Aspec strut assembly just installed and it is not good

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingkong_dav
I got the rear struts/coil aspec package in. thanks to 40kal for the rear seat removal link i didnt break my rear seats. I did my alignment too. I adjusted the right rear toe, and left front toe. The main reason why i chose the aspec sport suspension strut assembly is because i had a lot of cupping on my rear tires. long story short, acura's sport suspension is totally worth every dime. mild lowering with super handling. just like acura promise.
i guess they have settle!! if yes,
Old 04-19-2011, 09:05 PM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
i bought the strut assembly for 690 directly in person at the dealer. the sport suspension is ultra responsive on turns and cornering. it does not bounce. it feels very O.E and i feel special to buy this strut assembly because they are discontinuing it. only 800 sets left in the states. If you don't have acura's sport suspension, i say GET IT
Old 04-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldnKnight22
Well, since I was quoted by IHC, I never said A-specs suck.

I will stand behind my belief that the A-specs could still benefit from a stiffer spring rate if they in fact intend on being a "track-tuned" setup. I'm not going to dispute a member's SCCA success with A-Specs, but it doesn't mean that's the ideal track setup.

My answer to your questions would be "yes", but I'm not calling myself an expert and I'm not here to get into a pissing contest. All I was saying is that there have been many owners who had A-specs and changed to a different setup and were happier with the handling and performance of other setup. I'll just leave it at that.

Regardless, OP is crazy for starting this thread barking about how the A-specs aren't any good when he didn't even install the rears yet. C'mon man. Also, if you're going to be buying a new suspension setup, you'd think you would have an idea as to what differences it will make. OP seems like he was expecting a 2" drop.
I don't want to come across harsh, most of that wasn't aimed at you. I understand that a-spec is not for people wanting to slam the car or associate good handling with a firm ride.

My main point was handling balance is more important than less body roll. Acura did a good job in the tuning because just like a larger rsb, the a-spec gets rid of a lot of the understeer where many aftermarket spring rates actually increase understeer. During normal driving you won't know this until you push the car to it's limit. A-spec only feels a little firmer than stock but it's what's beneath the surface that really makes it handle.

What you shoot for is equal traction between the front and rear end. You can stiffen the ride up a lot but if the balance shifts so that the rear tires have much more traction than the front, the front tires break free prematurely, limiting the cornering speed. Again, the only way to know this is to take it to the limit. That was one thing I didn't like about the stock suspension. It felt ok for stock but when you pushed it past 7/10s driving it went from feeling ok to the front tires just giving up and trying to push a straight line instead of turning. I was a bit worried when I first installed the a-spec because it wasn't that much stiffer but as I started taking the car up to 7/10ths and beyond, it just kept wanting more.

A-spec is not stiff enough to take full advantage of sticky tires. It's not stiff enough for a dedicated track setup. But I think it offers a great compromise for the person that daily drives the car and takes it to the track occasionally. It was almost funny to see the TL that won in SCCA. It was on slicks and the bodyrolll was so bad it looked like it was going to flip, but it handled well.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:15 PM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
Long story short (i hate cars) ,I say get the A spec sport suspension. I know i installed the front units only and i was worried. but after the rear ones went on, it was good. Mmm Mmm good. It makes me feel special to have them on. 12,000 miles or 1 year warranty from leaks and cupping on the tires. Free exchange..
Old 04-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
^u got the aspec to fix ur cupping? hmm...

have any pics u can contribute? im curious how it looks
Old 04-20-2011, 12:10 PM
OOOOOH

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
IHC, thanks for the reply. I figured it wasn't so much directed at me. lol
Old 04-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
oh please, everyone with your opinions on aspec being a waste (different strokes for different folks). really it is dependent upon what YOU want out of it. ASPEC is not for looks as it is for handling since it was tuned for the car. if you want slammed or a more of a drop than aspec find something else.

back to the OP, the back seat is not all that hard once you've figured it out. is it a PITA, yes, but i was able to tear my backseat out (again) after the initial install of my suspension by myself to recheck the rear upper strut mounts (i had a rattle after i did my install). if you have to, loosen the entire bolt up top by the head rest. during reassembly just thread it in and then put the seatback onto the mounting bolts...tighten.

one other thing....make sure you tighten your endlinks for your sway bars to avoid any obnoxious rattles (been there done that, so did a few others).

as far as your drop...you are only going to get about 3/4" drop, subtle. handling will be so much better. mine didn't change much after the car was lowered from the floor jack, drove around for like 5 min and it dropped about 1/2". did my alignment a couple days after, and the car has pretty much settled out to 3/4".

not sure what you were looking for in the aspec for your car (as all the aspec haters have voiced "there is no drop, what's the point?"), but as far as performance goes...i like it, i like it a lot. the drop, that's a nice bonus, my car is a daily driver, i still want some amount of comfort, with a touch of fun around corners. if you were looking for a bigger drop...well...that's what aftermarket has to offer, if aesthetics is what you were aiming for.

hope the rest of your install went smoothly.
IMO, regarding YO, you just sold me on how to lower my 06 NBP I'm going the ASPEC way as my car is a daily driver also.