Ball joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 08:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ball joint replacement

Hey everyone, I have an 06 tl and I'm at about 124k now. I want to replace my front end suspension pieces. I want to replace all of the pieces and I know i'll need to do upper and lower ball joints, but what other pieces should I do? I had found a 10 piece suspension and steering kit online a few months ago, but I didn't pay attention to what those pieces were and now that kit is no longer available.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by dylankerns
Hey everyone, I have an 06 tl and I'm at about 124k now. I want to replace my front end suspension pieces. I want to replace all of the pieces and I know i'll need to do upper and lower ball joints, but what other pieces should I do? I had found a 10 piece suspension and steering kit online a few months ago, but I didn't pay attention to what those pieces were and now that kit is no longer available.

There are the front control arm bushings and sway bar endlinks, 1 per side. There are other rubber bushings in the area but in all honesty I didn't think it was worth it at the end of the day.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I'd do swaybar endlinks and compliance bushings. Lower ball joints too. Maybe tie rods. Anything else is not necessary.

The compliance bushings are known to fail prematurely. Typically you never have to replace upper ball joints. Sway bar end links do fail eventually also. Easy to replace if you have a grinder. You'll likely have to cut them off because they rust badly in place over time
Old 02-28-2016, 10:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
You'll need a press to do the lower ball joints and compliance bushings
Old 02-29-2016, 08:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are the control arm bushing the same as the compliance bushings? I was thinking about just getting the parts myself and bringing them to a shop to have them installed. I could probably figure out how to do it myself but it'd rather save myself the frustration and have someone just install it for me. any idea how much that might run me? any recommendation for what brand to get too? Was thinking about getting parts from Moog, but wanted some feedback first.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:29 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
If you take it to a shop, they're likely going to charge you for the labor rate to remove both control arms so they can press out/in the bushings. You might find a shop that has the tool to press out/in the bushings with the control arm still on the car and that should save you some labor time.

You can also make your own tool and press the bushings out/in yourself with the control arm still on the car.

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem.../#post14334091

You don't need a press for the ball joints. There are several DIY videos showing how to pop the ball joints using a jack and a 1/2" ratchet handle