Avoid Tire Kingdom: My Story/Rant

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Avoid Tire Kingdom: My Story/Rant

I bought me some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 235/45R17s for my 07 TL Type S. I specifically asked them to inflate the tires 35/32 psi front/rear respectively twice before dropping my car off. They even put it on the order form as a special instruction.

I picked up my car last night and the electronic gauge showed 45/47psi WTF???? I then got out a manual pressure gauge to check it and sure enough it was dead on. I told the salesperson at Tire Kingdom and he just looked at me with a blank look.

There I was sitting in a parking lot deflating my tires to the proper pressure after dropping over $1k to Tire Kingdom for them to do it.

Imagine if I hadn't checked the pressure and I got a blow out from over inflation when driving down the highway?

I double checked to make sure they installed the tires correctly since they are directional and at least they got that right. I feel my car slightly pulling to the right however and may have to go back for them to redo the alignment that I paid $80 for as part of the install.

Now here is where it gets more interesting. Prior to picking up my car, they called me claiming I needed a brake job. They said my pads were down to 3mm and I needed to rotors. They wanted to replace the pads and rotors for a mere $280. I was almost tempted until I asked what parts they use. The brake pads are NAPA and they couldn't even tell me the brand of rotor.

I called my contact at Acura and he said to avoid a brake job at all costs from them. They do this as an upsell tactic using the most generic parts. Acura claims my rotors can very easily be resurfaced and do NOT need to be replaced. I also checked my pads and I see about 4mm of wear left on them. What a joke.

Be very careful with Tire Kingdom.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:22 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioholics
I bought me some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 235/45R17s for my 07 TL Type S. I specifically asked them to inflate the tires 35/32 psi front/rear respectively twice before dropping my car off. They even put it on the order form as a special instruction.

I picked up my car last night and the electronic gauge showed 45/47psi WTF???? I then got out a manual pressure gauge to check it and sure enough it was dead on. I told the salesperson at Tire Kingdom and he just looked at me with a blank look.

There I was sitting in a parking lot deflating my tires to the proper pressure after dropping over $1k to Tire Kingdom for them to do it.

Imagine if I hadn't checked the pressure and I got a blow out from over inflation when driving down the highway?

I double checked to make sure they installed the tires correctly since they are directional and at least they got that right. I feel my car slightly pulling to the right however and may have to go back for them to redo the alignment that I paid $80 for as part of the install.

Now here is where it gets more interesting. Prior to picking up my car, they called me claiming I needed a brake job. They said my pads were down to 3mm and I needed to rotors. They wanted to replace the pads and rotors for a mere $280. I was almost tempted until I asked what parts they use. The brake pads are NAPA and they couldn't even tell me the brand of rotor.

I called my contact at Acura and he said to avoid a brake job at all costs from them. They do this as an upsell tactic using the most generic parts. Acura claims my rotors can very easily be resurfaced and do NOT need to be replaced. I also checked my pads and I see about 4mm of wear left on them. What a joke.

Be very careful with Tire Kingdom.
you're lucky that's all they did. merchant's (same company as tire kingdom), damaged my rims after a tire install. only after i complained to corporate did my rims get replaced (actually upgraded since the originals were discontinued). since then i avoid going to the big box places. the level of incompetency is unbelieveable.

yeah my most recent tire mount done by NTB (subletted from dealer since they didn't want to mess up my rims), they under inflated my tires and didn't balance the tires and wheels very well at all.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
3mm, 4mm. Very easy to confuse, and resurfaced rotors will only last a few months before they warp again.

The tire pressure thing definetely sounds very sketchy though. Who in their right mind inflates tires that high on any car?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:47 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Will vary be store.

I'v enever had any trouble with the Tire Kingdom near me.

As far as brake, etc. upsell, everybody seems to do that. Since I do most of my own basic maint, I tell 'em "Thanks, I'll check it out."
Old 04-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Racer

My car is definitely pulling to the right when I position the wheel center and drive with no hands. Didn't do that before. I guess I have to bring it back for them to re-align it and pray they do it right this time.

3mm, 4mm. Very easy to confuse, and resurfaced rotors will only last a few months before they warp again.
Really? Acura told me they can resurface them several times and till get use out of them. Surprised Acura is NOT trying to upsell me on new rotors. I think when I eventually do replace rotors I will be looking at slotted or drilled types as I really love that look.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
My car is definitely pulling to the right when I position the wheel center and drive with no hands. Didn't do that before. I guess I have to bring it back for them to re-align it and pray they do it right this time.

Really? Acura told me they can resurface them several times and till get use out of them. Surprised Acura is NOT trying to upsell me on new rotors. I think when I eventually do replace rotors I will be looking at slotted or drilled types as I really love that look.
There isn't much meat on the rotors to even resurface once, let alone numerous times. The A/T & M/T rotors only have 2 mm to play with until they are considered beyond the service limit, and 2 mm is only .04" each side.

I'd make certain that the tire pressures are dead on, and if perfect, then switch the front and rear tires to see if the pull decreases. Also check the lug nut torque. Although it won't cause a pull, it could do some damage to the rotors if they tightened them down with an air impact wrench.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Racer

I'd make certain that the tire pressures are dead on, and if perfect, then switch the front and rear tires to see if the pull decreases. Also check the lug nut torque. Although it won't cause a pull, it could do some damage to the rotors if they tightened them down with an air impact wrench.
I balanced the tires perfectly 35 fronts / 32 rears. I don't have a torque wrench. I will be bringing the car back thursday for Tire Kingdom to realign it and then next week to Acura to do my brake job. I just ordered the Hawk HPS pads to replace my dusty brembos. Hope the braking is comparible....
Old 04-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Well, think about it. When you resurface rotors, you're removing material from them, making them thinner. Now they can't hold as much heat and warp easier. You can do it over and over again until there just isn't enough material left, and then you have to get new rotors. Acura makes money on your multiple resurfacings, and new rotors.

I'd suggest doing some research on quality aftermarket pads and rotors, doing a proper bed-in, and enjoying warp free rotors for years to come
Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

I balanced the tires perfectly 35 fronts / 32 rears. I don't have a torque wrench. I will be bringing the car back thursday for Tire Kingdom to realign it and then next week to Acura to do my brake job. I just ordered the Hawk HPS pads to replace my dusty brembos. Hope the braking is comparible....
you're really only going to get maybe one resurfacing out of the rotors, but if they are warped, why bother just go aftermarket.

the hawk HPS pads are an upgrade to the stock brembo pads IMO. the dusting was insane with the stock pads. i have had the HPS pads on my stock rotors without issue and a hell of a lot less dust with better braking. they seem to be lasting a bit longer too based on my driving habits so far. when these finally go i'm going with powerslot rotors and stoptech pads (pkg from excelerate).

the alignments on the TLs are touchy so you have to make sure the toe numbers are as close to zero as possible. otherwise...your car will eat tires. if you don't like the numbers on the print out, make them do it again. hell its bad enough they overinflated your tires, aligned the car with the wheel off center and then tried to sell you on brakes.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You think thats bad?

Discount Tire: After spending $1200 last fall on winter wheels, and my family spending even more through the years on tires since it is less than 2 miles from my house, I go there to buy new summer tires a few weeks ago.

After putting down a deposit on the tires and ordering them on a Tuesday, they told me they would be in late Thursday and they would call me. After not hearing from them, on Saturday I stopped by to see whats up. They told me they had them in, and could get them put on that day.

I specifically tell the guy NOT to use air tools on my locking lugs, because the key will break if over-torqued, he makes a not on the sheet and I get a ride back home while they install them.

About an hour and a half later, I get a call from someone there I havent ever talked to, who tells me "Your locking lug key will not fit 2 of your locking lugs, and we have to get a special tool to remove them".... I get suspicious, and tell them not to touch my car and that I will be there in 10 minutes.

Upon getting there, I talk to ANOTHER new person, who tells me again that the locking lug key will not fit the lugs, and I pick up the key that is sitting on his desk, and the part that mates with the lug is destroyed, mangled, bent to shit.

He insists to me that this happened with "only hand tools" and that "These cheap autozone wheel lugs are known to break and it is badly designed". After him telling me this, I flip out and tell him that this is a brand new Acura/Honda locking lug kit, not from Autozone, and tell him I want my deposit refunded and $20 for a new locking-lug kit.

He keeps repeating how the metal is "cheap" and "we only used hand tools", so I take my money back and today I am driving 30min to TireRack to get Hankook Ventus V12's that I ordered from them installed. I will not be returning to Discount Tire.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:05 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^^incompetency at its best re: discount tire. what you should have done is watched them work on your car. i've done that....its pathetic b/c they spend half their time BSing around rather than working and you get to watch through the window of the shop! yeah...all the more reason not to go to these types of big box shops. they simple don't care.

hence i'm willing to pay more to go to the dealer, b/c they know how i am with my car. if anything is wrong my SA knows i'm gonna see it or notice. the last thing they want me to be is angry and upset, so the kid gloves go on when my car shows up in their service bay. my long standing relationship with the dealer pays off, when i need to get service done. and of course they also know i'm on the forums...so...piss me off and the whole world will know.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
^^^incompetency at its best re: discount tire. what you should have done is watched them work on your car. i've done that....its pathetic b/c they spend half their time BSing around rather than working and you get to watch through the window of the shop! yeah...all the more reason not to go to these types of big box shops. they simple don't care.

hence i'm willing to pay more to go to the dealer, b/c they know how i am with my car. if anything is wrong my SA knows i'm gonna see it or notice. the last thing they want me to be is angry and upset, so the kid gloves go on when my car shows up in their service bay. my long standing relationship with the dealer pays off, when i need to get service done. and of course they also know i'm on the forums...so...piss me off and the whole world will know.
I'm the same way. I buy the SA and the tech coffee cards to take care of my car. They always park it in the very back of the service lot and in the shop at night. It's a PITA to look them in the eye and tell them to do something so obvious (don't damage my car). It would be much easier if it were a sports car, but since it's a common 4 door vehicle, you have to explain to them that you baby it.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl

I thought I had been safe when I made it clear that I cared very much about my car, brought it to them when it was clean, and had them do an inspection of it before they worked on it to make note of any dings/scratches that existed before they touched it, so they would be responsible for any damage.

The original guy I talked to did a full walk-around and noted all the dings and showed me them for approval... Needless to say I learned my lesson. What really got me was that they used all different people to jerk me around and tell me different stories. If they couldnt competently take off the lug nuts, no way I was letting them change the tires. I will be very wary going back for any reason regarding the winter wheels I bought from them.

Perhaps I would have learned my lesson when I purchased the winter wheels/tires, but I simply picked them up and changed them out myself rather than having Discount Tire do it. This week I am sending out a snail-mail letter to their corporate customer service with my story and documentation on previous purchases to show them how upset I was. I like supporting local businesses, and would have loved the convenience of Discount Tire since they are so close to home, but I cant do that after my most recent experience.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by rtibbitts07
You think thats bad?

Discount Tire: After spending $1200 last fall on winter wheels, and my family spending even more through the years on tires since it is less than 2 miles from my house, I go there to buy new summer tires a few weeks ago.

After putting down a deposit on the tires and ordering them on a Tuesday, they told me they would be in late Thursday and they would call me. After not hearing from them, on Saturday I stopped by to see whats up. They told me they had them in, and could get them put on that day.

I specifically tell the guy NOT to use air tools on my locking lugs, because the key will break if over-torqued, he makes a not on the sheet and I get a ride back home while they install them.

About an hour and a half later, I get a call from someone there I havent ever talked to, who tells me "Your locking lug key will not fit 2 of your locking lugs, and we have to get a special tool to remove them".... I get suspicious, and tell them not to touch my car and that I will be there in 10 minutes.

Upon getting there, I talk to ANOTHER new person, who tells me again that the locking lug key will not fit the lugs, and I pick up the key that is sitting on his desk, and the part that mates with the lug is destroyed, mangled, bent to shit.

He insists to me that this happened with "only hand tools" and that "These cheap autozone wheel lugs are known to break and it is badly designed". After him telling me this, I flip out and tell him that this is a brand new Acura/Honda locking lug kit, not from Autozone, and tell him I want my deposit refunded and $20 for a new locking-lug kit.

He keeps repeating how the metal is "cheap" and "we only used hand tools", so I take my money back and today I am driving 30min to TireRack to get Hankook Ventus V12's that I ordered from them installed. I will not be returning to Discount Tire.
They always lie about using the hand tools. It's more work for them to have to do it right so most of the time, they just pull out the air wrench and use that to do the bulk of the work, then check everything at the end with a torque wrench, though a lot of times they do not even bother with this.

It helps if you stick around and watch them, but sometimes, they just don't care. Just remember that when you take it to one of these places, they are trying to maximize their profit and if something takes longer, they won't bother. Sometimes when you want something done right, you really have to just do it yourself.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:37 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

I thought I had been safe when I made it clear that I cared very much about my car, brought it to them when it was clean, and had them do an inspection of it before they worked on it to make note of any dings/scratches that existed before they touched it, so they would be responsible for any damage.

The original guy I talked to did a full walk-around and noted all the dings and showed me them for approval... Needless to say I learned my lesson. What really got me was that they used all different people to jerk me around and tell me different stories. If they couldnt competently take off the lug nuts, no way I was letting them change the tires. I will be very wary going back for any reason regarding the winter wheels I bought from them.
all the more reason to be nice to the dealer and find a SA that you actually get along with. they work in teams, so you won't be shuffled around to different guys. it almost sounds like there is zero accountability at that discount tire. the dealer assigns techs to do certain jobs, and its noted on your records who the SA was at the time of service and which tech actually worked on your car. this i like not only from an accountability stand point, but also consistency. taking your car in for service is like going to the doc's office or taking your pet to the vet.

the other way as you mentioned is DIY if possible. if you mess up then you can be mad at yourself. live and learn as they say. we're all enthusiasts on here and we baby the crap out of our car (s), so most of us will be a bit more anal than the everyday joe that walks into those places. for the most part they really dont' care. of course i'm sure you'll be just as paranoid as i am about leaving the car for service anywhere. i share your pain in this matter.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Unfortunately, I dont think mounting tires on wheels and balancing them is DIY...

And as for going to my local Honda dealer that I go by everyday on my way to school.... lemme quote my story of the day I posted in another thread....

Fun fact:

Ordered 255/40/17 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's from TireRack and went to there North America Headquarters in South Bend, Indiana (about 30min away from me) to have them installed.

Upon arriving and looking at my vehicle, they informed me that they are not allowed to install these tires on my wheels because my wheel width was not the Hankook minimum of 8.5". Even though I assured them they would fit, and that TL owners had been doing it forever... guess it was against their rules since they are a distributor for Hankook or something.

Had them bag the tires, and drove back home to the local Honda dealership, who said they will do it.

After sitting in the waiting room for 5min, they come and tell me they are scared to do it because their machine doesnt have some plastic part that prevents the wheels from being scratched (I have Type-S wheels)....

Now I have an appointment at a GM dealership that a buddy of mine works at, for them to mount and balance them on Friday.

Sigh.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:25 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Unfortunately, I dont think mounting tires on wheels and balancing them is DIY...

And as for going to my local Honda dealer that I go by everyday on my way to school.... lemme quote my story of the day I posted in another thread....
yes that is the one thing you can't DIY.

well, you should be thankful that the honda dealer said they didn't want to damage them. why didn't you take it to an acura dealer?? at least they will know how to handle your type s OEM wheels.

i had a similar experience to yours when mounting my OEM spec'd aftermarket tires. my acura dealer flat out said..."i'd be afraid to damage your wheels." i have aftermarket enkei's, plus they dont' have the latest and greatest in tire mounting equip. like a tire shop would. they gave me the same plastic rim protector line too. however they did have them done for me...they subletted the work to the NTB (which i had reservations over-bad experience, and i told them that story). my SA spoke with NTB and asked that they be careful with the rims since the owner will know if there is one nick or scratch on them. he told me not to worry and that they would take care of me. of course...i worried b/c of previous bad experiences, but SA knows that my car is important to me. he saw me glossing over the wheels and car before i left with a fine toothed comb. so i actually appreciated the fact they were honest with me and NOT wanting to chance damaging my wheels. the good thing i got out of it was the loaner and not having to wait around at NTB to have it done. downside, NTB did a pretty crappy job balancing the wheels and tires plus they underinflated my tires. even longer story after this...but to the point...be happy honda said no. tirerack...that's just weird. they have the latest and greatest. an acura dealer would have done it for you no prob. mount and balance $30/wheel.

so if you friend at the GM dealership helps you out...then all is good.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Instructor

I didn't go to an Acura dealer because the nearest one if over an hour away, and thats in the opposite direction of TireRack.

The Honda dealer quoted me at $65 (I was sure to say that I would not pay any bogus "shop fees" on top of that $65). Since they couldn't, thats the same price that the GM dealer is going to do it for. $30/tire seems pretty steep to me, and if I had to drive an extra 2 hours round trip to an Acura dealership.... expenses add up quick.

Edit: Sorry for the threadjacking OP!

Last edited by rtibbitts07; 04-27-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Racer

the hawk HPS pads are an upgrade to the stock brembo pads IMO. the dusting was insane with the stock pads. i have had the HPS pads on my stock rotors without issue and a hell of a lot less dust with better braking. they seem to be lasting a bit longer too based on my driving habits so far. when these finally go i'm going with powerslot rotors and stoptech pads (pkg from excelerate).
Incredibly useful feedback. Thanks so much! If my rotors are truly shot, I will be getting the ones you suggest instead of buying new brembos.

As for Tire Kingdom, I won't be using these clowns again. Next time I will try to haggle the dealer down a bit on tires or buy them from Tirerack and ship them to Acura.

I know Acura service costs more but at least they know their cars. The Acura dealer will be doing my front brakes for $140 since I am bringing my HPS pads. They said they would follow the bed in procedure recommended by Hawk too.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Instructor

OP: On the DIY subject, changing the pads on our cars is incredibly easy, the hardest part is basically taking off the wheels. Especially with the Brembo's, all you need is a hammer, a small punch pin, and the tools to take your wheels off.

I did the rotors and pads last summer by myself, first time ever doing it on any car, and was incredibly surprised that people actually pay to have it done. While swapping out the rotors may be a little more involved (I had to buy an Impact screwdriver, not to be confused with impact wrench/air tools for $20), but it was still an afternoon job and a great way to familiarize yourself with your car, and a great self-confidence booster.

Doing the pads yourself shouldnt take more than an hour.

I also saw a huge reduction in brake dust when upgrading to Rotora pads.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:40 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

I didn't go to an Acura dealer because the nearest one if over an hour away, and thats in the opposite direction of TireRack.

The Honda dealer quoted me at $65 (I was sure to say that I would not pay any bogus "shop fees" on top of that $65). Since they couldn't, thats the same price that the GM dealer is going to do it for. $30/tire seems pretty steep to me, and if I had to drive an extra 2 hours round trip to an Acura dealership.... expenses add up quick.

Edit: Sorry for the threadjacking OP!
that's what i figured...you live far away from an acura dealer.

$65 is pretty cheap for all 4. even going to the tirerack recommended installers will cost about $100-120 for all 4. of course if you run a bigger wheel or lower profile tire...it'll cost more. you're running OEM 17's with a 245 profile.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Racer

I went back to Tire Kingdom today and actually spoke with their top mechanic. He seemed pretty knowledgeable. He checked my alignment and said it was within spec. He claimed the pitch of the roads is what is making me feel the car is out of alignment and that my new tires have a lot more traction than the old ones.

He said Acura doesn't allow for Caster or Camber adjustments which are the two most responsible for changing how the car drives straight.

When I look at his printout, everything appears to be within spec so I suppose its ok. I may have Acura check it out when I do my brakes.

BTW, Tire Kingdom uses Napa Adaptive One brake pads which is a composite ceramic/metallic pad. Anyone have experience with them? Just wondering.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

I went back to Tire Kingdom today and actually spoke with their top mechanic. He seemed pretty knowledgeable. He checked my alignment and said it was within spec. He claimed the pitch of the roads is what is making me feel the car is out of alignment and that my new tires have a lot more traction than the old ones.

He said Acura doesn't allow for Caster or Camber adjustments which are the two most responsible for changing how the car drives straight.

When I look at his printout, everything appears to be within spec so I suppose its ok. I may have Acura check it out when I do my brakes.

BTW, Tire Kingdom uses Napa Adaptive One brake pads which is a composite ceramic/metallic pad. Anyone have experience with them? Just wondering.
true. only toe is adjustable. yeah i heard the road crown story too. yeah in spec and as close to zero are relative. it can be in spec, but this car is sensitive to poor alignments. hope their machine was calibrated.

never heard or used napa brake pads. if you do a search on what brake pads peeps are running you might find a number of other options as well.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Racer

true. only toe is adjustable. yeah i heard the road crown story too. yeah in spec and as close to zero are relative. it can be in spec, but this car is sensitive to poor alignments. hope their machine was calibrated.

never heard or used napa brake pads. if you do a search on what brake pads peeps are running you might find a number of other options as well.
Here are my before and after Alignment #s per Tire Kingdom:

• Front Left:
    Camber: -0.4 after -0.5 before
    Toe: -0.03 after -0.29 before
  • Front Right:
    Camber: -0.8 after and before
    Toe: 0.00 after 0.08 before
  • Front:
    Cross Camber: 0.4 after 0.3 before
    Total Toe: -0.02 after -0.22 before
  • Rear Left:
    Camber: -1.2 after and before
    Toe: -0.05 after -0.08 before
  • Rear Right:
    Camber -1.5 before and after
    Toe: -0.07 after -0.19 before
  • Rear:
    Total Toe: -0.12 after -0.26 before
    Thrust angle: 0.01 after .06 before
I searched Google and here for the Napa pads and found only very vague discussions of them. I already ordered the Hawks and sticking to them, especially after your experience. thanks.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:55 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Here are my before and after Alignment #s per Tire Kingdom:

• Front Left:
    Camber: -0.4 after -0.5 before
    Toe: -0.03 after -0.29 before
  • Front Right:
    Camber: -0.8 after and before
    Toe: 0.00 after 0.08 before
  • Front:
    Cross Camber: 0.4 after 0.3 before
    Total Toe: -0.02 after -0.22 before
  • Rear Left:
    Camber: -1.2 after and before
    Toe: -0.05 after -0.08 before
  • Rear Right:
    Camber -1.5 before and after
    Toe: -0.07 after -0.19 before
  • Rear:
    Total Toe: -0.12 after -0.26 before
    Thrust angle: 0.01 after .06 before
I searched Google and here for the Napa pads and found only very vague discussions of them. I already ordered the Hawks and sticking to them, especially after your experience. thanks.
i prefer the rears to be closer to 0. i think my totaltoe in back after my last align was -.02 and -.02 for the front (done at the dealer).

you should be ok...just keep an eyeball out for your wear pattern. i'm paranoid about this stuff b/c of my previous align at merchant's...which apparently was "close enough" for them and their lazy asses, but my car on the other hand...ate through a set of good years in less than 9K miles and less than a year. granted the good years sucked but i was hoping i didn't have to replace them in a year! never rotated once and the rears were worse than the front. looked at the alignment numbers they were "in spec" but not as close to zero as one would like. the TL is crazy finicky with its toe setting. so be forewarned.

the hawk pads...you'll be happy with (so far 25K miles -i know mileage doesn't really matter with brakes, and i have plenty of pad left, OEM 28K miles and i happily kissed them good bye dust and all!). just make sure they get bedded to the rotors. the OEM pads are known to dust like crazy and wear fast. so, you'll get more life out of the hawk pads. plus i think the hawk pads are cheaper than the napas that the "bad people" at the tire shop were trying to sell you.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
long story short

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48t68...eature=related
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Racer

i prefer the rears to be closer to 0. i think my totaltoe in back after my last align was -.02 and -.02 for the front (done at the dealer).

you should be ok...just keep an eyeball out for your wear pattern. i'm paranoid about this stuff b/c of my previous align at merchant's...which apparently was "close enough" for them and their lazy asses, but my car on the other hand...ate through a set of good years in less than 9K miles and less than a year. granted the good years sucked but i was hoping i didn't have to replace them in a year! never rotated once and the rears were worse than the front. looked at the alignment numbers they were "in spec" but not as close to zero as one would like. the TL is crazy finicky with its toe setting. so be forewarned.

the hawk pads...you'll be happy with (so far 25K miles -i know mileage doesn't really matter with brakes, and i have plenty of pad left, OEM 28K miles and i happily kissed them good bye dust and all!). just make sure they get bedded to the rotors. the OEM pads are known to dust like crazy and wear fast. so, you'll get more life out of the hawk pads. plus i think the hawk pads are cheaper than the napas that the "bad people" at the tire shop were trying to sell you.
thanks appreciate the advice. Acura said they would check my alignment when they do my brakes. The Service Manager loves me b/c last time he serviced my car he dropped his very expensive watch in my back seat and I drove all the way back the next day to return it to him. It was a gift from his in-laws so you could imagine how that saved his ass with them LOL.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:06 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

thanks appreciate the advice. Acura said they would check my alignment when they do my brakes. The Service Manager loves me b/c last time he serviced my car he dropped his very expensive watch in my back seat and I drove all the way back the next day to return it to him. It was a gift from his in-laws so you could imagine how that saved his ass with them LOL.
NICE! never hurts to be remembered.