Best Brands for the $

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 10:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Brands for the $

I've been told the wheel brands I'm looking at are low-quality and are prone to bending, including ADR, Fitipaldi, Zenetti, Mille Miglia, TR Motorsport, Technomagnesio and Panther. Although I hear OZ makes Fitipaldi (and MSW) and Panther has a 2-yr Warranty as many others only have 1-yr and less.

My price range limit is $350/ea. I'm looking for suggestions on brands that are the highest quality for this mid price range. I haven't decided on 17's or 18's yet. It appears the Momo Sports might fit this bill. Any other suggestions?

Also, where is the best place to buy good quality rims at good prices?
Old 07-03-2001, 05:40 PM
Intermediate

Now I'm starting to wonder if there really is a major quality issue with mid-priced wheels or if this is more of a prestige issue with people trying to justify spending $500 per wheel instead of $250. Here's what discount tire says, of course they don't carry much if any over $500 wheels.

ello and thank you for writing to us!
Most aftermarket wheels are just as strong if not stronger than the OEM wheels. As for chrome wheels chipping easier, chrome is basically a metal coating put over the wheels and even with a bad platting job it is hard to chip them, however chrome wheels after about 2 year can develop rust problems if they are not taken care of.
The only company I can really comment about from your list is the Zenetti line of wheels, we have carried them for about a 11/2 and there wheels are strong they receive a good platting job that comes with a 1 year warranty from Zenetti. We did carry Fittipaldi however they have gone out of business, we do still have some of there remaining stock and these wheels are also very durable.
We do have several styles of wheels that look similar to the brands you have listed, take a look at our website www.tires.com.
Old 07-03-2001, 07:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I have 17x8 AT Italia Flash wheels that were about $250 each. I don't know what others may say about them but I've been very happey w/ them. I've hit some serious pot-holes and expected to find major damage to the wheel but so far, they're as good as new. I did puncture one of the wheels though -- ran over something at night, didn't see what it was but it punctured both the tire and the wheel (made about a 2 inch hole in the wheel). Whatever it was, it probably would have done the same to any wheel.