Bent Rim.....Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:09 PM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bent Rim.....Need Advice

What's up all,

Just got a tire rotation and balance last week. The technician noticed that one of my rims were bent and told me to always put that rim on the back of the car. Ever since that day I noticed my car has been riding kinda funny at high speeds. Maybe it's in my head, I don't know. My question to you is should I get a new rim???

P.S. - I have the stock 08 TL rims on the car.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hello Riga, did the rim balance? if it did, you car should be riding fine, if it did not balance, your probably going to have to either purchase a rim in good condition or find a shop that will fix it for you. If the bend is in the inside of the rim you can probaly find a shop that fixes it for cheap. If it is on the outside of the rim your gona have to paint it which will put you back at least $150 total.

Also, Its always a good time to look for new wheels if you are into that.

good luck

Rolan
Old 10-01-2009, 05:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
A bent rim can still balance fine, but the car will vibrate because of the condition, if the bend is severe. Yes, the back is where it should be, but I recommend getting another rim, either used, or from an aftermarket supplier. Also if not balanced correctly, the car will vibrate slightly at higher speeds regardless of the rim condition. For some resason, the TL wheel assemblies are notorious for not being able to balance 100%, that's why the Huinter Road Force machine is recommended.
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Found this on the net:
Aftermarket $179.99
http://www.phenixwheels-store.com/se...17x8%22/Detail
Old 10-01-2009, 11:23 AM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow.... thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure it did balance cuz the technician would have let me know. Otherwise, I'm not sure if I'm ready to go aftermarket for the rim, but will look into it and the cost of getting a new OEM rim. As always, $$$ is an issue. Don't want to waste unnecessary money for something just as good, but could have gotten cheaper. But, "you pay for what you get" applies too. I'm trying to find some middle ground here.