Another TPMS sensor moutnting question... This one's new!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 11:11 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Another TPMS sensor moutnting question... This one's new!

I've done my due diligence and scoured the forum regarding the use of TPMS sensors in 04-05 Aspec or Aftermarket wheels...

The conclusion is this:

2006 A-specs have a notch in the rim for the sensors which is speculated to help in maintaining wheel balance. Many folks here highly reccomend using 2006 A-Spec rims if you wish to maintain your TPMS...

BUT...

MANY other folks have successfully swapped over the sensors to aftermarket wheels, which obviously have no notch... Thus the notch is compensated for in wheels weights...
With that said, it's a fair assessment that 04-05 A-spec rims will work just fine with the 2006 TPMS, they'll just be a little more difficult to balance.

Here's my conundrum...

I picked up a MINT set of 2005 A-spec wheels with Falken ZE512's installed (from the Black Market). I also picked up an extra set of TPMS from a seller here on the forum.

I took these to my local Merchant's tire for installation. The rep told me "there is some equipment the dealer has to use to scan the sensors to connect them to yuor car..."... and that "he couldn't do it". None of the other posts indicate that they HAD to have the dealer set up thier new TPMS sensor, they just attached them to the valve stem and off they went

So... my questions is:

1) Is there a dealer required action to install a new set TPMS sensors? or is this guy confusing the setup procedures for another make wioth Acura's? Can I just say, "break down the tire, install the sensor, and give it back..." I'll deal with the rest.

2) If not, what prevents another 2006 TL from pulling along side to your right, and the his left sensor begin interfering with your right sensors?

Curious...
Old 05-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
I've done my due diligence and scoured the forum regarding the use of TPMS sensors in 04-05 Aspec or Aftermarket wheels...

The conclusion is this:

2006 A-specs have a notch in the rim for the sensors which is speculated to help in maintaining wheel balance. Many folks here highly reccomend using 2006 A-Spec rims if you wish to maintain your TPMS...

BUT...

MANY other folks have successfully swapped over the sensors to aftermarket wheels, which obviously have no notch... Thus the notch is compensated for in wheels weights...
With that said, it's a fair assessment that 04-05 A-spec rims will work just fine with the 2006 TPMS, they'll just be a little more difficult to balance.

Here's my conundrum...

I picked up a MINT set of 2005 A-spec wheels with Falken ZE512's installed (from the Black Market). I also picked up an extra set of TPMS from a seller here on the forum.

I took these to my local Merchant's tire for installation. The rep told me "there is some equipment the dealer has to use to scan the sensors to connect them to yuor car..."... and that "he couldn't do it". None of the other posts indicate that they HAD to have the dealer set up thier new TPMS sensor, they just attached them to the valve stem and off they went

So... my questions is:

1) Is there a dealer required action to install a new set TPMS sensors? or is this guy confusing the setup procedures for another make wioth Acura's? Can I just say, "break down the tire, install the sensor, and give it back..." I'll deal with the rest.

2) If not, what prevents another 2006 TL from pulling along side to your right, and the his left sensor begin interfering with your right sensors?

Curious...
I purchased an 05 A Spec rims for my 06 TL. I also bought a set of the sensors and had it mounted together with the tires(not by the dealer). I was a little concerned if the sensor will work.
VOILA.....no problem. There's no setup or any additional steps needed for it to work.

The dealer (ACURA) told me that the rims are the same except that the 06 comes with the sensors and the higher price.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sushi96720
The dealer (ACURA) told me that the rims are the same except that the 06 comes with the sensors and the higher price.
Yup thats true, they are the same just that the 06 comes with the sensors and the 06 wheels don't even have a notch like Kennedy said. I have the 06 a-spec wheels and no notch to compensate for the weight, exactly the same as 05 a-specs
Old 05-15-2006, 12:34 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by whatjones911
Yup thats true, they are the same just that the 06 comes with the sensors and the 06 wheels don't even have a notch like Kennedy said. I have the 06 a-spec wheels and no notch to compensate for the weight, exactly the same as 05 a-specs

I believe you guys... I found 3 posts referenceing this "notch" when searching on this... Perhaps the dealer hasn't looked that hard at the rims, or perhaps you have an older 2005 rim?

Either way, I have two validated sources that say these 2005 rims CAN have TPMS installed, and I DON'T have to go to the dealer to get it done.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Instructor

I am ready to make the jump to new wheels and this is a big help
Old 05-15-2006, 12:55 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Thanks to all for answering this- I bought 04 TL rims and now want to put the TPMS in the rims to avoid the dash light (well, as well as to monitor the tire pressure).
Old 05-16-2006, 08:14 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

VALIDATED...
Guys,
Merchant tire just insatlled 2006 TPMS sesnors in my 2005 A-Spec rims with no issues at all.

The only reccomendation was that at tire replacement time, extra car should be taken to ensure the sensors aren't damaged during removal.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
What extra care?

I'm about to have winters put on my stock 06 rims that have the TPMS sensors ...

It says care should be taken removing the old tire ... care as in ? .. Should the bead be broken at or opposite the sensor?

What other issues should I inform the tire shop to look out for?

I did a search .. no luck ..

TYIA
The following users liked this post:
Azurite (06-10-2011)
Old 11-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Bump ... no one reads this forum???
Old 11-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I'm about to have winters put on my stock 06 rims that have the TPMS sensors ...

It says care should be taken removing the old tire ... care as in ? .. Should the bead be broken at or opposite the sensor?

What other issues should I inform the tire shop to look out for?

I did a search .. no luck ..

TYIA
Just Inform the tire dealer that you have TPMS on the Tire valves as OEM Equipment. Be sure that they indicate it on your work order.

If they do not know how to operate their equipment with the presence of TPMS, look for another tire shop.

TPMS might be new on 2006 TL but some other cars had them for over 3 years now and tire equipment manufacurers are offering courses on the way to mount and dismount tires with TPMS.

Again, If they do not know, run away from them!

Best regards

Frenchnew