Is 3rd Gen TL double wisbone rear? I don't see the outer arm

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is 3rd Gen TL double wisbone rear? I don't see the outer arm

I don't see the outer control arm ( or what ever t is called) that usually sticks into the wheel well. Our TL has it in the front wheel well, but in the rear the current set up looks more like multi-link strut .

WHaz the deal?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gainful
I don't see the outer control arm ( or what ever t is called) that usually sticks into the wheel well. Our TL has it in the front wheel well, but in the rear the current set up looks more like multi-link strut .

WHaz the deal?

The following quote is from Hondanews.com. Here's the LINK if you're interested in reading more: "The TL rear suspension is a 5-link independent system with struts, coil springs and anti-squat and anti-lift geometry. It mounts to a steel subframe to improve road isolation and a help provide a quiet interior. The rear suspension geometry adds "toe-in" when the suspension is compressed, improving handling stability over bumps and during hard cornering and braking.

A stabilizer bar further improves handling by limiting body roll, while a special "pillow joint" for the lateral links improves camber rigidity. Rubber shims on the leading and trailing arm bushings improve ride comfort."

So the rear is not a double wishbone suspension.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Racer

The readings seems to me is BS Acura trying to justify its cost-cutting behavior. I guess the information you provide explains why many people have the problem: the rear end jerking around when going over bumps with passengers in the back seat.

Nice job Acura and we start to know what a value luxury car means to us.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Shift_faster

Sell your car. It is the only solution.

Obviously the rear suspension NOT being a double-wishbone bothers you this week. What was it last week? The low air dam scraping?

And the week before?

p.s. By the way, some people are having a genuine problem like accelerated rear tire wear due to the way the suspension compresses with a full load. Now THAT is something to complain about.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
lets post in the right forum first eh?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Racer

dear moderator, the tire/suspension sub forum has much less people visiting thats why I posted it here. Please move it if should.

For the TL, I do feel it is less stable on highway, compared to the TSX, which has double wisbone front and rear. TSX has a better handling response and well-balanced roda manner. THe driving feel much like the 2nd Gen TL.

SOme members comment " 3rd gen TL requires more driver attention thats why it feels not as stable as 2nd gen" doesn't hold.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Sell your car. It is the only solution.

Obviously the rear suspension NOT being a double-wishbone bothers you this week. What was it last week? The low air dam scraping?

And the week before?
The "issue" before was the equally important "hump" in the hood... Next week=
Old 11-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

dear moderator, the tire/suspension sub forum has much less people visiting thats why I posted it here. Please move it if should.

For the TL, I do feel it is less stable on highway, compared to the TSX, which has double wisbone front and rear. TSX has a better handling response and well-balanced roda manner. THe driving feel much like the 2nd Gen TL.

SOme members comment " 3rd gen TL requires more driver attention thats why it feels not as stable as 2nd gen" doesn't hold.
The TSX has a multi-link rear like the TL. It doesn't have a double wishbone in the rear.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Pro

The readings seems to me is BS Acura trying to justify its cost-cutting behavior. I guess the information you provide explains why many people have the problem: the rear end jerking around when going over bumps with passengers in the back seat.

Nice job Acura and we start to know what a value luxury car means to us.
You signed the contract KNOWING what the features of the car where and how it handled during the test drive, thats if you test drove it. Shut up and stop complaining.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by whatjones911
The TSX has a multi-link rear like the TL. It doesn't have a double wishbone in the rear.
http://www.acura.ca/AcuraEng/Models/...?ModelName=TSX
Old 11-30-2005, 06:23 PM
B A N N E D

Dude....you gotta stop with these stupid posts! I mean issues are issues....but yours seem never ending! Sell the car already!

You dont know this guy name ElmerHiggins do you?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Racer

WHaz the deal?
" Since the late 80s, multi-link rear suspension is increasingly used in modern sedans and coupes. The earliest applicants include Nissan 200SX, Infiniti Q45, Mercedes S-class and BMW 3-Series etc.

It is difficult to describe its construction because it is not strictly defined. In theory, any independent suspensions having 3 control arms or more are multi-link. Different designs may have very different geometry and characteristic, for example, BMW's multilink looks like a letter "Z", thus gave its name "Z-axle". It is relatively space-engaging but offers very good handling; Honda Accord's multi-link is essentially a double wishbones suspension added with the fifth control arm. Audi A4's Quadralink front suspension has four links. It looks alike double wishbones but eliminates torque steer.

It is too early to say whether multi-link suspension offer handling on a par with double wishbones. Most sports cars and all the best racing cars still use double wishbones. Only Porsche 993 and 996, Nissan Skyline GT-R etc. chose multi-link instead. However, it seems that multi-link can offer better compromise between handling and space efficiency, as more and more sedans adopt it. Honda, which used to be a loyal supporter of double wishbones, shifted to multi-link setup in the latest Accord could be an evidence.

Advantage: Good handling and ride.
Disadvantage: Not as cheap and as compact as MacPherson and Torsion beam.
Who use it ? Mid-size to luxurious sedans. "

I pulled this info off of the Autozine Technical School website.

Important points to note are that Audi (A4), Porsche (993 and 996), Nissan (Skyline GT-R), Infiniti (Q45), Mercedes (S-class), BMW (3-series) all have or currently use some form of multilink suspension. That sounds like pretty good company to be in.