and you are pretty much screwed. That has happened to all the guys at the shop at one time or another and they had to get replacement keys. He also said there are alot of master keys that fit almost any lock which a thief can buy online. I say if you have a garage that you park your car in every night you may want to reconsider buying locks as you probably do not need them. If you park your car on the street for any lenght of time or at night I would say definitely buy the wheel locks any protection is better than none. Just be aware that no protection is 100% effective.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by conan777
I am prob gonna buy a set of GFG 3 piece forged wheels from the owner of a high end bodyshop in my area. I asked him the same question about the wheel locks. I was surprised to hear that none of the guys at his shop use them on their cars and they all have high end wheels ranging from $4-$8 grand a set. He said if someone wants your wheel that bad they will get them no matter what kind of locks you have on. He said the easiest way is to take a close up picture of your locks and send em to the manufacturer saying you lost your key and they will send the theif a new one that fits your lug. He said it's literally that easy or they just break the one locking lug off (in a minute or less). The next statement he made was that when you go to rotate your wheels inevitably the mechanic forgets to place your wheel lock back in your car and you are pretty much screwed. That has happened to all the guys at the shop at one time or another and they had to get replacement keys. He also said there are alot of master keys that fit almost any lock which a thief can buy online. I say if you have a garage that you park your car in every night you may want to reconsider buying locks as you probably do not need them. If you park your car on the street for any lenght of time or at night I would say definitely buy the wheel locks any protection is better than none. Just be aware that no protection is 100% effective.

OK, so the lock is just a deterrant. But I just don't know if I believe that you can break off the lock nut in a minute. I could be wrong. But having expensive wheels and NOT using them I think is foolish. Be aware that people exaggerate things and there may be a little hype in what you've been told
Old 05-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the McGard spline drive on my Enkei's. The bad part is- I kept the key in the glovebox-DUH! As far as getting them if they want them bad enough, TRUE. A can of freon or gum off and a smack with a chisel and hammer and the stud is broken off. I've done that many of times on junk cars to get rusted lugnuts off.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by limited
Honestly, I don't think anyone actually produces a kit where all 20 lugs are keyed and secure. These are the general setups:

Option #1: 16 regular lugs, 4 locking, the key usually is unique to that set only, this makes it very hard for a thief to get a key.

Option #2: 20 "locking" lug nut sets. These sets use the same key to remove all the lugs, problem is the manufacture circulates the keys, meaning there's usually only about 7-10 different keys, so it wont be too hard for a thief to get them all.

If you not on a tight budget look in to these:
Rays Dura-Nuts
Project Kics R40, R26 (neo chro versions if you're baller enough)
Mcgard Splinedrive with locks
The above both are setup like option #1.

As far as a set running in the $30-50 range...i haven't found a set that seemed both quality and secure.
The Neo Chro are SICK! They look better with the Neo Chro wheels.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:13 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Be careful with those race use lugs that are "open ended" (no cap on the end) like those neo cros... If your car is a daily driver (like most of us), those allow water/crud to get in there and rust and corrode your studs. Bad news unless you track/sunday drive.

I like the McGard splinedrives. Like Gorilla, but better quality.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Drifting

Love the spline drive- they just look better. I've never tried the Gorilla's.Thanks for the info on the opened ended, I can see that happening here in Michigan.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:01 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Type S Zero
Gorilla !

paid $45+shipping

I'm planning to get the lugnuts in the future. What size of lugnuts do I have to buy so that it will fit the car? Also what are the best lugnut that comes with lugnuts? Thank you.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get some Volk Racing lugs to compliment your Volk Wheels
Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by lowgrowl
OK, so the lock is just a deterrant. But I just don't know if I believe that you can break off the lock nut in a minute. I could be wrong. But having expensive wheels and NOT using them I think is foolish. Be aware that people exaggerate things and there may be a little hype in what you've been told
I can verify everything that was mentioned, yes wheels lock can be removed very, very easily. In most cases I can remove in seconds without the key. There is no hype there at all, unfortunately.