All koni shocks riders, what firm position?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All koni shocks riders, what firm position?

i drive mostly city (nyc) trying for first time the koni sport at full soft with h&R sport, it rides really good. would like to know what other acurazine member have then set and your driving condition.

one last question, to adjust the rear shock do i always have to remove the backseat?
Old 10-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the Summer I run 3/4 turn from full soft, Winter I adjust to 1/2 turn. Perfect for me as our roads up here are pretty chewed up and cold ambient temperatures have an effect on damping/rebound.

If I lived in a warmer all year round climate with glass smooth roads everywhere, I'd be running them at probably 1 turn from full soft....anything firmer is for a track IMO.

To adjust the rears, the seat back has to come off. It'd be great to get an EDC (electronic damping controller) for these and be able to adjust from a switch in the cabin.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Konis should be set based on the spring/swaybar combo you're running. The stiffer the spring the more damping it needs. Shocks control the suspension/spring and body motions. Too stiff ruins handling and comfort. Too soft won't affect steady state handling much but it will take longer to take a set into a corner.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Konis should be set based on the spring/swaybar combo you're running. The stiffer the spring the more damping it needs. Shocks control the suspension/spring and body motions. Too stiff ruins handling and comfort. Too soft won't affect steady state handling much but it will take longer to take a set into a corner.
i'm running H&R sport spring and OEM swaybar do you recommend full soft or what?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Team Owner

For those I would do anywhere from full soft to 1 turn from full soft.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Question

For those I would do anywhere from full soft to 1 turn from full soft.
Hey IHC, what if you have the Progress rear sway bar, and type-s front, as well as the SP3 Konis/H&R sport spring?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
Hey IHC, what if you have the Progress rear sway bar, and type-s front, as well as the SP3 Konis/H&R sport spring?
It's really hard to say without driving it. I have a-spec springs with the H&R 28mm bar up front and I have my Konis just over half way on the firmness.

The best advice I can give is to take it around some corners with bumps starting from about 1 turn from soft. Try it in small increments until you feel the body and suspension is well controlled without being too harsh. Basically the softest you can run them while controlling the suspension and body motions.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:04 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
It's really hard to say without driving it. I have a-spec springs with the H&R 28mm bar up front and I have my Konis just over half way on the firmness.

The best advice I can give is to take it around some corners with bumps starting from about 1 turn from soft. Try it in small increments until you feel the body and suspension is well controlled without being too harsh. Basically the softest you can run them while controlling the suspension and body motions.
Thanks, and I will adjust the firmness back to 1 turn from full soft in the front(@ 1 1/4 turn from full soft now), and then adjust the rear to 1 turn as well (@ 3/4 turn from full soft). And then go from there in slight increments. It handles a lot better than stock, although I have never had adjustable shocks, so I don't know how firm I need for the best performance with all around decent ride quality. I thought i read somewhere that the front should be slightly firmer.? I am lowered on the 2nd to lowest perch level. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Slpr04UA6; 10-06-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
In the Summer I run 3/4 turn from full soft, Winter I adjust to 1/2 turn. Perfect for me as our roads up here are pretty chewed up and cold ambient temperatures have an effect on damping/rebound.

If I lived in a warmer all year round climate with glass smooth roads everywhere, I'd be running them at probably 1 turn from full soft....anything firmer is for a track IMO.

To adjust the rears, the seat back has to come off. It'd be great to get an EDC (electronic damping controller) for these and be able to adjust from a switch in the cabin.

thanx, i went 3/4 from full soft all around and the different is amazing. i feel like i'm driving a bmw m3 because it feels so stiff and smooth in the road. it is so much fun to drive now. I live in nyc and was concerned about ny street being so harsh that i would not like koni shocks. When the installation was completed i had on full soft and the different was amazing, it felt stiff and like i actually had control over my car. After driving for a couple of day i notice that having a stiff car over a soft was a much better driving experience and started to feel my car at soft setting to soft for me. Now after adjusting it to 3/4 i'm loving this setting but who know if in a few days i still find this setting to soft, This is the best suspentions i have had in any car (h&r sport with koni yellow).
Old 10-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
I do full soft.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What springrates do you have front/rear? I have similar goals with my car like you and I'm going to copy your suspension

If I could summarize what I learned from your posts on the sway bars subject, the TL-S 27mm solid with Progress 24mm on firm setting is (nearly) balanced on itself, while the H&R 28mm on soft setting is stiffer and requires stiffer rear suspension to balance understeer/oversteer, but it is worth it and gives better overall results in the end, is that right?
Old 10-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by nutnut
What springrates do you have front/rear? I have similar goals with my car like you and I'm going to copy your suspension

If I could summarize what I learned from your posts on the sway bars subject, the TL-S 27mm solid with Progress 24mm on firm setting is (nearly) balanced on itself, while the H&R 28mm on soft setting is stiffer and requires stiffer rear suspension to balance understeer/oversteer, but it is worth it and gives better overall results in the end, is that right?
Exactly. I definately recommend the 27/24 combo especially for an easy install and be done with it.

The 28/24 required the rear springs to be stiffened. It barely makes a difference in ride quality in the front seats but the rear passengers hate it. On regular summer tires this had hardly any percievable body roll. On the stickier NT05s it has some.

I don't know the spring rates of the A-spec springs but from what others have said, they're stiffer than some of the "sport" springs but softer than many of the "race" springs. I like them because they seem to take away some of the understeer and they're not progressive.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
i have mine set to 1.5 turns on the back and 1/3 turn on the front. it really depends on how stiff your springs and sway bars are. i have the type S front sway bar and the prgress on the back set to firm. i have to set the front soft to avoid understeer. you really have to test drive and adjust over and over again. keep records of settings and how it rides till you find what you like. if you get understeer soften the front and stiffin the back. if you get too much over steer you have to sofen the back and stiffen the front. always adjest little by little and test ur car. fine adustments can even go down to different tire pressures. (should be a little higher in the rear) but keep adjusting and testing