Att: 18" tire owners.....what brand do you have ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004 | 11:31 PM
Club Abyss Member

Att: 18" tire owners.....what brand do you have ??

i'll start.....Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
Old 07-06-2004 | 02:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Cdn04TL
i'll start.....Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
Hi,

how much did you pay per tire (Michelin Pilot A/S)?
I am looking for 245/40/18. Best I found is 240 (incl. the instalations) in coscto tire shop...
Old 07-06-2004 | 08:55 PM
Club Abyss Member

Originally Posted by oppnyc
Hi,

how much did you pay per tire (Michelin Pilot A/S)?
I am looking for 245/40/18. Best I found is 240 (incl. the instalations) in coscto tire shop...
$ 400 per tire including installation......
Old 07-07-2004 | 03:01 PM
Silky Smooth

are the Micehelin Pilot Sports A/S the best tires you can get for 18 inch? Are they better then say pirellis?
Old 07-16-2004 | 05:16 PM
8th Gear

Within the past year Consumer Reports had a test of high performance tires. I trust their reports (with a grain of salt) more than those from owners on TireRack.com - no axes to grind, no sour grapes. The TireRack and other similar owner reports are filled with conflicting views (smoothest tire I ever drove vs. flat-spots within hours; Loud/quiet, sticky/slippery, etc.). A person's individual report is based on their experience with a previous tire and their best recollection of that tire. Consumer Reports uses the same vehicle for the same test on the same day on the same track - and all the car magazines do an even better job (Car and Driver, Road and Track, MotorTrend, etc.).

But it comes down to how you drive, where you drive, and what you want from a tire. Long tread life and sticky tires are conflicting design choices. I drive in the Chicago area, needing good wet weather traction (more rain than snow) and decent snow traction (not all THAT much snow, not all THAT deep - easier if you've driven in it all your life). Almost all High Peformance and Ultra High Performance tires are going to give more-than-adequate performance in dry weather (certainly more than I need driving 10 miles each way between home/work in lousy traffic). So MY personal choice for my OEM 18" wheels is something that gets the best possible grip (for a year-round Ultra High Performance tire - after all these are not anywhere as good as moderately decent snow tires) in snow, a very good grip in water (snow eventually melts in the Chicago area), and accepting whatever the dry performance gives. Aside from ride comfort, tire noise, and tread life I really have a tough time believing that almost any TL owner can HONESTLY tell all that much difference between Ultra High Performance tires for more than a few miles after they switch. The human body is astoundingly adapatable. Maybe I'm just too easy, maybe my memory is too short! :-)

I just placed an order with TireRack for 4 235/40WR18 (doggone it: TireRack says the "W" limits me to 168 mph -- in rush hour traffic) Yokohama AVS dB S2 tires to replace the same size Yokohama AVS ES100 (summer-only) tires that came on my April 1, 2004-deilvered TL. The ES100's only have a wee bit over 3,000 miles on them (so I hope to sell them for about 75% of current retail). I didn't want to replace them, but even more I really, really don't want to buy 4 more winter rims, 4 new winter tires, swap them each season (and you KNOW I'll always swap them just a little too late each fall), or... to store those 4 spare sets all year long. So... I compromise, giving up performance for year-round safety. There's not a tire sold anywhere on the planet that's not better than the bias-ply tires I started driving on!

Mike
Old 07-19-2004 | 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrwalter
Within the past year Consumer Reports had a test of high performance tires. I trust their reports (with a grain of salt) more than those from owners on TireRack.com - no axes to grind, no sour grapes. The TireRack and other similar owner reports are filled with conflicting views (smoothest tire I ever drove vs. flat-spots within hours; Loud/quiet, sticky/slippery, etc.). A person's individual report is based on their experience with a previous tire and their best recollection of that tire. Consumer Reports uses the same vehicle for the same test on the same day on the same track - and all the car magazines do an even better job (Car and Driver, Road and Track, MotorTrend, etc.).

But it comes down to how you drive, where you drive, and what you want from a tire. Long tread life and sticky tires are conflicting design choices. I drive in the Chicago area, needing good wet weather traction (more rain than snow) and decent snow traction (not all THAT much snow, not all THAT deep - easier if you've driven in it all your life). Almost all High Peformance and Ultra High Performance tires are going to give more-than-adequate performance in dry weather (certainly more than I need driving 10 miles each way between home/work in lousy traffic). So MY personal choice for my OEM 18" wheels is something that gets the best possible grip (for a year-round Ultra High Performance tire - after all these are not anywhere as good as moderately decent snow tires) in snow, a very good grip in water (snow eventually melts in the Chicago area), and accepting whatever the dry performance gives. Aside from ride comfort, tire noise, and tread life I really have a tough time believing that almost any TL owner can HONESTLY tell all that much difference between Ultra High Performance tires for more than a few miles after they switch. The human body is astoundingly adapatable. Maybe I'm just too easy, maybe my memory is too short! :-)

I just placed an order with TireRack for 4 235/40WR18 (doggone it: TireRack says the "W" limits me to 168 mph -- in rush hour traffic) Yokohama AVS dB S2 tires to replace the same size Yokohama AVS ES100 (summer-only) tires that came on my April 1, 2004-deilvered TL. The ES100's only have a wee bit over 3,000 miles on them (so I hope to sell them for about 75% of current retail). I didn't want to replace them, but even more I really, really don't want to buy 4 more winter rims, 4 new winter tires, swap them each season (and you KNOW I'll always swap them just a little too late each fall), or... to store those 4 spare sets all year long. So... I compromise, giving up performance for year-round safety. There's not a tire sold anywhere on the planet that's not better than the bias-ply tires I started driving on!

Mike

ok, but if you find 20 reviews on tirerack and they all mention "light rain slipping while turning the corner" you know there's an issue wit the tire.

have to driven on any other brands (all season peformance tires) ?? were they any good/bad??
Old 07-20-2004 | 05:28 PM
Racer

Check out this thread...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85782

I paid $930 for 4 Mich Pilot Sport A/S 245/40/18 including the current $50 rebate. This is installed with tax and road hazard warranty! I used Costco as the basis and NTB (Sears) beat it. Also, somehow, NTB offers a mileage warranty with these tires!