Avant Garde Wheel fitment help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Avant Garde Wheel fitment help

Hi guys,

I don't see too many Acura's with Avant Garde wheels on here so it's hard to find the info I need. I am looking at a set of 18x8.5 +35 AG M359's that the dealer will have redrilled to 5x114.3. I have spoken with getyourwheels.com and the rims will not clear the Brembos by about 7mm. I am looking to have the tires flush so my question is related to what spacer sizing I would need to accomplish this. I proposed this question to getyourwheels and the response was that I will have to play around with it.

I have read a bunch of other threads which have been helpful in letting me know I need to be in the 25-30 offset range but the concavity of the rim is throwing me.

I know flip_side has these wheels in 18x9.5, but I think that might be too wide for me.

I am lowered on ISC/XLR8 coils on stock Type S waffles with about 1.5 finger gap (10 cm rim to fender). I would prefer not to roll fenders, but have accepted that I may have to.

Any help from all you fitment pros would be super appreciated.

Here is the wheel which I will have powdercoated to Type S gunmetal:

http://www.getyourwheels.com/view-wh...9-hyper-silver
Old 03-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Get a couple dozen flat washer that will fit over the studs and placing a few on 3 of the studs add and or subtract till you have the clearances you want then measure the stack of washers. Why redrill? maybe you can get lucky and find an adapter / spacer that will do both. How do you redrill and not end up with an oval hole?
Old 03-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Get a couple dozen flat washer that will fit over the studs and placing a few on 3 of the studs add and or subtract till you have the clearances you want then measure the stack of washers. Why redrill? maybe you can get lucky and find an adapter / spacer that will do both. How do you redrill and not end up with an oval hole?
Wheels only come in 5x120 pattern. They would fill the original holes and drill for 5x114.3 pattern. I guess playing around may be the only option just was wondering of anyone knew what offset would be ideal for a flush look, no poke or stretch.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
18x8.5 +35 will be flush enough if you don't want to run narrow tires. It's not aggressive by any means but with a 235 or 245 wide tire, anything much more aggressive might require you to roll your rear fenders.

Here's my TL when I had 18x8.5 +35f/+25r with 235/40/18 and Tein S-Tech springs. The rear fenders had to be rolled.

The following users liked this post:
ryan g (03-08-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Mine front & back with a 235/35/19 on a 8.5" rim .. 35 offset.

ryan g (03-08-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 02:10 PM

^Did you have to roll your rear fenders?
Old 03-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
^Did you have to roll your rear fenders?

No and my camber is near zero.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:16 PM

Old 03-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

These are both very helpful and similar to what I am going for. CLtotheTL, yours is almost spot on to what I am looking for. I do need a spacer in the front so hopefully I can get away with a 5mm from and 10mm rear to get +30 and +25. I was planning on running a 235 tire so I may have to roll.

I guess I will have to try Jesstzn's washer suggestion when I get the wheels
Old 03-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
I bought these same wheels in that same size and offset and am the reason they say they don't fit haha. I had to return he wheels but got everything refunded since they guaranteed fitment even though I doubted they would clear brembos.

I looked a lot into sizing and I felt 9.5 was too wide for how much work would need to be put in. When I test fitted the wheels with 3d printed spacers, I found I needed 3mm to 5mm to clear brembos. However, I don't like spacers and didn't feel comfortable eliminating the hub the wheel sits on with a small spacer.

Also make sure your tire place will install, rotate, and balance redrilled wheels. Every big box store I went to (discount, Evans, Firestone) REFUSED to touch my wheels when they saw they were redrilled, it was company policy. You can tell they are redrilled because they insert a sleeve after drilling a new hole and it's very visible from the back side.

The wheels look amazing and I would have loved to run them, but the were too many issues to go through and looking back it was a blessing in disguise they didn't clear my brakes. Fell in love with my cheap xxrs again haha.

Let me know if you have any questions or want pics of my test fit
ryan g (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sockr1
I bought these same wheels in that same size and offset and am the reason they say they don't fit haha. I had to return he wheels but got everything refunded since they guaranteed fitment even though I doubted they would clear brembos.

I looked a lot into sizing and I felt 9.5 was too wide for how much work would need to be put in. When I test fitted the wheels with 3d printed spacers, I found I needed 3mm to 5mm to clear brembos. However, I don't like spacers and didn't feel comfortable eliminating the hub the wheel sits on with a small spacer.

Also make sure your tire place will install, rotate, and balance redrilled wheels. Every big box store I went to (discount, Evans, Firestone) REFUSED to touch my wheels when they saw they were redrilled, it was company policy. You can tell they are redrilled because they insert a sleeve after drilling a new hole and it's very visible from the back side.

The wheels look amazing and I would have loved to run them, but the were too many issues to go through and looking back it was a blessing in disguise they didn't clear my brakes. Fell in love with my cheap xxrs again haha.

Let me know if you have any questions or want pics of my test fit
I remember seeing your dilemma in flip_side's post haha. We seem to have the same thoughts on these cause 9.5 is too wide for me. The rep at AG told me I would not see the sleeve since I am getting them powder coated. I am leaning towards the option of having getyourwheels.com mount some Nittos when they ship them anyway. I'd prefer not to run spacers but if all I need is 5 up front and 10 rear, I can live with that. I love the 530s on the TL but when I saw these that was it haha. I think I'm gonna go for it
Old 03-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ryan g
I remember seeing your dilemma in flip_side's post haha. We seem to have the same thoughts on these cause 9.5 is too wide for me. The rep at AG told me I would not see the sleeve since I am getting them powder coated. I am leaning towards the option of having getyourwheels.com mount some Nittos when they ship them anyway. I'd prefer not to run spacers but if all I need is 5 up front and 10 rear, I can live with that. I love the 530s on the TL but when I saw these that was it haha. I think I'm gonna go for it
One other thing I thought of is that the lug threads are reduced when running spacers with these wheels, I think I only had 3 threads or so after using the right spacer. Not trying to scare you just letting you know my experience. Man, I was so disappointed these wheels didn't clear!

Make sure you put up some pics, they are great looking wheels!
Old 04-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Intermediate

One other thing I thought of is that the lug threads are reduced when running spacers with these wheels, I think I only had 3 threads or so after using the right spacer. Not trying to scare you just letting you know my experience. Man, I was so disappointed these wheels didn't clear!

Make sure you put up some pics, they are great looking wheels!
Trigger has been pulled and wheels should be in powder coating stage by now. Should have them by the end of the month. How certain are you on that 5mm to clear brembos? Getyourwheels has been telling me 7mm. I'd much rather get an ichiba or akata 5mm v1 than have to go custom.

I am going to test fit myself just looking to be able to double check
Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ryan g
Trigger has been pulled and wheels should be in powder coating stage by now. Should have them by the end of the month. How certain are you on that 5mm to clear brembos? Getyourwheels has been telling me 7mm. I'd much rather get an ichiba or akata 5mm v1 than have to go custom.

I am going to test fit myself just looking to be able to double check
i'm very confident. i 3d printed different thickness and kept adding them in 1mm increments til it cleared. to verify yourself, just wait til the wheels come and add washers until you clear, then measure how thick the washers are.

and update with pics here!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Intermediate

i'm very confident. i 3d printed different thickness and kept adding them in 1mm increments til it cleared. to verify yourself, just wait til the wheels come and add washers until you clear, then measure how thick the washers are.

and update with pics here!
Yea that was the plan, have the washers ready and waiting. Good thinking with the 3d printed spacers, how much did that cost? Definitely will post pictures.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Safety Car

I have an fdm machine at work (another benefit of being an engineer) and only printed exact thicknesses in washer sizes so it cost me nothing. I'll put up some pics today of the test fitting