Alignment needed? (Picture)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Alignment needed? (Picture)

Hey guys!

Previous owner had the car aligned last year due to the tires wearing bad. So since the tires were on their last legs I decided to put a new set of tires on. 245/45/17 Cooper CS5 Ultra. Had an appointment for an alignment check and waited on it.

Got the results in:
Alignment needed? (Picture)-elky7fw.jpg

4 wheel alignment with the coupon I had was only $60. I decided not to have it done because the service writer said my tires won't wear real bad at its current alignment not being that far off. He said camber cannot be adjusted unless I get aftermarket rear control arms. I thought it was weird that Acura didn't have adjustment on the factory ones from the factory. Seems odd, but it is true from what I have read.
My main concern is the front end toe since toe does affects tire wear the most. Having the front toe completely opposite, one being in the borderline + and the other being in borderline -. I really didn't justify spending $60 to adjust the toe and tiny bit but I guess I could have.

Worry about the current specs with the new tires? Stock suspension by the way.

Or don't worry about it? My main concern is tire wear.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
I'd do it just for the toe alone.

Toe should be zeroed out.
The following users liked this post:
4drturbo (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I'd do it just for the toe alone.

Toe should be zeroed out.
Yeah that is what I was thinking afterwards. :/ He made it sound like, "if its in green its good" But that is not the case, toe should be as close to 0 as possible. It is crazy how .01 degree can affect things.

Don't mess/worry about the camber though?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
The camber really isn't too bad. You were right in the OP that if you want to get them in check, you'll need aftermarket adjustable camber arms.

If tire wear is the main concern, just zero out the toe. My indie alignment tech charges 100 to align but he's ridiculously patient and meticulous and makes sure to completely zero out the toe. I used to have one of those lifetime alignments from Discount Tire and they had me in and out in 15 minutes once and it was because "green = good" in their eyes. I never went back
Old 10-04-2017, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Yeah that is what I am worried about. "Well we got it in the green and that is all we need to do." I will give them a call and see if they can get it right at 0 with the 2 front wheels or pretty damn close.

I had a lifetime alignment warranty with NTB in the past and then they broke a trailing arm bolt and put me on my way. I got a hold of their district manager and complained saying I could of wrecked my car. They made things right but they discontinued my warranty. That was years ago, but I got my $$$ worth.